Microsoft Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2018

3.1

50 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer-II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2018.

Interview

Connected with a recruiter on LinkedIn. Sent her the resume. Since Microsoft was hiring for multiple positions across different teams, the recruiter had sent out my resume to various teams, out of which about 4 teams got back with an interview request. I was asked to pick two. I finished one today. It was for Microsoft Bing Ads.
Skype Meeting (duration: 1 hour)

Interview Questions

• Can you describe your role in your current project?   Answer Question
  • Any questions for me?(Interviewer)   1 Answer
  • I have a black and white 2 dimensional image. Design a way to compress this image - lossless compression   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online , HR contacted me and explained about the team and requirement .
    first they asked for online test with 3 questions .
    Than they asked to come at MSFT HQ in Redmond .
    All arrangement was flawless and smooth .
    Than onsight , with 4 interview , 45 min each.

Interview Questions

• online test :
      1. Check if parentheses are balanced in an expression .
      2. Delete alternate node in link list.
      3. implement stack .

Onsight :

1. Find longest palindrome sub-string in a given string .

2. Find k-largest number from a huge amount of data which can not be fit in memory .

3. Find duplicate in a huge amount of data which can not fir in memory .

4. Generate permutation of a string .

5. Write program to print out path in NxN maze with obstacle inside it .   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

First, I participated in an hour-long Skype interview with a member of the team I was applying to. Then I visited Microsoft's Redmond campus for an on-site interview, which took most of the day and consisted of five interview sessions with different members of aforementioned team. Most sessions involved at least one coding question on a whiteboard; coding questions were mainly domain-specific, with a few concerning basic algorithms and data structures. In addition to coding, some of the questions posed by the interviewers were behavioral (for example, I was asked to describe how I would resolve a difference of opinion with a team member before a deadline). I was also given plenty of opportunities to ask questions of the employees.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that reverses an array.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

6 hour interview with 6 different people. Went extremely well besides 1 that did a deep dive on super old tech, but the rest of the interviewers told me he was going to be the wild card and would likely take his input with a grain of salt.

Interview Questions

• Implement the logic for the move sequence of a Tower of Hanoi game.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied to Microsoft on their careers page. Got a call after 2 months from the date of applying. The interview process took 3 weeks time. I interviewed at Bellevue, WA in June 2017.

After a brief chat with the recruiter, she setup a technical phone interview. The question was trivial, but with a twist, making it interesting. The interviewer was helpful and guided me towards a solution. I managed to get a suitable solution which cracked the problem.

After clearing the telephonic round, I was called onsite. Microsoft is huge in Seattle and you may get awestruck by their infrastructure in the area(It was my first time in Seattle as well!). I was scheduled to meet 4 team members. From the interview panel, two people ask core technical whiteboard coding questions while the other two ask design questions.

My first interview was with a Senior Software Engineer. He asked me a coding question that is fairly popular on Leetcode/CTCI etc. I managed to reach the solution. The interviewer was impressed. My next interview was with a Senior Engineering Manager. He asked me a design/coding problem which I had seen for the first time. I managed to reach a respectable solution. Next was the interview with a Software Engineer 2 who was also my lunch buddy. He asked me a design question, I managed to design a Java solution for this. He was happy with it.

Lastly, I was called for the final round. This was the toughest interview of all. I came up with an iterative solution for the problem. It worked well, but then the interviewer asked to come up with a recursive solution with optimized time complexity. I managed to write the recursive solution after taking some time and scratching my head around the problem. But, it is worth mentioning, all the interviewers try to take you towards a solution, they help and guide you. They want the solution to be with good time and space complexities and also ask you to give some test cases for your solution.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can negotiate if you have a counter offer.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

- Fairly straightforward process. One phone technical interview followed by an onsite comprising of 6 rounds of interviews. The interviews comprised mostly of typical coding questions and distributed systems design questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

It was an all day interview process where I interviewed with five different people that were on the team. The interviews were very intensive, asking me all kinds of questions regarding how I would handle various programming situations, relating to bosses who don't agree with me, my opinions on current events related to technology, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a clustered index and a nonclustered index? How do you optimize this given for loop?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted to set up an interview after speaking with a representative at a university career fair. The interview was only 30 minutes and was intended to be a first round before setting a more formal interview with an appropriate team. I was asked to talk about some items on my resume and explain my experience in networking and software engineering. Then I was given a coding question and asked to write pseudocode for a solution.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the second largest item in a binary search tree?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

3 Part interview - Phone Screen and two subsequent interviews with HR and department heads. Delving into your technology history and more so how you work well with others. Asked what your greatest strengths and weaknesses are and how you well can you adjust to multi-dynamic environment.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions relevant to the job and your previous experience/skill set.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter on linkedin. Within a month, got my phone screening scheduled. Phone screening was 45 mins with one person. Soon after that got my personal interview in Seattle. 4+1 rounds of interviews, 4 round with devs+managers, and a final one with the hiring manager (director). The process was smooth and well organized. The interviewers were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose due to NDA. 2 coding (whiteboard) + 2 systems design questions.   Answer Question