Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2018

471 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

first you have a telephone screen with a recruiter. Then you have a phone screen with Hiring manager or some dev. After that, you will be brought onsite and interviewed by a group of engineers.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Sent in resume during career fair. Soon got a email to set up on campus interview within a few days. Asked a few questions about previous projects and a few technical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

To be hired Microsoft has two stages.

Initially you will be provided with a phone interview (30 mins) or On-Campus interview. You may be asked a technical question. Be prepared to answer questions related to your background/projects.

I passed this stage and in about a week I was notified that I will be moving on to their on-site interview in Redmond. I was given about a months time between the phone interview and my on-site.

Depending on your process, you will either be going to Microsoft Building 111's recruitment event where you are cycled through 4 interviewers between you and 10 - 20 other candidates, or meeting with a recruiter and then going to another building to interview where you will have 3 - 5 interviews, including a lunch interview.

This time I was selected to interview with 3 - 5 people in the Office team. You are not given your team beforehand. The team you are interviewing with may also not be the team you end up working with.

The problems are algorithmic in nature and you are expected to test and clarify requirements. Each interview is about an hour long and between each interview you will be taking a break while the interviews discuss among each other about how you did.

From what I have understood each interviewer has a hire/no hire decision. If you receive 2 no hires out of your first 3 interviews, your day may be cut short. When you reach the 5th interview, (s)he is the hiring manager and ultimately has veto power.

For me it was a rather discouraging experience. I made it to the 5th interview. I felt I performed very well, giving them optimal solutions, and struggling with only 1 and a half of the 6 problems I was asked, but ended up solving them optimally in the end. However, I received the discouraging call later that week that I would not be hired. It didn't make sense to me and I tried to reflect on how I could have done poorly being very familiar with technical interviews at this stage. I felt that what I had to nitpick with myself what I performed weakly on. The most discouraging part is how they will not tell you anything aside from apply back next year. At this stage I'm not even sure how to improve since I do not think I am technically lacking and I did not believe I came off rude or obnoxious during the interview. Just my luck.

Interview Questions

• Swap a doubly linked list in pairs. (This was the problem that I struggled with most and happened to be the first of the two during the last interview - I over thinked it because I had visited a problem the evening before of swapping singly linked list in pairs and had ruined my thought process)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online from their site and heard back to set up interview within the week. Interview was mostly about background like most challenging problems faced or projects that I have worked on. Asked how you would test simple objects to make sure that they worked.

Interview Questions

• The 3 buckets question where they hold 3, 5, and 8 gallons.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Emailed about on-campus interview following the career fair at my school. Interview was 30 minutes long, but mine started a little late. Asked about my previous internship experience, and then focused on the technical question for the majority of the interview. Finished up by allowing me to ask a few questions about his position at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• Implement a bounded bifocii data structure using an array and efficient enqueue and dequeue algorithms   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied in school Career Fair; scheduled the interview one week later; the first round is on campus interview. only 30 min. It began with several questions on my previous projects. Then I was given a very traditional question on string manipulation. I can only use C++ to answer. I didn't do well as I was feeling bad that day. I think I was and still am on the waiting list.

Interview Questions

• Tradition String Manipulation Question. But you need to use C++.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview

One phone interview from recruiter, then onsite interview and there was four interviews onsite, most of the questions were programming related,one question on past projects. All interviewers were nice but after performing good, i felt i am getting the job, but at they said that they are sorry!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First was the phone call with HR. Getting to know me and other logical questions.

Interview Questions

• Simple logic questions, very interesting. Only made it to the first interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

There is phone interview first. It helps people in each side to know other better. Candidate also gets chance to ask about details about the work.

Then there is onsite interview with 3-4 rounds. Candidates are asked about algorithm, coding, design questions. Algorithms are not so hard, but need some thinking to come out good solution. Candidates are asked about understanding about programming language and database.

If everything goes good, candidates will see the hire manage at last. Then wait for 1 - 2 weeks for the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

I first applied for the position while a recruiter was at my college for a job fair event. After that, I was contacted about a month or so later and scheduled a phone interview (or rather an online phone interview). The phone interview was all business, no personal questions. The interviewer asked me to start writing something that seemed somewhat simple, in whichever language I preferred. After a sufficient amount of time coding and asking questions (roughly 45 minutes) he had me stop and asked a couple of questions on my thought process in coding the answer. I was contacted a few days later and asked if I could fly out for an interview. I accepted and went to their headquarters in Washington.

The day starts relatively early, around 9:30AM and goes "until you're finished". The basic process is they hand you the location of your first interview, either walk you there or get you a ride there, and continue handing you off between Microsoft employees that you will potentially be working with. Usually each person asks you a couple of personal questions and at least one coding question. Some people may seem like they're ignoring you or acting strangely around you, but I believe that's all part of the interview process. Asking questions is a vital part of the process, as they want someone who is willing to understand something from top to bottom before they attempt to write code for it.

As some other reviews have said, towards the end of the day you may or may not meet with your fifth interviewer in the event that they may "be busy". Whether or not this is truly an indicator of your progress, I'm unsure. All I can say is I interviewed with four out of five people and did not receive the offer. Fortunately, I heard back the very next day, so there wasn't too much anticipation.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were difficult. Expect a lot of questions that really challenge your grasp on more advanced CS fundamentals.   Answer Question