Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2008.

Interview

I interviewed as a senior in college. The interviewing process consisted of two phases for me: (1) a single on-campus interview when Microsoft visited my college campus, and (2) a day-long on-site interview at Microsoft's campus in Redmond.

The on-campus interview was with an engineer and consisted of some simple technical questions. We also talked a bit about some programming projects I had worked on at school. I believe they were looking for basic technical chops and enthusiasm for engineering.

The on-site interview consisted of one interview with an HR person and 4 interviews with engineers (two from one product/team, and two from a completely different product/team). The interview with the HR person was non-technical and focused on why I was interested in becoming an engineer. The interviews with engineers were all technical in nature. They mostly consisted of programming and algorithms questions of moderate difficulty --- the usual affair. I also had lunch at some point with one of the engineers I ended up interviewing with.

One of the technical interviews was fairly nonstandard. I was asked to come up with a design (hardware/software) for a robotic telescope. The question was very open-ended, though the interviewer of course gave some guidance. I believe the purpose of the question was to gauge the ability of the candidate to design a (real-world) system.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to design a robotic telescope. Talk about hardware (robotics/sensors); talk about software (linear algebra/control).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Berkeley, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

It took me just one on-campus interview. I contacted them through a career fair. It was one software engineer from a network engineering team interviewing me for about 45 minutes. The first 10 minutes, he spent asking me questions on my previous work experience and projects. Then the next 10 minutes, he asked me an open-ended question on how to design a coke vending machine. During the last 10 to 15 minutes, he asked me technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a C++ code to reverse the order of words in a string, without using any additional buffer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I contacted a recruiter on LinkedIn and an interview was set up. It was for a specific team at Microsoft.

Had one phone interview wherein the interviewer asked me 4 coding questions in the span of one hour. I don't remember all the questions but they were all in the domain of binary tree traversals. It went great. I could solve every question posed to me.

I was surprised that they did not select me for further rounds despite the interview going well.

Interview Questions

• Binary tree traversal questions. Most of them from Leetcode.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by a Microsoft recruiter via LinkedIn who was hiring for Core Cleared positions (requires a Top Secret/SCI clearance) based in Seattle, WA and Herndon, VA. I did an initial phone screen with the recruiter who messaged me asking me generic background questions and telling me more about Microsoft's role in government cloud architecture. They give you a phone screen with a DS/Algo question in which I passed and was invited to go on-site in Seattle. The process of scheduling the on-site interview was fairly slow and tedious which was the most frustrating part. My on-site interview was scheduled for nearly 4 weeks after my phone screening. The on-site interview was 5 technical interviews (all DS/Algo, no System Design) plus lunch (which is still considered an interview, so do not let your guard down). This was also my first time interviewing on-site for a Big 4 company so I was extremely nervous and wasn't able to perform to the best of my ability on some of the questions I was given. Despite this, the interviewers were all very nice and tried their best to help me through some parts where I got stuck. Overall, it was a great learning experience interviewing for Microsoft and I enjoyed talking with everyone who was involved in the process.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen: easy DS question
      On-site: 5 Technical Interviews on typical DS/Algo questions that you can find most on Leetcode with some variations to the problem   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

I'll start by saying the process was terrible without any personal contact point. all of the processes were automated and in the end, it resulted in me being in Seattle without anyone to get in touch with. The interview was for a new graduate after MS degree, it was composed of a face to face with a college recruiter and after that an onsite interview in Seattle.
    The onsite went very well and after about a month I got an email for getting to the next stage and coming to an onsite. Everything was scheduled and 3 days of my time was dedicated to this task (excluding the preparation and traveling 6 hours each way from NY to Seattle). No one has contacted me while in Seattle or after coming back home. After multiple emails and phone calls on my end, I've got an email saying there was an error and we should reschedule. No one has contacted me afterward even after replying to those emails. I had interviews with all of the major tech companies including Google, Amazon, Apple, and Facebook, been to many onsite interviews but I have never experienced this weird treatment. I believe it was a communication problem but to me, it felt like a big waste of my time and I wouldn't wish anyone to pass the experience I had. Do yourself a favor and find a company who cares, luckily I got to a much better company who values me and my time.

Interview Questions

• There was a recursion question asking to find the way out of a given 2X2 array maze. you're given with the start and end point.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

For the Garage Program, there was one phone interview and a day of final round interviews on their campus. The phone interview was less technical, and more about a passion for technology and Microsoft products. They then flew you out for a day of interviews, with multiple engineers, with questions based on technical whiteboard problems, personality, and resume experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2018.

Interview

Had 4 technical interview questions, where a problem was discussed and solved on the whiteboard. Everyone was very friendly. Last 10 minutes were for questions and going over your cv. Did not receive feedback after interview.

Interview Questions

• Insert a node into a linked list
      Convert a string number to any given base.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2019.

Interview

Interview was pretty easy. The tech question takes 3 lines in python.
    The Interviewers were inexperienced and the recruiter took 3 months to respond.
    Would have rejected the offer the either way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2018.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter on campus, first round was over the phone. It was problem solving questions. Then you are flown out to seattle for an on site which is quite difficult.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to LRU cache, tree traversal and DP   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online, and within few days got an invitation for initial phone interview. The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes, and was sort of technical, and resume based. Was told, if I gets selected, would receive an invitation for in person interview at Redmond, Washington. Still waiting to hear back though.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your best programming project, and what did you like about it?   Answer Question