Microsoft Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

3.5

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Interview

Was introduced to recruiter at career fair. Received e-mail of interest from recruiter within two weeks. Had two phone interviews asking mainly technical questions followed by in-person interviews with four managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult problem you encountered and how you worked to solve it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Interview

The interviewer is conducted on Skype due to oversea's position. Time of interview was 40-50 minutes. 10-12 questions. To prepare for this interview, I assort about 10-15 Microsoft interview questions and most of them are what I received as interview question. However, some of questions that have no correct answers are hard to answer, it is definitely best to think and prepare them before interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you build a refrigerator (or a calculator)?
      If you are to build a kitchen, what will it look like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in December 2012.

Interview

1 round have to answer 12 questions on the phone. 80% correct rate will earn you a ticket to the 2 round.
    2 round talk to a senior support engineer about troubleshoting questions
    3 round onsite to meet the team, last round was still tough, I was asked a lot tough questions like from the windows networks to windows clusters, from software to hardware tuning

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

They got my resume through college career services. The interview consisted of 4 1:1 interview each lasted for 45 minutes. three of them were much more at behavioral side and one was general programming.

Interview Questions

• Everything was too general. Couldn't even figure out what they were looking for.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Campus interview is easy, just talk previous working experience.
    Phone interview is not hard, just anwer the question about "the most difficulty of your work..."
    The day before onsite interview, there is a dinner to meet engineers in MS.
    Onsite interivew is intensive. Talk to 4 person, and 45 minitues per person. Everyone will give you a like behavior question, such as "what would you do if something happened..."
    They are very nice persons, every student is exciting about the interview, but not everyone can get offer.
    By the end of interview day, the offer will be known.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

the process is quite smoothly and check with HR, HR will deliver the resume with the team managers

When we process the inteview, it will raise some common techincal issues and some IQ issues

Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Issaquah, WA) in September 2009.

Interview

Referral, HR phone screen and then in person

Interview Questions

Negotiation

pretty close ended

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in January 2009.

Interview

My interview was great technically tough but open and warm.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

IT was good but it was also before Microsoft became greedy and stingy.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Lisbon (Portugal)) in April 2017.

Interview

I first applied through an online form that I found out on a Facebook group of University colleagues. I had to submit my personal information along with CV. Then, one to two weeks later I got an e-mail with an online test invite. I had to answer a lot of behavioral questions (such as "What would you do if a colleague (....)" or "Would you consider innovation to be more important than (...)") - no technical questions so far. Another two to three weeks later I got a Skype interview (I could only choose one day and the timezone was in IST so there were some misunderstandings as to whether that meant Indian or Irish but in the end everything worked out well). I knew that I passed it a few days later and the next week I have the assessment centre (let's see how that will go!), which will include a 10min presentation, technical interviews (coding) and group exercises. I'm marking this interview "Offer" status as "Not received" because I have yet to go to the assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain the cloud to a person who's not very techy?
      What is Microsoft for you?
      Why would you like to work at Microsoft?
      What's your favourite Microsoft product?   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bucharest (Romania)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bucharest (Romania)) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a pretty long interviewing process. It took from around march until the beginning of may.
    It consisted of several parts:
    1) I applied through their platform, Yello for this job. After about 2 days they answered on e-mail with an invitation for an online test.
    2) The online test. Situational judgement. You were given the role of someone inside a company, there was a situation and you had to order 5 given answers from most to less likely. You have no time limit. It's pretty easy. It took about 3 more days to answer with an invitation to next phase.
    3) A recorded video interview. I must say that other colleagues of mine who applied for the same job were sent directly to phase 4. The recorded video interview was not that easy. It takes some time to set up the gear you have for the interview and to test it. When you begin the interview you have a total of 8 question. The first was a "warm up" about what you like to do, the 6 questions similar to the ones in the online test only that you had to answer with your own words and what you would really do. The last one was about what technology improvements excites you the most. Nothing too technical. The hard part is that you are given 30 seconds to read the question and prepare your answer and the 2 minutes to answer. The main thing is not to get panicked, to stay calm and smile. After that it took about 1 week for them to answer and invite me to next phase. I also sent them an e-mail asking about the status of my application.
    4) The Skype interview. The great thing about it is that you get schedule it when it's best for you. The Skype interview was great. The assessor was very friendly and made me feel very comfortable. It was more like a dialog which I really enjoyed. The questions are general, about you, the job and Microsoft, what expectations you have, then the last one was about new technologies (just as the one at the recorded interview). It took about 20 minutes. After a week I received the invitation to the final assessment center.
    5) The assessment center. We were called at the Microsoft Office and spent a whole day there. There were 5 stages:
    - a presentation (10 minutes limit - something we had to prepare at home for about 2-3 days before)
    - a group exercise ( Team of 6 random people - 20 minutes time limit - given task.)
    - 2 Soft Skills interviews (with 2 different assessors - Most questions are about you, how would you react in different situations. What matters the most is to be yourself and describe how would you really act. Honesty is at price here.)
    - Technical interview (Here is not about how much you know, it's about how you think. You can't "prepare" for it. It only requires very basic knowledge about technology.)
    I really thought that I screwed up the Assessment Center, especially the 2 soft skills interviews and the group exercise because my group was really bad but after three weeks after that I was called and informed that I was selected for the Internship. :D

Interview Questions

• Online test:
      You are the manager of a team and you are given the task of X, but you can't perform it because of Y. What would you do? And 5 answers that you had to order from most to less likely . X/Y can be anything.
      They were similar at both Skype and recorded video Interview.
      The Skype is a dialogue with some questions about why did you applied there and why Microsoft, why should you be hired, what can you offer them and what can them offer to you and so on.
      The Assessment Center Questions:
      The ones from the soft skills interview were pretty hard. I don't even remember them anymore. Other than that prepaid to answer about you, your hobbies, strengths, weaknesses and about how you see Microsoft Company in today's world. The main thing is to be honest about what you say.   1 Answer