Microsoft Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Microsoft Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated May 22, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screening then a coding excersise through Skype. The people were great but the interview wasn't for me. They were whiteboard questions about things I've not worked on since uni. Personally I don't like that kind of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Implementing a powerset finding algorithm.   2 Answers
    • Creating a situation where a deadlock would happen.   1 Answer

Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Initial call from recruiter, then screening call with hiring manager and finally I was invited to their assessment centre.

The assessment day involved a face to face interview, a presentation and a case study exercise. In total I was interviewed by 6 people who all seemed quite pleasant. It was a tough interview process with challenging questions but enjoyable overall.

Unfortunately, the post interview salary negotiation was quite aggressive, intrusive and downright insulting. consequently, I declined the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Microsoft? What makes you angry?   2 Answers

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview process was fluid and the University Staffing Team were very helpful at all times. After the application process online I was interviewed on Skype and finally invited to the assessment centre.
    The Skype Interview involved questions about my interest to the programme and general questions about skills and experience. The assessment centre involved a series of individual interviews and group tasks. Overall a relax and great experience.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good candidate for this programme?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Interview

Psychometric tests followed by a video and a Skype interview. The video interview was the hardest part, as you were not interacting with anyone and made me feel uneasy. The questions were quite personal, as "why do you like marketing?" or "tell us when you showed leadership skills" etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one instance where you were confronted to an issue and how you managed to resolve it.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Great, straightforward process. There will be a technical interview, 1-2 product design interviews, several cultural fit ones. Make sure you ask a lot of clarifying questions - the design interviews are meant to test whether you think about customer needs and will dig deep to get them. In this case, think of the interviewers as your customers.

At the end of each interview in the final round, they will give you feedback. If they don't, ask for it (what should I do differently/better?). Make sure you take this on and attempt to demonstrate in the next round - they're looking to see if you take on feedback.

Business Operations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2017.

Interview

I sent my CV and was invited to do an online situational judgment test a few days after my submission. 5 days later i was asked to completed an automated video interview which involved roughly 10 question appearing on the screen in which i had to answer within I time limit. There is a 30-second interval to give you time to think about your answer which is helpful.

Interview Questions

• What recent technological innovation has interested you and why?   2 Answers

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)).

Interview

First you apply online with questions relating to why you want to apply and how your experiences make you a good candidate. Then there is an online test to gauge how you would react in certain situations followed by a pre recorded interview with similar questions as well as competency. This is then followed by a skype interview aboutt he company, a portfolio review and finally an assessment centre

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite piece of technology   4 Answers

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very informal, but the people were lovely. I met with the lady who was currently in the position and the marketing director. I am very entrepreneurial and I was made to feel welcome and comfortable that I was invited in based on merit. That made me feel at ease, I prepared so much for the interview, I was almost thrown by the fact that we had a more casual conversation to find out about me. I wish the XBOX division was in Reading, I am a gamer at heart!

Interview Questions

• How would your colleagues describe you?

Tell me a time when you dealt with conflict in a team?
      2 Answers

Graduate Technical Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied Online, a number of tests online and also questions that you had to complete as part of the process.

Then Video Interview (Prerecorded).

Then Skype Interview, it lasted about 30 minutes. The employee actually forgot about my booked slot and so we had to reschedule.

Finally invite to assessment centre. We had to book our own transport, and will apparently be able to claim back for it later (Up to £75). We were given a week to prepare, and had to prepare a 10 minute presentation on "Your thoughts and views on how an individual’s life or business/organisation can be transformed through Microsoft’s products and/or services".
    After a brief meet and greet with all of the assessors for the day, we had to present our presentation to one/two of them, and they gave us questions on this afterwards.
    After this we had a group exercise in which we were given a number of stock photos and had to create a story around them in which a person/business had encountered a problem, and Microsoft had been able to help them fix it.
    Then a technical interview.
    Then two strengths based interviews.

During the day we were also given a tour of their (amazing!) building, and had some free time while others were doing their technical interviews in order to try out the 'Xbox room' - a room with ~20 Xbox' a racing gaming setup with 3 tvs, and floor to ceiling Minecraft style trees with picnic benches and stools.
    The whole building had free drinks machines around, and we were also provided lunch on the day.

Interview Questions

• (Skype Interview): How would you explain to a young person how cloud computing works.   1 Answer
    • (Skype Interview and Interview at Assessment Centre): Who is the Microsoft CEO and what is his mission?   1 Answer

MACH Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The process consisted of 4 steps:
    - Online application - upload resume, fill out details about education, experience etc. and answer a couple of questions like "Why Microsoft".
    - Video screening - pre-recorder questions in video and you were given a time limit to answer them. They were scenarios that assessed your soft skills, team spirit, leadership. I found this to be the most difficult part of the process because of its awkward nature to talk in front of the camera by yourself.
    - HR interview - Skype interview with a recruiter who asked questions about my experiences and some scenarios as well
    - Assessment center - full day on campus with travel expenses covered by Microsoft. We were around 12 people, split into groups and did rounds of interviews. Firstly, we had to present to two interviewers a presentation we had prepared from home days before to AC. Second interview was a technical one (since I applied for the technical stream), where we went through some questions which showed basic understanding of technical stuff. They are more interested in the way you think, so don't worry if you don't have a ready-to-spit answer. Third round, we were a group of 5 people and had to create a scenario about a problem which can be overcome using Microsoft technologies and services. Make sure you are involved throughout and have your voice heard because you are being interviewed the whole time by the 4 interviewers in the room, not just the presentation time. Final round, we had two 1-1 interviews with hiring managers and they asked scenario based questions which assessed different skills and strengths.
    Everyone was very friendly throughout and although it was a big day, I can say I had a lot of fun and enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• Your grandmother tell you her TV doesn't work. What do you do?   1 Answer
    • BST in-order traversal coding question.   1 Answer