Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Was invited for a coding test for a Bing hiring event. Passed that and was invited to fly to Seattle for an onsite.
I cannot even begin to explain the pathetic nature of the interviews. 16 candidates are brought in from all over and given rooms, and the interviewers go around interviewing each one of them.
I had a horrible experience with the first interviewer. He was laughing in a mocking way when I was on the wrong track for a particular question. He cut me off in the middle when I was giving the answers and when I was on the wrong track for a question and when said oh I could have done it that way, he said not you could have .. u should have... you can't work in Microsoft if you can't come up with solutions. And when his phone rang loudly in the middle of the interview, he didn't even bother to apologize and let it ring for sometime. He also wished me and said "I hope your other interviews go better than this one" ;)
The 4th interviewer seemed super dis-interested too. He kept chatting with someone while I was whiteboarding.
The entire experience was really off for me, I cannot imagine Microsoft allows such unprofessional interviewers to interview candidates who have flown many miles to come attend their interviews.

Will definitely never interview with Microsoft ever again.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on site interview followed by a phone interview. I was also invited for a follow up interview on site but the position was filled. Overall, the interview process was not stressful

Interview Questions

• You have 7 Identical marbles but one is slightly heavier than the others. You also have a balance scale. Identify which marble is heavier only using the scale twice   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with an HR person reaching out and doing a phone screening. They asked mostly personality questions but ended the interview with a puzzle.
    The onsite interview lasted from 9 am to 4 pm on the Redmond campus. During that time I had meetings with 5 different people and was ask 7 different white boarding questions. My advice to anyone preparing for the interview would be to buy a coding interview prep book, for example 'Cracking the Coding Interview', and memorizing all the answers.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 2-d array representing islands (with 1's) and ocean (with 0's). How do you count the number of islands. Note two adjacent 1's make a single island   Answer Question
    • Implement find and replace.   Answer Question
    • Print out a 2-d matrix in a spiral. This is similar to a more common problem, rotate a matrix 90 degrees.   Answer Question
    • Find the median of an unsorted list of integers in O(n) time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and asked some basic questions ("Why do you want to work on this team," etc.), followed with a technical phone screening; I was told they wanted to fly me out to Seattle the same day. Had a full day of on-site interviews - meeting with the recruiter, manager of the team, 3 technical interviews, and a lunch interview (total of 6). Overall all of the interviewers were very friendly and knew how to jog a person's memory without giving them an answer.

Interview Questions

• Cannot be disclosed due to an NDA.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Start off with basic HR screening. Then online test with 5 simple to borderline medium coding questions in 1 hour. Once you clear that you get called for an on site round. Onsite had 4 (3 coding + 1 design and coding) interviews 45 minutes each with a 10-15 minute break between each interview.

Most of the interviewers were very nice. The recruiters are very nice and really want you to succeed.
    Heard back next day about the offer.

Interview Questions

• Coding, basic data structures and thought process.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at a Career Fair.
    Did an interview, which was very smooth. Asked behavioral questions and 1 coding question on a sheet of paper. I was told that I had a chance to ask the interviewer questions but I did not know that. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

They ask some question about behavior and then 15 minutes for technical question, you can solve it but if it is not the best way, you will not get offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about the project you love the most.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had an initial screening by the hiring manager. Then a series of 4 interviews back to back with both devs and a PM. Process took about a month. Mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions

• string replace all symbols with spaces   1 Answer
    • design a function for determining hits in battleship   1 Answer
    • given a collection of songs with names and times, determine the longest mixtape you can make that fits into a cd that can hols 20 mins of content.   1 Answer
    • explain how a web request works in as much detail as possible.   1 Answer
    • explain forms of testing you would do before releasing software   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Microsoft as a Ph.D. graduate.
    Initial on campus screening. After that I am invited to onsite.
    Onsite Interview:
    It was a nice experience. I interviewed with managers and with a director. I got 3 technical questions and one Ph.D. research discussion (after lunch with lunch interviewer) and one resume/background/personality interview. It was unique to meet people with 10 to over 30 years of experience. Interviewing with experienced/expert engineers is a plus I guess. They know what to ask and what to look for in answers. The questions were easy but vague sometimes. Asking questions and verifying your understanding seemed to me a big plus. Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I had.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was emailed by the recruiter saying that I was selected to participated in an on campus interview. I went, and had a 45-minute interview that was fairly straightforward. Some talk about why I wanted to work at Microsoft followed by a technical question. When that was finished, we just spent the last few minutes talking some more - behavioral questions mostly. A few weeks later, I got an email saying that I would be having a final-round interview, which hasn't happened yet.

Interview Questions

• How can draw a point on a 2D screen that is represented by a 1-D array?
      Given any two points on the screen, write a function that draws the line between them.
      1 Answer