Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,037 Interview Reviews

3.1

1,037 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

All interviews are technical. Started with an on campus interview in September, but there was a hold on submitting candidates to final round that got lifted in December. Flew out to Seattle for a 4 more interviews (spaced out with a 15 min break)

Interview Questions

• Print out all the nodes in a binary in order without recursion.   1 Answer
  • Return the longest palindromic substring.   1 Answer
  • Print nodes in balanced tree level by level and reversing the print order every other level.   2 Answers
  • Get k largest elements in a list, extremely large list (doesn't fit in memory), write actual test cases.   1 Answer
  • Determine if a linked list is circular (give upper and lower on runtime bounds given the choices made/optimal ratio)   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Great process. Passed the first screen interview with a full-time engineer that came to my college campus. I feel like that interview was mostly about personality and fit, more than engineering prowess. The on-site interviews was a round of 4 interviews back-to-back. Enjoyed the experience with every interviewer. The questions were not hard, but not drop dead easy.

Interview Questions

• Find the common ancestor in a binary tree.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied and got an on-campus interview because of a connection with Campus Recruitment.

The interview was quick, with a coding question, some resume review, and a question about explaining and making a simple diagram of a previous project. Not a very personal experience, and I likely did not stand out enough as a confident candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given the head of a linked list, write a program in your language of choice to return the middle node of the list.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was referred by someone who works at Microsoft, and Microsoft gave me an interview at my school campus. The interview was 30 minutes long, and there were two technical questions to be solved on a white board. One was hard, the other was easy. Both problems were vague about the exact specifications of the input/output.

Interview Questions

• a problem about rectangles (not the one floating around the web about determining whether two rectangles overlap).   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had a phone screen that I thought went pretty well. By the end, the recruiter seemed to be hinting I'd get an onsite interview, and assured me I'd hear back from her by the next week because she knew I had a deadline coming up.

Well...2 weeks of silence went by. I emailed the person coordinating the interviews (I had no way of contacting the recruiter herself) and she said they'd get back with me ASAP.

She never got back to me. It has now been 2.5 months of silence. Why you gotta be like that, Microsoft?

Interview Questions

• Just your standard non-technical phone screen with behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

Interview

On-campus interview + on-site interview at Redmond
    Contacted by recruiter for an on-campus interview opportunity. It was a short screening interview with some behavior questions and a coding question, only pseudo code needed.
    On-site interview consists of 4 rounds with each one 45 mins long. Both behavior and coding questions were asked in each round. It's a great experience.

Interview Questions

• behavior questions and coding questions   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

30 minute on-campus interview. Had very brief introductions, an algorithm question, and a couple of minutes for questions. Overall, the very short amount of time left me feeling rushed and with a bad taste in my mouth, since it was clear that the only thing that actually mattered was the single algorithms question.

Interview Questions

• Q: In an array that has one value for more than half of its elements, how can you find that value?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had 4 interviews with Microsoft in Seattle. Each interview was 45 minutes. At the end of each interview, I was given 15 minutes to rest in between. To begin each interview we went over my resume and then went straight into a technical question on the whiteboard. Each of these tested my knowledge of algorithms and data structures.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, and she set up a short phone interview. The recruiter was kind, very prompt and answered any questions I had.

I then had an online round where I had to code a problem and answer a technical solution. I had to write down the answers in the link they provided. You can't copy paste anything, and the code needs to be really good (well indented, good solution, get it as close to compilable as possible, etc) It was a medium level question on leetcode.com
    I was invited for an onsite inteview. This was a hiring event, and a lot of people were interviewed on the same day. We were all given different cubicles, and the interviewers showed up to our room. The interviews were shorter than Microsoft's standard interviews, which meant that we had to get to the solution faster. (The HR there indirectly told us the same thing, not to waste time, try to answer questions correctly as soon as possible)
    There were 4 interviews, and they were all taken by manager or Director level people. They were all very kind, and all of them mentioned that they wished they had more time. The questions were not too hard, but they were definitely not easy too. Again, they were all medium level questions (one hard level question ) on leetcode.com. You get a lot of points for asking good questions, making correct use of the hints they give you, and figuring out the bugs in your code. (This if you don't get the solution straight away).

I got a call two days later saying that I got the job, and I've accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• I've signed an NDA, so I can't really say, but I've mentioned leetcode.com twice, so that should point you in the correct direction. There are a lot of other sites too, like careercup and haccherrank.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

They come and host office hours at my school, and I talk to a recruiter. I tell him about what I love, especially math, and I apply online to the Explore program. I get contacted about an interview for the regular SWE position, and I'm overjoyed. They met me at a local center at my school, and asked me questions about my resume. They were super nice and I loved every part of the experience.

Interview Questions

• Reverse words in a sentence so like
      ex: to be or not to be
      return be to not or be to
      Note: I'm a freshman in college and he knows I don't know much so I got an easy question   2 Answers