Microsoft Software Test Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

3.5

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

first was telephonic interview, which was only for screening and not much of technical questions. next three rounds where one on one interview. Lots of questions related to testing and previous work experience. They checked for communication, testing background, attitude and work ethics.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Jose, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

LinkedIn reach out by recruiter, Phone interview with technical, and quite difficult.
    The person on the phone called twice, the 2nd time was for almost an hour.
    I did not clear this process.

Interview Questions

• Given a diet coke can, how can you tell by looking at it that it's defective ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Champaign, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

First got a phone interview. The interviewer asked a lot about personal experience and prjects etc. And then dived in the questions. There are three questions. One is about sorting a stack using only another stack. Can be resolved using insertion sort. Another is about circular linked list, which I found particularly difficult to answer on the phone. The last is about memory limit concern in large system design. Probably I listed OS dev in my resume. A conceptual question. Answered pretty nicely I think.

Interview Questions

• Cirlular linked list. Really tricky and you don't get to learn about it in school. Have to think outside the box. Usually using two runners is a way to break in for this kind of problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by technical interview. Phone screen talked about resume, previous job experience, followed by another phone screen. This was in front of a system, coding question, related to Arrays. Called for in person, 4 coding questions followed by test cases to test and break them. All related to data structures, some related to using collections, generics. Few design questions related to events and delegates implementation.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Day of technical interviews with 3 - 5 people that covered coding question, OS architecture, design, and how would you test X?

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submit both phone (or skype) and alternative number. Sign up for the date&time slot. They will add you on skype about 20 mins before the interview. The phone interview porcess last about 30~40 minutes.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question would be come up with a way to sorting coins. It's a tricky question but not really related to coding. And the question is to sort 10 coins (in order) with only 3 weighted comparisons.

Other than that, there are only behavior questions that ask you about past experiences, coding projects, and a case question for this phone interview.   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Interview

Firstly,there was a written test consisting of logical and verbal ability questions as well as programming based questions.A selected number of students were shorlisted for the GD round.Based on the performance in the GD round,students were shortlisted for the technical interview followed by HR round for techical round based shortlisted students.The employees of the company basically had to solve technical problems faced by the customers,which included NASA too and will mostly need to work late in the night as there would be customers from across the globe.

Interview Questions

• How can you explain the concept of object oriented programming to a comman man?   Answer Question
    • What are the different OS es that you have worked with and what are the differences between them(not from a user perspective)?   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2008.

Interview

Interviewed with 5 people. The last person said "nice try".

Interview Questions

• how would you code the Fibonacci numbers in javascript   Answer Question
    • If i were testing a website, how would I go about doing so?   Answer Question