Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,021 Interview Reviews

3.1

1,021 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was nice and conversational, he asked some basic behavioral questions followed by some light technical questions. I'd say the majority of the interview was behavioral. He asked me to describe some previous work, why I wanted to work for Microsoft, and what I wanted to work on there. If I could go and do it again I would have tried harder to carry the interview and sell myself.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

I got a call for an on-campus screening post career fair. The interview was scheduled a week before. On the day of the interview, I had a one on one with the engineer where I was asked a coding question and I was expected to write bug-free optimized code on paper with focus on complexity. I got a reject via mail within the next 5 days.

Interview Questions

• Merge 2 sorted linked lists such that the final linked list is sorted   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Orlando, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview, introduced projects on my resume, then go directly to coding problems.
    The first problem is best time to by and sell stock. After a few minutes, I talk about my solution. I was not required to writing the code and directly goes to the second problem. After i finished my code, the interview think there is an easy way to solve the problem. But in the middle of introducing his idea, he admits mine was right.

Interview Questions

• 1. Best time to buy and sell stocks. 2. find the biggest island in a 2D matrix.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

It was easy given that the position was for entry-level undergrads. There were few design questions, some simple algorithms and few test cases. There were three technical interviews followed by a technical cum HR interview with hiring manager. All interviewers were really helpful. Each round lasted fifteen to twenty minutes and the round with hiring manager was for half hour.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Multiple phone screen - first with recruiter then with hiring manager. Finally after a few weeks called for onsite interview. The all day interviews are brutal and you have to be on top of your game all day. The last interviewer makes the hiring call

Interview Questions

• Usual string, array, linked list questions. Given two nodes in a tree, find the lowest common ancestor   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interview was set up Microsoft through on campus recruiting. Once they had my resume, they contacted me and set up a time. An engineer interviewed me then with the majority of the time allocated for the question. Then he offered some more time to ask any questions I could have.

Interview Questions

• You have two intersecting linked lists. Describe a function that returns a pointer to the node where they intersect.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a phone screen a couple of weeks ago, and then they called me for an on-site interview in Redmond, Washington. I was interviewing with an Azure team working in networking. My first three interviews were with team members, one was with their manager, and one was with a pretty senior level person in Azure. Overall it was a great experience, but really exhausting.

Interview Questions

• Traverse a binary tree using recursion (and later, iteration).   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a technical phone screen via Skype where I answered questions about my resume and did some coding via a shared Notepad. About a week later I received the invite to interview in Redmond, which was scheduled for another week later. Flew out to Redmond and did a series of 5 back-to-back interviews with a variety of technical and behavioral questions. Less than a week later I received my offer letter. The entire process was extremely professional and positive. Microsoft really goes out of their way to welcome you and make you feel comfortable during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• The types of questions they asked were in "Cracking the Coding Interview" (which is an outstanding study guide). No matter what technical questions they ask, be prepared to discuss the time and space complexity (Big O notation) for the algorithms you propose. Always test your code and try to find the bugs before they do. Discuss alternative implementations and the trade-offs involved.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewer were unprofessional. First guy came 20 mins late. In middle of second interview, they shifted interview in second room as the room was booked for other interview. In that room there were no board to write. I had to write on window. This guy does not even know what space complexity is; so called ten years of experience. All were indians. Second interviewer were on phone whole time. And asked me binary search which I can do even I am fully drunk. I have not expected this from Microsoft. Good luck to all those unprofessional ruining Microsoft name.

Interview Questions

• LRU Cache, Binary Search, Hash Map   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Well! I can only say my interview experience was pretty bad and unprofessional with those guys. After I cracked the phone screening, they invited me for the onsite interview. The interviewers were pretty rude, trying to find bugs on my code sooo hard, not helpful at all and eventually looks like they had to accept my solutions unwillingly. I think I did pretty good job but looks like that's not enough interestingly to get the job. I noticed they already determined who to hire because the job was already closed !!! before I start my interview. So then why wasting my time? really Microsoft why? If you guys would tell me the reason honestly, I would be like OK and understand that! I'm pretty sure I would reject their offer if I had that since I wouldn't like to work such *** guys...

Interview Questions

• Code to find the height of the binary tree.   1 Answer