Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 3, 2017

341 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

During the phone interview, first of all, the interviewer did some self-introduction and then asked me why I choose Microsoft, what do you know about Microsoft.Then I was asked some questions about my projects and some algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most valuable quality that you have to bring to our company?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an internship before. Converted to full time offer.
    Got the internship by applying through a college recruiter. 1. Phone call interview. 2. On college pen and paper interview. 3. Got flown to Seattle for on-site. 4. Got an offer within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• The door toggling question. There are 100 lockers, a man runs from left to right toggling the door from open to locked, skipping every other door. Does that again and again, toggling the multiples of ith door. In the end, how many doors are open. Derive a formula.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

5 interviews throughout the day, all whiteboard style, not specifically themed or ordered- didn't get any question 100% right but got very close on all of them. started in morning, break for lunch with one of my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• algorithm for finding the largest rectangle area in the bar graph   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I met an campus rep, turned in my resume and had an on campus interview. The on campus interviewer was beyond nice and helpful! I then went to the on-site interview in Seattle. The on-site consisted of four interviews each with 10-5 minutes in between each other (this ran from about 8:30am - 12:30pm)

Interview Questions

• Shuffle a deck of cards (given as an array) ensure a random shuffle each time   2 Answers
    • Determine if one word is an anagram if another   Answer Question
    • Implement to insert (put) function for a hashmap   Answer Question
    • Implement a way to search for a key/value pair in a file in O(logn). (The file is populated based off of a bst)   Answer Question
    • Given a number from mark which numbers you’ve “seen” and if you’re given the number -1, return all seen numbers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied through university. Had talk to microsoft people on career fair. Got 30 minutes campus interview in 2 weeks. Had a question on how to flip a specific bit in a 2D bitmap. Got invitation to redmond,WA. Had 4 interviews 2 design questions and 2 programming questions. Got asked about myself and my resume. Also was given several scenarios of teamwork, version control and dealing with issues.

Interview Questions

• Given an regular expression (A+B*C)/(D-E) write a code to translate it in ABC*+DE-/ where operands come first and operation comes second. A+B => AB+ | A+B*C => A BC* + .   1 Answer
    • Design a charity auction webpage where some people give in items and others bid on items to buy them. The money made by selling the items goes to charity. Design a specific page with item and bidding system.   Answer Question
    • Design an ATM machine.   Answer Question
    • Was given 4 programming question had to choose one. I chose check if the string is palindrome or not.   2 Answers
    • Given a bitmap for screen and 2d coordinate to find the specified bit by coordinates and flip it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Gave my resume to an employee at a coding event at my school. Following a relaxed behavior/OOP on-campus interview, I was invited to their Redmond, WA campus. They pay for everything, give you a big meal stipend, and shack you up in a nice hotel so it was a pleasant experience. 4 interviews in a row, more or less; really only 1.5 were technical but I know SWE's that had more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

1 remote phone round with odd questions (brain teasers, favorite Microsoft product etc.), with someone who did not seem technical and seemed to be transcribing what I was saying for someone technical to review. Onsite consists of 5-6 interviews in a row. Microsoft says that new grad positions are general, and that the team you interview with is irrelevant; this is not true-I interviewed with a cloud team, and ended up being asked purely distributed systems/networking type questions for over half my interviews. I was prepared for these from my previous experience, however, this is not the case with every new grad candidate. Everyone in HR was fast/friendly, and I enjoyed talking to all the engineers as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

i first had a phone interview and then an onsite interview in Seattle(WA). phone interview was very simple, basic tech questions, onsite was more challenging and the interviewers wanted quick answers and didn't allow for much time to think about the response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Sent my resume to my university recruiter. Interviewed at my university. It was a 30 min interview consisting of one coding question. Heard back 1 week later, interviewed at Redmond, WA two weeks later.

On-sit interview consists of four 45-50min interviews, starts at 8am until noon.

Interview Questions

• Transfer a binary tree to a file, and be able to build the tree back from that file.   Answer Question

Software Engineer() Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview. There were some basic behavioral questions and then resume review, then coding questions: permutations and linked list question. Interviewer was not the friendliest or in the best mood.