Microsoft User Experience Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 12, 2017

3.5

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview was a straightforward behavioral based interview. There were a few questions that were about my knowledge of the company, some very specific. The interview was fairly short, there was a significant amount of time available for questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with others that are enterprising?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

First, I had an interview with a recruiter. We set up a time over email. She forgot to call me at the time and so we set up a second time. She was very nice and helpful. The hiring manager then called me a week later. It was a great conversation and we really clicked.
    About a week after that, someone from the manager's team called me. We agreed on a time. The guy called 15 min late. In addition, he was in a bad mood. The interview more more like an interrogation of my skill set and abilities rather than a two way conversation. Although he called me late, he did not extend the interview and it was over in 15 minutes. He also did not let me ask any questions and was in a rush to get off the phone. Clearly, he was having a bad day.
    Needless to say, I was not moved to the next phase, which is a shame.

Interview Questions

• Basic statistic questions and quantitative and qualitative data collection techniques.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process involved a series of phone screenings in which I participated in two of them. The interviewers were very friendly and personable. I felt like the interviewers were industry professionals who were very knowledgeable and had a wealth of experience to draw from. Even though I didn't pass they had recommendations to help me succeed in future interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my past experiences and how they had prepared me to tackle projects assigned to me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very pleasant experience. Took about 1 month in total. Two phone interviews followed by an onsite. Everyone was super nice and smart. Many detailed questions about projects done in the past, hypothetical scenarios, and interests about potential future projects. Talked with manager, designer, and engineer. The interviews made me feel that the interviewers truly appreciate my past work, although they may have a different set of research approaches and skills. All the conversations were very enjoyable, like brainstorming ideas with peers.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you had to persuade your manager about a particular design idea.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

Very thorough. You will spend the day with several different researchers discussing methods, case studies, and interpersonal skills. You will likely give a portfolio presentation as well. If you make it past 3 interviews, that is typically a good sign.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with conflict at work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had a quick phone screen with the hiring manager one day after being referred by my contract agency. A few days later I had a set of three 1:1 interviews, two with user researchers and one with a designer. The total interview process was about three hours. I was given an offer within a few days and started my employment within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Someone on the team has a strong opinion about how a certain feature should be designed, but you disagree that it is a good user experience. How do you approach the situation?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher hourly rate. Additionally, my rate was also slightly higher because I voluntarily opted out of health benefits, as I already have them through my spouse.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I got a phone interview for this position at Microsoft. The director of UX was very cordial and asked me details about my projects and honors thesis etc. I was then asked to prepare for another phone interview with a UX lead which I didn't think went very well. I didn't seem very prepared for the questions that were asked because they were more UX design related but I was expecting something about UX Research or experimental design. I should have prepared for both?

Interview Questions

• I was asked to identify and explain a newly redesigned feature of the software that had a UX issue in the previous version. I was also asked to describe an alternative design plan for the same. I couldn't answer that very well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2009.

Interview

Microsoft takes great care in hiring the best of the best. It's an amazing company with great people. Make sure you love what you do before joining the role. Consisted of 8 interviews back to back from 9 am - 7pm + Initial phone interview with the team. They test every possible skill from research + partnership + collaboration skills + people skills etc to make sure you are an all rounder

User Experience Researcher Interview

Interview

Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Interview

Contacted by headhunter for private firm. Mentioned that my background was suited to a position at microsoft. Interviewed on a Friday with my immediate manager and their immediate manager. They asked a variety of questions related to my work experience and, specifically, my school experience (since I am very new to this field).

Interview Questions

• What aspect of you education prepated you for this role?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This recruiting firm initially said that the manager was thinking about $40/hr. But I knew that because of my lack of experience I would have to take less. This is a vendor position and the pay is a lot higher than with agency (A-) positions