Microsoft Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

44 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer-II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied to Microsoft on their careers page. Got a call after 2 months from the date of applying. The interview process took 3 weeks time. I interviewed at Bellevue, WA in June 2017.

After a brief chat with the recruiter, she setup a technical phone interview. The question was trivial, but with a twist, making it interesting. The interviewer was helpful and guided me towards a solution. I managed to get a suitable solution which cracked the problem.

After clearing the telephonic round, I was called onsite. Microsoft is huge in Seattle and you may get awestruck by their infrastructure in the area(It was my first time in Seattle as well!). I was scheduled to meet 4 team members. From the interview panel, two people ask core technical whiteboard coding questions while the other two ask design questions.

My first interview was with a Senior Software Engineer. He asked me a coding question that is fairly popular on Leetcode/CTCI etc. I managed to reach the solution. The interviewer was impressed. My next interview was with a Senior Engineering Manager. He asked me a design/coding problem which I had seen for the first time. I managed to reach a respectable solution. Next was the interview with a Software Engineer 2 who was also my lunch buddy. He asked me a design question, I managed to design a Java solution for this. He was happy with it.

Lastly, I was called for the final round. This was the toughest interview of all. I came up with an iterative solution for the problem. It worked well, but then the interviewer asked to come up with a recursive solution with optimized time complexity. I managed to write the recursive solution after taking some time and scratching my head around the problem. But, it is worth mentioning, all the interviewers try to take you towards a solution, they help and guide you. They want the solution to be with good time and space complexities and also ask you to give some test cases for your solution.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can negotiate if you have a counter offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

It was an all day interview process where I interviewed with five different people that were on the team. The interviews were very intensive, asking me all kinds of questions regarding how I would handle various programming situations, relating to bosses who don't agree with me, my opinions on current events related to technology, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a clustered index and a nonclustered index? How do you optimize this given for loop?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted to set up an interview after speaking with a representative at a university career fair. The interview was only 30 minutes and was intended to be a first round before setting a more formal interview with an appropriate team. I was asked to talk about some items on my resume and explain my experience in networking and software engineering. Then I was given a coding question and asked to write pseudocode for a solution.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the second largest item in a binary search tree?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

3 Part interview - Phone Screen and two subsequent interviews with HR and department heads. Delving into your technology history and more so how you work well with others. Asked what your greatest strengths and weaknesses are and how you well can you adjust to multi-dynamic environment.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions relevant to the job and your previous experience/skill set.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter on linkedin. Within a month, got my phone screening scheduled. Phone screening was 45 mins with one person. Soon after that got my personal interview in Seattle. 4+1 rounds of interviews, 4 round with devs+managers, and a final one with the hiring manager (director). The process was smooth and well organized. The interviewers were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose due to NDA. 2 coding (whiteboard) + 2 systems design questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Interview

On campus interview. 30 minutes in total. First, some behavioral questions like what is your biggest innovation? tell a big challenge you have met and how you handled it. And a small coding problem. The interviewer is a manager in the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn for an Azure event. I completed an online technical screen, and two days later I was invited for in-person interview in Redmond, WA. Microsoft took care of all travel related expenses, as usual. This was the third time I was flying for onsite interviews at Microsoft - I had interviewed with them in March 2010 (Redmond) and June 2013 (Austin, TX).

Interview Questions

• The questions asked were: 1) Implement the C# String replace functions -> String.Replace(string find, string replace). 2) Given a BST and key find the node that is nearest but of lower value than key. 3) Given an array that contains 1 missing and 1 duplicate, find both. 4) More of a design question. It involved designing a random number generator function given some additional information. It involved a high level mathematical analysis and pros/cons of the using extra space vs extra time and so on.   3 Answers

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university resume drop and heard back about a week later that I got a on campus (at my university) interview. The interviewer asked me a couple questions about my resume, interests and then told me about his role at the company. Then he moved on to the technical question. I thought it went all right, but I did feel like he was slightly rushing me along which might be a result of the fact that it was 30 minute interview slots that my school keeps pretty hard deadlines on.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Pretty standard. phone screen, onsite interview with 6 interviews
    It took about 3 months to get my paper work ready.
    But in general it was clear and straight forward

I wish it was faster, I wanted to just move as fast as possible but I have to wait about 3 months. They are pretty flexible when it comes to deciding when is the start day.

Interview Questions

• coding coding and more coding pretty standard.
      Just go over cracking the code interviews book to get use to it.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

The process was very professional and informative. The recruiter I was in touch with kept me updated the entire way through and was very quick to respond to any and all of my questions. The interviewer was a member of the team I was applying for, so she was also able to answer and questions I had about the team dynamics.
    The actual interviews were quite difficult. The questions they asked ranged from low level memory manipulation to ensure efficiency, to remembering to pre process the data to ensure it was of the valid types.

Interview Questions

• How do you detect if a linked list has a loop, without using any extra memory   Answer Question
    • How do you merge two sorted lists of numbers without using any extra memory. the second list has enough memory allocated to fit both lists entirely.   Answer Question