Microsoft Software Development Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Development Intern

Microsoft Software Development Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Gave resume to recruiter at career fair and got an on-campus interview the next day. Two weeks later got an email asking to schedule an interview in Redmond. Interview day in Redmond consisted of four 1-hour interviews. Compared to other software companies that I have interviewed with, they asked more personality-related questions than usual although the bulk of the interview questions were still technical of course. The interviewers were all polite and asked difficult but not unreasonable questions and gave about 5 minutes at the end of each interview for asking questions about the company. About 1 hour after the last interview I got my offer and had a two week deadline to accept it.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that computes the number of connected components in a binary matrix, where cells with "1" are nodes and adjacent nodes (including diagonal) are considered connected.

Now modify the code so that two computers can be used for this computation in parallel (this was the very hard part).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Intern offers are non-negotiable. However, the pay for interns, plus the subsidized housing and rental car along with relocation are excellent.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did not make it past the first round of phone interviews

Interview Questions

• The questions were really logic based and out of the ordinary. They really just want to see how you think.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I got call from the career fair in the university. The initial criteria was just some technical questions to filter out students. Next round was on campus interview.

Interview Questions

• In starting they ask about your projects, your work experience and academics. Then they ask technical questions which is mostly about trees, strings , hashmap and other data structure.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me through linkedin and asked me if I have interest in intern opportunities at Microsoft. Then I followed the instruction and submitted all the required materials. Within one week, they scheduled me a one-hour interview in which there were some behaviors questions and then followed by some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you test a key board?
      2. Given nine items and one of them is heavier than the others, how do you find the heavier one using a scale just twice?   1 Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Gave resume to recruiter. Got contacted for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Find the sublist with the greatest sum in linear time   2 Answers

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online, was notified that Microsoft would be coming to my campus. Answered all questions correctly and had a good rapport with the interviewer. Did not get an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

Submitted an online application at the beginning of the year. Was contacted by a university recruiter about a week later. I informed the recruiter that I had an offer with another company that needed a response within a week and the recruiter was able to expedite the process. That same day, I had a phone interview with the recruiter and was later informed that Microsoft would like to fly me out to Seattle for a final round of interviews.

Flew out to Seattle later that week. Microsoft paid for everything including the flight, hotel, and all transportation. The next day I had the interviews. First I met with a recruiter who would be my main contact. The recruiter informed me about what the plan for the day was and tried to get a better idea of what my interests were. Afterwards, I was shuttled to my first of four interviews. These interviews were more technically focused. Often the interviewer would tell me about the company and then ask a few problem solving questions for me to solve. I was able to ask questions to them near the end. The interviews took about 45 minutes each, and they were all with people in the same department I would be interning in. One was over lunch.

Overall, the actual interviews weren't very stressful. The interviewers were easy to talk to and seemed very honest. It was easy to tell that they really liked working at Microsoft and tried their best to sell it. My day concluded with a return trip to the building where I met the recruiter and a wrap-up interview with my recruiter. Microsoft did give the option of staying an extra day to do some sight-seeing, but due to scheduling issues I was not able to do any.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

The interview was short, only 30 minutes long. 10 minutes about my background, and then 20 minutes for a programming question.

Interview Questions

• Find the shortest sub-sequence of letters in this array of letters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

My interviewer was absolutely terrible. Right off the bat it was obvious that you was very rude, cold, and unhelpful. We started off by talking briefly about what I was studying in school. Then we quickly launched into the technical question. It was actually an easy question but my interviewer and I had a bit of a 'language barrier'. I don't judge people based on how well they speak english ... but if they are interviewing predominantly English speaking computer science students for a position then they better speak English up to a certain proficiency to where there is little or no risk of their lack of proficiency getting in the way of a fair interview. Anyway, as a result of significant miscommunication I ended up answering the question correctly ... but unfortunately it turned out at the end that I did not answer exactly what he wanted to. It was a shame really, because it was a rather easy question and I could have answered what he wanted in my sleep! Just a terrible experience all around ...

Interview Questions

• I only received one question ... related to array traversal.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview

I applied through my university's on-campus recruiting system and got an interview with one of Microsoft's engineers. We went over my past projects and software-related work, and then I was asked a few technical questions (coding questions and brain teasers). The interview lasted for around half an hour to 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to reverse a linked list   1 Answer