Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,037 Interview Reviews

3.1

1,037 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (La Jolla, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I attended the MS 30 min on-campus interview last week. I prepared a lot of behavior questions before but it turned out that the interviewer didn't ask any behavior questions. The coding problem he asked me was to find the next larger element in a BST. He didn't even defined the BST and the function declarations for me, so I had to define it by myself.

Interview Questions

• The coding problem he asked me was to find the next larger element in a BST.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed onsite at Seattle. Very easy questions. I got an offer after 1 day . The entire process was quick. But the offer was pretty low and the team was not ready to negotiate. Declined the offer. Please don't waste time if you are a good candidate, there are lot of companies which pay way better than MS.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find max continuous sum in array?
      2. Simple graph question   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process for Microsoft was pretty standard. I got in through the college career fair, so they had one technical interview in person at the college campus and then 4 rounds of technical interviews at Redmond. The provided with really good accommodation for the onsite interviews and also provided with a discount voucher for the Microsoft Store.

Interview Questions

• The questions were standard technical questions like linked list manipulation, string parsing and graph traversals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (El Paso, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

White board interview at local university. Reverse an integer. Looking for optimized solution and definitely no tostring type of solution. They want to hear you think out loud and are willing to help you.

Interview Questions

• Reverse an integer. Looking for optimized solution and definitely no tostring type of solution   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

On-Campus interview followed by final round in Redmond. The process took 30+ days since all the spots were taken by the time I was signing up. On-Campus was easy with some basic algorithm questions (sorting, tree, etc). Final round was four 45-minute interviews (thought some people only had 3). Lunch was provided.

Interview Questions

• Simple design questions like messaging and elevator controller   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

Interview

I applied through college career fairs and first interviews on campus. Then I went to Redmond for on-site interview. The whole process took about 5 weeks. On-site interview was 4 round 1-1 interview. Little talks about former project, algorithms based.

Interview Questions

• How would you test whether a sort function for pairs is correct?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

I received a conformation email from the company with time, location, and dress code. At the interview I was asked a few questions about personality and a single coding question.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a singly linked list.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

I had the initial phone screen and got rejected 3 weeks later. They asked me a series of behavioral questions, and one logic puzzle (fruits and baskets with wrong labels).

I am surprised and disappointed in the rejection because I feel that I'm a strong candidate (had final round interviews with very competitive companies). I solved the brain teaser and felt I did a decent job on the behavioral aspect. However, my interviewer was NOT a technical person, so she couldn't answer any of the more technical oriented questions I asked at the end. I remember my interview only lasted about 20 minutes. She ended my interview before I could think of more questions to ask. I am very confident that if I had a technical person interview me, they'd have a way better understanding of my skill set.

Needless to say I won't be applying to Microsoft again.

Interview Questions

• Three baskets. One has apples, one has oranges, one has both. They are all labeled incorrectly. Find out which basket contains which with only 1 draw.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied via campus career fair, then it takes around one week to get the on-campus interview. After one week of the on-campus interview, I was invited to the San Francisco doing the on-site interview. Everything goes on very well, people are nice, food is good, etc. We had four round interviews, coding based and behavior questions also.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

First round - on campus 45 minutes coding round. Flew to Seattle. Total 4 rounds in person. Three coding rounds and one behavioral + previous work experience + projects + background. All coding rounds are whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions

• Questions on Tree and Array. A recursive and non-recursive solution for each.   1 Answer