Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2019.

Interview

it is a first round phone interview, the interviewer is nice and asked several behavior questions and dive deep to my project. She asked me a very easy array question, but since it is my first time software engineer interview, I was very nervous and did not have good performance.

Interview Questions

• find the frequency of a target in an array   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2019.

Interview

I interviewed for full time as an intern. 2 interviews with principle engineers, straightforward expectations and friendly interviewers.
    I showed up to their offices, worked through one technical question with each. Each interview was an hour long. It is important that you are able to talk about your prior experiences as they both asked questions regarding experiences on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to solve a variant of the knapsack problem, it was an NP-complete problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2008.

Interview

I got an interview along with a bunch of other of my comp sci peers while Microsoft was at a University here in MD. The interviewer was very formal, but somewhat non personable. I was two questions, one of which I could not answer. I knew the interview was bust after that, so I asked him about R&D for fun.

Interview Questions

• How would you calculate a pixle on a monitor using a singular matrix in memory and change the color   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2008.

Interview

I applied through on campus Job Fair. Microsoft contacted me online asking for an on-site interview. The interview itself took about 30 minutes. Questions were more about to see your problem solving skills and analytic approach than technical skills. Interviewer was a project manager. At the end of the interview, it took three weeks to be notified that there won't be any offer. Interviewer was nice and polite. He knew the stuff.

Interview Questions

• How many unique paths are there from B-L point to the T-R point of a chess table? What would be your approach to calculate this?   6 Answers
    • Write a code for finding a certain element in an unsorted array assuming element definitely exists. How can we improve the efficiency?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2009.

Interview

They treat their interviewees very well. They will put in a nice hotel, give you a rental, and pay your expenses for you to spend an extra day and night in the area to get to know it and explore and have fun. The interview itself lasts a fair part of the day and involves talking to several engineers. The questions are pretty standard algorithms and problem solving questions. Almost all of them asked me to write code. Even lunch was an interview with the topic about facing difficulties/working in teams/interacting with others and so on.

I was very impressed with the work, offer, and suggested flexibility.

Interview Questions

• How to write an evaluator for a string like "(1+3 * ( 5 / 4)) and get a numeric result.   3 Answers

I had another I really liked on the East Coast. It was a tough tough choice.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

- Recruiter Interaction, included job fair and follow-up phone call.
    - Phone Screen: standard technical screen which went over resume projects and coding problem to solve.
    - 4 rounds of onsite: Each round included white board problems. Was asked in total 6 problems to solve between each round. Each round had some behavioral questions asked, typical questions.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral: What situations have you experienced where someone did not agree with your solution, how did you get through that?

For coding review, know your algorithms and data structures.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Round 1: system design. First the interviewer asked me about my current company’s projects, like how to handle too many requests and multiple writing requests in the same object, etc. Then he asked me to design a mechanism to crawl two (follow up: a lot of) websites.
    Round 2: coding. Implement a function to add files to a file management system.
    Round 3: lunch & interview, coding. First question: serialize & deserialize a binary tree. Second question: Write a function to find spam email (emails sent from wrong names like “Micr0s0ft” or “amezon”)

Interview Questions

• system design. First the interviewer asked me about my current company’s projects, like how to handle too many requests and multiple writing requests in the same object, etc. Then he asked me to design a mechanism to crawl two (follow up: a lot of) websites.   1 Answer
    • Implement a function to add files to a file management system.   1 Answer
    • serialize & deserialize a binary tree   1 Answer
    • Write a function to find spam email (emails sent from wrong names like “Micr0s0ft” or “amezon”)   1 Answer
    • Implement a calculator with +, * (, and ).   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2019.

Interview

I was invited for networking event with online questionnaire. Online questionnaire had leetcode's easy to medium difficulty level questions. I cracked it and I was invited for onsite. Onsite had 4 tech rounds. 2 tech rounds were by Hiring managers and 2 tech rounds were by Tech lead and Software engineer I believe.

Interview Questions

• Binary tree question. Solution involved doing inorder traversal. Not exactly remembering question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was smooth. Reasonable questions. Interviewers were nice and polite. They are willing to get to know you. Questions were reasonable. The HR provided sent back responses very quickly. Overall it was a great interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• Mostly coding questions. Leetcode easy/medium level   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

After applying online, contacted by recruiter for phone screen, followed by online coding test.
    This was for the job fair in july month. Recruiter didnt give me feedback for the online coding

Interview Questions

• 3 questions 1) C++ debugging question 2) binary search with minor modification 3) algo for generating 16 bit zip based on intersection of street and avenue   Answer Question