Microsoft Software Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1 interview at Evanston university. total cattle call.

Interviewer was bored out of his wits.

Took the train all the way up from the city and stressed about it - he didn't even fake interest.

Complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

They pay for your travel/stay at Seattle WA, 5 rounds of interviews, very tough and long. The Microsoft staffer talked to me first on the phone, about my projects, goals, Microsoft, the Live Search team, and how interested I was. He then setup a phone screen with the development lead of the team I was interviewing for, which was to take place about a week later. This phone call was postponed because of a meeting at Microsoft, and I actually did it a few days later than planned.

Interview Questions

• Given a set of 21 tasks = {A, B,....Z} except I, O, U, X and Q. Each task requires 4 hours of processing. Except for tasks E, Y, P, R, W that require 8 hours of processing.

You have 3 machines to process these tasks = T1, T2, T3. T1 and T2 are available everyday for 8 hours. T3 is available only on Mon, Wed and Fri for 8 hours.

You are given 3 lists that indicate the dependency list among the tasks.
      L1 = A->R->K->M (eg A can be completed if R is completed, R can be completed only if K is completed etc.)
      L2 = N->G->V->E->Z->H
      L3 = C->F->Y->D->J->P->T->S->W->B->C (cycle)   Answer Question

too low salary

Software Developer Interview

Interview

telephone interview

Interview Questions

• how many lines of code do you write in your entire projects   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

I reached out to the interviewer assigned to my region September, during my penultimate semester at college. We have scheduled a phone interview for a month later. The phone interview was similar to described by others, testing your knowledge about Microsoft, asking you to describe their favourite product, also checking your motivation behind applying to MSFT. Avoid cliche answers like: "I want to work for MSFT because of stability". Make sure you study what they do, especially stuff unrelated to the technical field like their community service, donations etc.

Once that was done, I received an invitation to onsite interviews. This was the moment crap hit the fan because despite applying for Hardware ENgineering position and insisting I want to do hardware/system level software I was assigned to interview with the MS Office division for cloud services position where my experiences and programming languages were a little inapplicable. But I was not aware of that until the very last interview.

Anyway, they flew me to Redmond for the technical interviews. The technical questions were related to data structures and recursion: 4 interveiwers asked me to code a solution to a problem on a white board. If your solution is not the best (90% of the time it wont) they will ask you how would you improve it.

The last interviewer finally told me that the whole time I was interviewing for a wrong position. SO I spoke with the coordinator and they told me they will try to fix it. They directed me to the recruiter who assigned me to that particular division. That interviewer promised to call me to speak about it. I scheduled the phone call but nobody ever called me. Then I had enough.

Interview Questions

• Recursive fibonacci, make a lookup table to speed it up;
      Remove duplicated letters in a string
      Given a linked list where every node points to two different nodes, make a duplicate of it.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online. Got email that I will have technical interview over the phone. Was asked questions about resume and background.

Interview Questions

• "There are 9 jars. 8 jars contain marbles which each marble weights 1 gram, and 1 jar contains marbles weight 1.1 gram. With a scale display number, how can define which jar contain 1.1 gram marble with only 1 scale."   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied through campus services and got an on-campus interview I went in expecting a technical interview for a software developer internship, ended up discussing user experience because I listed it as an interest. Therefore I wasn't prepared. Interviewer was standoffish and kept fishing for words and terms that weren't really necessary.

Interview Questions

• What Microsoft products do you like or dislike?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview

First Round of Interview

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell us about yourself and your work experience.
      2. What was the longest and the most complicated code you have ever written.
      3. If there are 3 baskets, having contents: Apples, Oranges and Apples + Oranges. All the baskets are mislabelled and not transparent. How many minimum baskets do you need to open to know the contents of all.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

career fair in school, just been fooled

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Send my resume to a manager, got a one hour phone interview with him and he wanted to see me onsite. At that point he transmitted to a recruiter to schedule the trip.

Had 3 interview, lunch, and two more. Questions ranging from linked-list to graph. Overall questions were simple but you have to take great care about the coding on the whiteboard, I was not prepared to.

Interview Questions

• It was a compiler team, I had to design an alias analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2013.

Interview

I got a on campus interview. Failed in the 2nd round. Asked me some basic algorithm questions. Easy but need to figure out different solutions.

Interview Questions

• how to combine 2 sorted arrays together. Like 1357, 2468, the result should be 12345678   1 Answer