Microsoft Technical Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

3.2

69 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

After getting accepted and invited to come to campus after a phone interview. The on campus interview was an all day experience. Assigned a TAM chaperone who met me in the morning, had lunch with me and escorted me out at the end of the day. Also helped shepherd me between my 3 interviews. The first interview was more about me and what I have done and what I want to do. The second was more technical in nature. The third was more interpersonal interaction with a manager and role play with "clients".

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Provo, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

They asked me about a project I performed, and informed me that they will ask me question during the interview about it. The interviewer was not informed about how the process would continue, or it was his tecnique to avoid telling me if I would pass to a 2nd interview, but he did not tell me what the next steps were, or when could I expect to have feedback from them.

Interview Questions

• What project can you mention?   1 Answer
    • How did you organize yourself and how did you prepare to accomplish it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

The HR contacted me after I applied on the careers website, Nice person noted some details from my end and asked for my compensation expectation and pretty much normal HR Interview

1 week after he contacted back stating the Hiring Manager will like to speak with me as he is very happy with my resume and my work ex. I spoke with the manager and a regular interview about what I do and all stuff and I asked few of my questions and he was very happy with me and over the phone he told me that he wants me to be onsite for next set of interviews. Dropped off the call with telling me that HR will contact for next steps

1 week later the HR contacts and informs me that scheduling team will contact me

the next week Friday Scheduling team asks me to confirm my availability and they fly me in next week for interviews

I met with 4 different people as per the schedule. Lunch was provided

Then after the 4th round I was about to leave as I was done for the day when the 1st interviewer came and told me that the Dept Director will also like to meet me.

That was the first sign which I thought that its a positive sign

Met the director and then post interview she walked me to the door and said the HR will reach out to me in 2 next weeks

Interview Questions

• 1st Round was basic HR questions

2nd Round - with Hiring Manager was a regular interview with all basic questions as to what I am doing at the my current role and how will I fit in their requirement

3rd Round was an Onsite Interview with 4 people:-

Round 1: Technical round where they try to judge technical skill set depending on the requirement of the role (For this role: It was nice to have technical skill set understanding of basis JAVA and SQL)

Round 2: Behavioral Scenario based questions and they try to pick your mind as to how will you perform in different scenarios (No answer is right or wrong its just they want to learn about you that how you think and plan and approach Tip: Use STAR Approach it helps)

Round 3: met with Manager and similar to round 2 with some behavioral questions and gave me a walk thru of their process as well and the org structure ( It is very important that you portray your customer facing skill set as that is the key requirement for this role)

(Tip: If they feel that you may not be a good fit for the role then they will ask you that you are done for the day and round 4 doesn't happen)

LUNCH

Round 4: Conference Call with 1 of the Partners and she also tried to pick my brain, i shared my experiences and she gave me few scenarios and situations and wanted to know my approach and what I would have done good or better in it.

Then as I was about to leave the 1st interviewee came in the room and asked me to wait for a little while as the Director wanted to meet me
      (Tip: If you get this call for any of the role you are interviewing 99% chances the job is yours and you will get an offer unless you screw)

Round 5: She gave me few details about the expectations and ethics and culture at Microsoft and asked me culture related questions like my style of working etc   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online, initial contact from MS Recruiter, phone screen a week later.
    Phone screen with Senior TAM member. Asked to describe TAM members job responsibilities.
    No technical questions or IT management questions asked. The rest of the time was spent listening to the Senior TAM talk about his daily tasks and how busy he is. At the end was told to follow up with recruiter 5 days later for decision. Sent Thank you Email after the interview and followed up 5 days later and this is where everything turned very unprofessional.
    1st follow up - Told to contact another recruiter since he is no longer working on the role.
    2nd follow up - Told by the second recruiter that she will let me know by end of week and that my candidacy is still being considered.

Complete radio silence for a month, then out of the blue an email stating we regret to inform you.
    I understand not being selected but waiting a month and a half to let you know left a very bitter taste in my mouth. But again this is Microsoft...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Gainesville, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after being passed my resume from another recruiter. Set up the first interview for about a month after I was originally contacted. Communication with the recruiter was great leading up to the interview. First interview was easy, all behavioral questions and the typical questions you'd hear from a big company. Interview went really well, interviewer was really nice and it seemed like we spent more time just talking about Microsoft and what she did as a TAM, she was very personable. Left the interview and began to wait. Communication with the recruiter nearly dropped off completely - I understand they were probably busy sorting through the applicants, but since I had other opportunities I was pursuing, I wanted to hear back sooner rather than later. Ended up waiting about 3 more months with no contact back from Microsoft or the recruiter until I received an email from them saying the position was filled already and that I would be notified if another spot opened up.

Interview Questions

• Why work for Microsoft? What experience do you have with Microsoft technologies? Tell me about an experience you had with a difficult customer or teammate and how it was handled. If you were in a gardening business and a client hired you, how would you interact with the client to deliver your services?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

It's all very conversational. I was hired through a Microsoft Academy of College Hire program. It's a very young and fun group. There were four back-to-back interviews. Started with introduction of yourself, your previous work experience and school project. Then they will ask what's your impression about Microsoft and what is your thought about the position you are applying for. What is your interest/ focus. They really care about what type of your personality is

Interview Questions

• general introduction. I was asked what to do if I'm about to pass deadline.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Very much a role playing exercise where I had to run a monthly review for a fictitious customer. After running the meeting with 6 other attendees, they did take the opportunity to ask questions (as a panel) and then gave me the opportunity to ask my own set of questions It was difficult, but certainly an enjoyable interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based behaviors were largely evaluated during the first part of the interview.

Other questions:
      Why do you want to work for Microsoft? They are truly trying to see if you will fit into the Microsoft culture.
      what do you do when you become stressed and can't keep up with the workload?
      How do you keep up to date with technology?   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2015.

Interview

Entire process took almost 90 days from initial contact through interview feedback. Haphazard and poorly organized. Sat for two hours waiting for first interview to start. Three weeks to hear back from recruiter.

Interview Questions

• You could do this job in your sleep, but why would you want to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was in an Open House format. After checking-in with the recruiters, you are to visit all applicable groups in the meeting rooms. At each table you will meet professionals of the discipline and get the opportunity to ask questions about the positions, discuss the company, and talk about your experiences.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with SQL Server and Windows Server?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about two weeks later via email. It started with the usual initial recruiter screen. The hiring manager screen came a couple of days. At the end of the call, he offered an in person interview. About a week and a half later I was on the Irvine campus. The interviews were one on one with potential peers and the hiring manager. I had five interviews that lasted 50 minutes each. Lunch was provided. Best way to prep for a TAM interview is to review Change Management, Service Delivery and practice answering your questions on a whiteboard. You will be asked to write things out. The questions were not really technical, but more of processes and "Tell me a time when you....". The entire TAM team was really nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Define and show me what Change Management is on the whiteboard.   1 Answer