Microsoft Software Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Easy interview, contacted by recruiter and set up interview. Interview was relaxed, one on one with a guy. Asked me to write code, asked me about resume. I don't think the first round is supposed to be very hard but I messed up on one of the technical questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2011.

Interview

6 people interviewed me. Took about 8 hours. Talk to the main manager at the end. Not sure why I wasn't offered the job. How to test a random number generator.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call from their office in Redmond and the interview lasted 45 minutes. The interview included short answer technical questions to behavioural and problem solving questions. No coding questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

The first interview I had was with a college recruiter, which went well. It was more behavioral in nature. I was contacted back about a month later and told I had the opportunity for a second-round interview at their headquarters in Seattle. There were four interviews asking about coding questions. I feel the first interview was the most important and I hear this is how they gauge your skill level and will communicate this to your next interviewers.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Standard interview questions. Not too difficult. They also wanted to see how good fit you would be for the team. I met with various potential team members. They really like to see your experience and if your skills match up to the position. Interviewers were nice. It took about 2 weeks to get a job offer.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a campus career fair. The recruiter contacted me within two weeks to set up an on campus interview. The email containing the interview sign up also contained a list of books and websites to help prepare for the interview. The interview itself was a half hour long. The interviewer asked me to talk a little bit about my classes and projects, which I did for seven minutes. The rest of the time was spent in working out a technical problem. I first discussed my ideas with the interviewer, who then told me what he liked and did not like and then asked me to write down some code. I heard back from the recruiter a week later informing me that I had made it to the next round, which has not taken place yet.

Interview Questions

• The technical question was related to data structures and sorting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Attended on campus code competition, then submitted resume to the campus recruiter. Scheduled an on campus interview, 30 minutes. After one week got an on-site interview with 4 engineers. Received feedback within several days. In each interview been asked several normal behavior questions, and some coding questions, except the last one given a design question.

Interview Questions

• All but the last one were super straight-forward. The last one was about designing and finding problems in a mass-system.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not really negotiated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

They pay for your travel/stay at Seattle WA, 5 rounds of interviews, very tough and long. The Microsoft staffer talked to me first on the phone, about my projects, goals, Microsoft, the Live Search team, and how interested I was. He then setup a phone screen with the development lead of the team I was interviewing for, which was to take place about a week later. This phone call was postponed because of a meeting at Microsoft, and I actually did it a few days later than planned.

Interview Questions

• Given a set of 21 tasks = {A, B,....Z} except I, O, U, X and Q. Each task requires 4 hours of processing. Except for tasks E, Y, P, R, W that require 8 hours of processing.

You have 3 machines to process these tasks = T1, T2, T3. T1 and T2 are available everyday for 8 hours. T3 is available only on Mon, Wed and Fri for 8 hours.

You are given 3 lists that indicate the dependency list among the tasks.
      L1 = A->R->K->M (eg A can be completed if R is completed, R can be completed only if K is completed etc.)
      L2 = N->G->V->E->Z->H
      L3 = C->F->Y->D->J->P->T->S->W->B->C (cycle)   Answer Question

too low salary

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1 interview at Evanston university. total cattle call.

Interviewer was bored out of his wits.

Took the train all the way up from the city and stressed about it - he didn't even fake interest.

Complete waste of time.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Received an email and asked me to schedule a phone interview. Most of the questions are about my current project.