Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online, and within few days got an invitation for initial phone interview. The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes, and was sort of technical, and resume based. Was told, if I gets selected, would receive an invitation for in person interview at Redmond, Washington. Still waiting to hear back though.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your best programming project, and what did you like about it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2019.

Interview

Manager reached out to me via email from LinkedIn. Gave me a choice between on-site screen and phone screen. Went on-site, guy was super friendly. Asked unusual behavioural questions but was a refreshing change. Asked a very easy coding question then a very difficult one. The guy didn't know C++ and had never seen his question solved the way I did it so couldn't really determine if my solution was correct or not. Moved onto on-site loop a few weeks later. Only had 3 interviews planned, but a 4th was added part way through the day with the hiring manager (as app). The questions were all reasonably simple with difficult constraints added before coding. LeetCode medium/hard level for sure. The recruiter reached out with an offer the next day. I was able to negotiate well because I had a competing offer.

Interview Questions

• NDA but LeetCode is a very accurate prep platform for Microsoft.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First round was an on campus technical interview. This was followed by an on site interview in Seattle consisting of 4/5 interview rounds. The interviews were technical and included concepts on computer engineering/database/security.

Interview Questions

• Sorting of a binary search tree, grid game   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied on their website and received a coding challenge with 3 questions that is to be completed in 1 hour. There was no environment and language specified. Received an invitation to interview on site 3 days later. There were 4 technical + behavioral interviews and 1 final behavioral. Interviewers provides feedbacks on your algorithms and are looking for ready-to-ship solutions (remember edge cases --> this is very important, and downsides!). Ask for expected input and outputs to be sure. Heard back 2 weeks after onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that copies buffers content from a linked list to another one where both lists total buffer size is variable.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of integers l and an int k, find all continuous sequences in l that sum to k.   1 Answer
    • Design a pub/sub system. Multithread it.   Answer Question
    • Reverse all words in a sentence and keep punctuation (liberty in deciding this) in place. "I am Ironman." becomes "I ma namnorI."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

I have attended telephonic technical interview. It took around 60 mins overall. Intially, started with my previous projects and my background work and asked few relevant questions. About 30 mins the discussion went well. After that he asked me about deep copy and shallow copy. And coded with some examples. The experience was good but the process seems to be little tough to get into and I am waiting for the confirmation for next levels.

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between deep copy and shallow copy and implement sample coding on this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2019.

Interview

It’s for an event Interview. First step was online tech screening. It ranges from easy to medium difficulty problems. You might be asked to write an algorithm or find bugs and provide fixes or write possible test cases. I had three such problems. One Straight forward coding problem. One to find bugs and provide fixes. One data structure implementation(medium difficulty).
    Then onsite interview with 4 rounds. Pretty straight forward white board coding questions. First round scenario based problems. Second round implementing a data structure. Third round scenario based problem. Fourth is hard difficulty problem. Leetcode is the best source for MSFT interviews. I would say expect Atleast two rounds out of leetcode but one should be able to solve it if practiced enough. I got three problems outside of leetcode. Got call from the recruiting manager the next business day and discussed the offer. Super quick turn around from them!!

Negotiation

I got quite good offer so did not negotiate much!!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I submitted my resume at an university technical fair. I got an interview a couple weeks later. The interview was at the career center and it lasted about 45 mins to an hour. Interview was one-on-one. The interview, in general, was pretty relaxed and the interviewer was friendly. Interviewer initially went through my resume and asked specific questions based off it. Afterwards, interviewer asked the more technical questions and asked if I had any questions in general.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any difficult questions. However, there were some on various algorithms that were tricky.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Test, phone interview, on-site interview (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bloomington, IN) in September 2012.

Interview

There was a career fair at my university ( Indiana University). I just dropped my resume and after a few weeks received an email saying that they would like to interview me.

I was asked general questions in the interview like which Microsoft Technology would I like to work on and why ?

It was a short 20 minute interview, covering mostly general question and 1 programming question

Interview Questions

• Write a program to implement the Integer.parseInt() function.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Initial communication occurs through email. All communication until the trip to Seattle occurs through email. My interview coordinator was very pleasant, helpful, and quick to respond back. Microsoft will take care of the entire process for you (and even get you a rental car if you choose). Once in Seattle, you'll have to visit a designated area (mine was Building 111) at a certain time (mine was 8:30AM). Microsoft will keep you in Seattle for up to 2 nights.

Day of interview process is pretty well organized. You'll meet with an interview coordinator (different than the email interview coordinator) and he/she will explain the entire day to you and which team you are interviewing for. I found this person (I may have lucked out) to be very pleasant to work with. Afterwards, he/she will put you in a shuttle to go to your first interview. Microsoft told me I'd be interviewing from 8:30AM - 5:00PM, but I was instructed that I'd be done at 3:00PM. Microsoft will handle all travel to the different interview areas. This depends on your team. I was in one building the whole time.

After each interview is completed, you'll be told who you'll interview with next, where, or sometimes they'll just go get him/her for you. I interviewed with 4 people that day on one team. Each interviewer generally started off talking about himself and then began with the questions (except the last one). My last interview was pretty awful. He showed up late, unprepared, hit me with random questions until he was prepared, and then threw a technical question at me. It flustered me a little.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult per se. There was 2 object oriented design questions, 2 array-related questions, and 1 binary tree question. I tripped up on the binary tree question (it was with the last interviewer that flustered me up). It's an easy solution. I got it down conceptually, I just had two more lines of code to put in there.

The question was -- Find the common ancestor of two given nodes.   1 Answer