Microsoft Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

3.2

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I secured a technical phone screen for the position through a recruiting agency and was told it would take a maximum of 30 minutes. It ended up being a 15 minute conversation in which I was asked questions about the languages / technologies involved with the role. At the end of the call I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with NodeJS and C#.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter via LinkedIn about the job. I applied online and did a Phone interview first. Then I was called in for an on-campus interview at the Texas campus.

Interview Questions

• If you were to explain the internet to my grand-mother, how would you describe it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

1. Submitted my resume online under customer facing technology division. About a month later heard back from a recruiter that I was selected for an initial phone interview.
    2. Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. Standard behavioral interview questions were asked: Why Microsoft, How would you teach your grandma how to use a computer, How do you know when to stop, Show me your passion for technology, etc.
    3. About 2 months after I was notified I was selected for an onsite interview at Las Colinas, TX. There were about 50 of us in the afternoon session ( another 50 in the morning session). The flight, hotel and all travel expenses were covered by Microsoft. I was individually interviewed by 4 Microsofties, from SEEs to managers. Most of the questions were behavioral, such as tell me about this project you've completed, tell me about yourself, why Microsoft, etc. I had to do several role-plays, such as handling a frustrated customer who doesn't want to talk to me or an angry customer who demands reimbursement, etc. I was asked to explain a segment of code in C++ ( because I listed it on my resume) and explain which hardware component in a computer is most brittle. Some other interviewees also were asked questions like guess a number from 1-20, what would you do if tomorrow is the end of the world, etc, but I weren't asked such questions. Make sure you ask the interviewers questions too!
    4. Got a phone call the day after the interview and I was told that I was extended an offer. I am so happy and excited to join the team soon!!!

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft, How would you teach your grandma how to use a computer, How do you know when to stop, Show me your passion for technology, tell me about this project you've completed, tell me about yourself, explain which hardware component in a computer is most brittle, guess a number from 1-20, what would you do if tomorrow is the end of the world, [ int *p = 0; p += 200; fprintf("%u/n, p), what is the end result? ]   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I first received a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. Standard behavioral questions: why Microsoft? explain internet to your grandmother?, etc. One month later, I received phone call to come out to the Microsoft campus for face to face interviews.

I had four interviews. Only one real technical interview all others behavioral. It was a 4 to 5 hour process. I received the results of interview within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer who couldn't fix computer mouse?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

Received a message through LinkedIn to submit my resume. I did then received a phone interview. After the phone interview I was brought to Charlotte for an in person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I got a linkedin mail asking for my resume, after that I was set up for a phone interview. I was then emailed about 3 weeks later that I was selected from the phone interview and they would like to fly me out to Dallas. 10 days later I was in Dallas. I was there for 3 days; the first night we met with other candidates and the interviewers. The next day my interview started at 1pm and lasted till 5pm. 4- 45 minute interviews with 15 minute breaks in between.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a conditional statement in programming?   1 Answer

Support Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied to a hardware/embedded engineering position and was then contacted for a support engineering phone interview. It went well but was not the position I applied for. Spoke with my recruiter and told them and they said they would fix it. Was contacted for another interview and was flown onsite to Los Colinas, Texas. Where I found out that most other applicants there were other engineers who also did not apply for the position. It seemed like they were trying to pull other engineers in for a final round interview for a position they did not apply for and then entice them to take it because of the Microsoft name and absurdly high pay although it did not seem to be much more than a glorified tech support position.

Interview Questions

• simulated a tech support phone call diagnosing a grandmas issues with her computer   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I came into the office for my interview, dressed in an interview suit. I was interviewed by a man and a woman. The woman was dressed in nice jeans and a blouse, and the man was wearing a T shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops. It was December and there was snow on the ground lol.

I was asked a series of questions that were intended to gauge my ability to problem solve, troubleshoot, and interact with someone less knowledgeable than myself.

The interview lasted for about 30 minutes and was fun and full of conversation. It was not overly stressful.

On my way home, not 15 minutes later, I received a call with a job offer for twice the pay I expected.

Please keep in mind, I've been with Microsoft for over 5 years now and I can tell you quite definitively that my experience is NOT the norm. Don't expect this same interview process. Typically the interview is either in person or over the phone and it involves a panel of people throwing incredibly difficult technical questions at you. They don't necessarily expect correct answers to all of those questions, but they want you to exhibit a strong technical proficiency and grace under pressure.

Interview Questions

• What do you know better than most other people?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

The experience was nice, they served breakfast and lunch, overall awesome experience. You meet up in a lobby with things to do such as an XBone and a giant touch sreen TV with fruit ninja, and some music. You hang out until the interviewees come to get you.

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There were four rounds of interviews. There were hundreds of candidates that were scheduled for the interviews. It was all planned perfectly by Microsoft. There were different interviews for every candidate who came in the same time slot. The four rounds of interviews had different areas:
    1. technical
    2. analytical
    3. resume
    4.hr
    All rounds were 1:1. Everyone in the panel and the building was dressed casually.