Microsoft User Experience Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 24, 2017

3.5

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had a phone interview where I was asked about my basic research experience and skills. After this, I was asked to do a face-to-face interview. The hiring manager told me the date and time of our interview, and that was that. Two days before the interview, HR called me to "set up an interview." Apparently the hiring manager didn't tell HR that I was being interviewed, so they had to scramble to fit me into the schedules of those interviewing me. HR was supposed to contact me the morning of the interview to walk me through what the day would look like -- they didn't. I had to call them (and by "them" I mean some random HR representative in New York -- on his cell phone?) He told me not even an hour before my interview WHO would be interviewing me (there's multiple people). He also told me that I failed to fill out paperwork that the company had sent me regarding a non-disclosure agreement. The company NEVER emailed me this DocuSign, and the HR representative ARGUED with me. He finally checked his email and said, "oh yeah. You're right."

Fast forward to the interview itself, they interviewed me for a totally different position. I'm qualitative, not quantitative. This was VERY clear in my resume and CV. I was interviewed by 4 people, and the hiring manager laughed in my face when he asked me advanced quantitative questions that I didn't know the answer to. It was the worst interview experience of my entire life, and I have no clue how I could have one WORSE than this in the future.

EVERYONE involved in the hiring process was rude, unorganized, unprepared, and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Various research projects you've done, your methods, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview was a straightforward behavioral based interview. There were a few questions that were about my knowledge of the company, some very specific. The interview was fairly short, there was a significant amount of time available for questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with others that are enterprising?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

First, I had an interview with a recruiter. We set up a time over email. She forgot to call me at the time and so we set up a second time. She was very nice and helpful. The hiring manager then called me a week later. It was a great conversation and we really clicked.
    About a week after that, someone from the manager's team called me. We agreed on a time. The guy called 15 min late. In addition, he was in a bad mood. The interview more more like an interrogation of my skill set and abilities rather than a two way conversation. Although he called me late, he did not extend the interview and it was over in 15 minutes. He also did not let me ask any questions and was in a rush to get off the phone. Clearly, he was having a bad day.
    Needless to say, I was not moved to the next phase, which is a shame.

Interview Questions

• Basic statistic questions and quantitative and qualitative data collection techniques.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process involved a series of phone screenings in which I participated in two of them. The interviewers were very friendly and personable. I felt like the interviewers were industry professionals who were very knowledgeable and had a wealth of experience to draw from. Even though I didn't pass they had recommendations to help me succeed in future interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my past experiences and how they had prepared me to tackle projects assigned to me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very pleasant experience. Took about 1 month in total. Two phone interviews followed by an onsite. Everyone was super nice and smart. Many detailed questions about projects done in the past, hypothetical scenarios, and interests about potential future projects. Talked with manager, designer, and engineer. The interviews made me feel that the interviewers truly appreciate my past work, although they may have a different set of research approaches and skills. All the conversations were very enjoyable, like brainstorming ideas with peers.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you had to persuade your manager about a particular design idea.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

Very thorough. You will spend the day with several different researchers discussing methods, case studies, and interpersonal skills. You will likely give a portfolio presentation as well. If you make it past 3 interviews, that is typically a good sign.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with conflict at work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had a quick phone screen with the hiring manager one day after being referred by my contract agency. A few days later I had a set of three 1:1 interviews, two with user researchers and one with a designer. The total interview process was about three hours. I was given an offer within a few days and started my employment within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Someone on the team has a strong opinion about how a certain feature should be designed, but you disagree that it is a good user experience. How do you approach the situation?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher hourly rate. Additionally, my rate was also slightly higher because I voluntarily opted out of health benefits, as I already have them through my spouse.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I got a phone interview for this position at Microsoft. The director of UX was very cordial and asked me details about my projects and honors thesis etc. I was then asked to prepare for another phone interview with a UX lead which I didn't think went very well. I didn't seem very prepared for the questions that were asked because they were more UX design related but I was expecting something about UX Research or experimental design. I should have prepared for both?

Interview Questions

• I was asked to identify and explain a newly redesigned feature of the software that had a UX issue in the previous version. I was also asked to describe an alternative design plan for the same. I couldn't answer that very well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2009.

Interview

Microsoft takes great care in hiring the best of the best. It's an amazing company with great people. Make sure you love what you do before joining the role. Consisted of 8 interviews back to back from 9 am - 7pm + Initial phone interview with the team. They test every possible skill from research + partnership + collaboration skills + people skills etc to make sure you are an all rounder

User Experience Researcher Interview

Interview

Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.