Microsoft Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 30, 2018

3.1

54 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer II Interview

Interview

Most efficient and professional interview loop I have ever seen. Was flown in from across the coast on a direct flight and was provided accommodation in a 3* hotel over night. They paid for my cab, lodging and also paid for a day of sight seeing in seattle. All in all a great experience for the entire day.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to check if 2 rectangles are overlapping given their left and right edge coordinates   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as I was a fresh graduate student

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Someone at Microsoft referred me. They emailed me to set up a date and time for a phone interview. I thought it was going to be purely behavioral, turns it out was also going to be technical. My interviewer was Indian. Had a thick accent so it was hard to understand her sometimes. Had to ask her to repeat several times.

Interview Questions

• differences between linked and doubly linked list? remove duplicates from array?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Interview

I applied through my university. It was a 30 minute on campus interview with one personal question and 2 coding questions.

Interview Questions

• The initial interview is really easy - given an array of integers and a key, write a method that determines if the key is contained in the array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2009.

Interview

One of my friends working in Microsoft, forward my resume to one of the managers there.
    My resume got attention and a recruiter contacted me for a phone interview.
    The guy at the phone was really cool. After a short introduction, he started to ask me some questions about my research and industry experience.
    Why I want to join Microsoft. ?
    * Few questions about OOP and UML ?
    * He also asked me how to check whether a Binary tree is BST ? write code ?
    * Given a BST, and a key value, return a pointer in the tree with this key value if available ? if not, retrun a pointer to the node with a key value which is the next smallest (largest) to the given key ?
    * A Design problem for OOP using abstract classes, interfaces, and inheritance ? I can't remember the details.

Interview Questions

• How to implement mutual exclusion in Operating systems ? for 2 processes ? for n process ?   1 Answer
    • How to generate 2 independent random variables uing a single random generator ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

I have a stgrong backgroung of software develop ment and I have 3 years expierence of Build Engineer in windows Mobile devision as a vendor. I applied Build Engibneer job of Microsoft.The visual studio devision recuter contacted me by e-mail. I did a phone interview with him. And we had a good convesasion. He said he will introduce me to the heiring manager. But I didn't heard back from him.

Interview Questions

• No he didn't ask my any unexpected interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2010.

Interview

A HR person had emailed fixing up a date and time for the interview after reviewing my resume which I had submitted online. They never called me back and when I emailed him and asked the reason he simply stated that he had changed his job and was not able to forward my resume after that. Bad luck!!

Interview Questions

• Just fill out the form for the interview process and send it!!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2009.

Interview

I was asked for appear for an interview for the team I was working as a contractor. There was 6 interviews lined up for the whole day. These are session split interview (morning/afternoon) and if you dont have a majority thumbs up in the first session then you cant go through the next session.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to parse a string for all non white space characters   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2009.

Interview

The interview was nice and asked a lot things about my research then moved on to a coding problem. The question was doing division with only addition and subtraction. Then, he asked about ways to improve the efficiency.

Interview Questions

• What if the numbers are not integers ? What if the numbers are negative numbers ?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

Interview

Interviewers visited the campus and gave a technical question without personal questions. Even he didn't ask anything about my resume information. I'm not sure whether he would if I were able to solve the basic technical question well.

Interview Questions

• I didn't prepare at that time but it was like well know question which is: "You have an array of stock prices, which are ordered by time. What is the maximum profit from the given time period? You cannot sell first buy later."   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn for an Azure event. I completed an online technical screen, and two days later I was invited for in-person interview in Redmond, WA. Microsoft took care of all travel related expenses, as usual. This was the third time I was flying for onsite interviews at Microsoft - I had interviewed with them in March 2010 (Redmond) and June 2013 (Austin, TX).

Interview Questions

• The questions asked were: 1) Implement the C# String replace functions -> String.Replace(string find, string replace). 2) Given a BST and key find the node that is nearest but of lower value than key. 3) Given an array that contains 1 missing and 1 duplicate, find both. 4) More of a design question. It involved designing a random number generator function given some additional information. It involved a high level mathematical analysis and pros/cons of the using extra space vs extra time and so on.   3 Answers