Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,038 Interview Reviews

3.1

1,038 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Raleigh, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university a while ago, but it took an incredibly long time to get the final round interview which was very frustrating. Questions weren't hard, but finding the optimal solution was the bigger challenge. I also got asked a bit manipulation question that was difficult for me having never come across those problems before and having never use those functions before. The actual final round interview experience was enjoyable, but the lack of communication before that was very frustrating to deal with as I got notified of my final round with less time to prepare than I had ideally wanted.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I interviewed on campus, was asked one easy algorithm question and one object oriented question. And after waited for 2 months, I received an email from recruiter, told me I passed the interview but there was no more interview spots so they can't move me to the next round.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First we had a aptitude test. Shortlisted students went through a coding round. After this shortlisted candidates went for face to face interview rounds. Depending on performance people went through 3 - 4 rounds of interviews. After these there was again a quick coding round with the final shortlist (One person was rejected in this round).

Interview Questions

• The question was: Given a text written in some language where the alphabets are represented with 1 byte or 2 byte. But the one byte alphabets always have their MSB 1 and the 2 byte charecters always have their MSB 0. Now when at some point user presses a back space how many bytes are to be deleted to erase the alphabet?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (College Station, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was very casual, no stress and formal clothe not necessary. A few simple behavioral questions were asked before the technical ones. The interviewer was helpful and seemed like a friend who was trying to get you through the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Binary trees, linked list, pretty much topics related to data structures.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (State College, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus first round interview. I submitted my resume in career fair and got an email to register interview 2~3 weeks later. The interview was about 30 minutes. Asked general behavioral questions for 5~10 minutes and gave a coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• Asked question about resume, and asked to talk about something that I did not mention on resume.
      Binary Search Tree related question   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Berkeley, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Campus interview
    30 minutes, questions about resume -> one coding question -> ask question
    The interviewer was pretty nice and patient and gave hints and advice during the process
    Make sure to show your passion about Microsoft product
    After two weeks got invitation to the final round onsite interview
    Will have it next week, hope i can do well

Interview Questions

• give a linked list and remove a node of the given index   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was nice and conversational, he asked some basic behavioral questions followed by some light technical questions. I'd say the majority of the interview was behavioral. He asked me to describe some previous work, why I wanted to work for Microsoft, and what I wanted to work on there. If I could go and do it again I would have tried harder to carry the interview and sell myself.

Interview Questions

• In-place reversal of a linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

I got a call for an on-campus screening post career fair. The interview was scheduled a week before. On the day of the interview, I had a one on one with the engineer where I was asked a coding question and I was expected to write bug-free optimized code on paper with focus on complexity. I got a reject via mail within the next 5 days.

Interview Questions

• Merge 2 sorted linked lists such that the final linked list is sorted   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Orlando, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview, introduced projects on my resume, then go directly to coding problems.
    The first problem is best time to by and sell stock. After a few minutes, I talk about my solution. I was not required to writing the code and directly goes to the second problem. After i finished my code, the interview think there is an easy way to solve the problem. But in the middle of introducing his idea, he admits mine was right.

Interview Questions

• 1. Best time to buy and sell stocks. 2. find the biggest island in a 2D matrix.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Took part in an interview event which lasted about half of the day. Four rounds of approximately one hour interviews with short breaks in between. The questions were based on algorithms and Big-O notation for run-time and space complexity. Questions were either straight from or similar to questions in Cracking the Coding Interview. Make sure you understand the complexity of the code you are writing or at least be able to walk through the calculation of it. Practice solving problems from Cracking the Coding Interview and you should do fine.

Interview Questions

• graphs, queues, strings, heaps, and other common algorithms.   1 Answer