Microsoft Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 3, 2017

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online through the company website upon employee referral. I received an email from a corporate recruiter within several hours and we set up time for an initial phone interview the following week. The interview was very basic and informative and the recruiter provided me with a good overview of what the hiring process would entail for this particular role.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Microsoft?   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Typical process, separate interview gating with prospective group lead, then that person's business lead, then a day of team interviews. Team interview day was only a half day of interviews, as it was only part of the team. They had flown into my locale for an internal conference and were fitting me into the schedule. I was scheduled for 3 rounds, the first 2 consisting of pairs of team members and the last one was my prospective group lead's counterpart. When I showed up I was presented a small stack of papers to read and sign, one of which was an NDA to protect Microsoft from any proprietary information that might be shared with me during the interviews. It turned out to be ironic, as the senior interviewer in round 1 asked me how I would solve a certain problem they were facing, as I had been doing the exact same work on my current program, albeit at a much smaller scale. He was very unhappy with my vague answers, but I was not about to explain exactly how my team solved the problem, as it was proprietary to my current company. Strike one.

The second round consisted of 2 junior to mid-level team members who were new to the team within the last 2 years. Very energetic, asked typical and some odd questions. When I asked them to describe the job, they spent a lot of time detailing the long hours and hard work they were doing, but not much time about the actual problems or tasks. Strike two.

The last round consisted of normal interview questions until half way through. The interviewer slid a few sheets of paper across the table and explained it was a set of questions he used to give to candidates he interviewed when he ran a consulting company. He told me I had 20 minutes to answer the questions and then left the room. The HR recruiter from Redmond specifically told me that no tests would be given in any interviews, as that was an issue they had previously dealt with in their culture, but I found it annoying because I was interviewing for a PM position vice technical. Despite answering the questions to what appeared to be satisfactory when the interviewer returned and reviewed, I was no longer willing to be interviewing. Strike three.

Unexpectedly, the junior team member from the first round returned and asked if he could spend some time with me, as the senior member from his round monopolized the time (trying to pry proprietary info from me). This was the only normal and relevant conversation I had all day, but unfortunately by this point, I was acutely aware I was not a good fit for the culture. As I walked out, I saw the signs on the various conference room doors and discovered that the focus area of the questions I had been asked in all of the interviews was the topic of the conference. Enlightening.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell the group lead's business manager if he asked you how to fix Microsoft?   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

The hiring was good, I don't say it is hard but the process makes it great for employers who really wants to show what they could achieve in their life.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. First, I had a phone screen with one of the team members to gauge whether or not I would be a good culture fit. There were a couple of technical questions (nothing difficult) just to verify that I actually knew the things I had on my resume. After that, it took about two weeks for me to get schedule for the next round of interviews.

My finals day interview included sessions with three different people: two technical, one HR. Each interview lasted approximately an hour. The first technical screen wasn't too complicated, it just verified basic knowledge of the technologies I was being hired to work with. The second technical screen was incredibly difficult. The questions were worded very strangely, and required extensive knowledge of not just how the technologies worked, but how each component interacted with each other. I really though that I did bad, but the interviewer intended the questions to be difficult; I only needed a 50% to pass. The third interview was with the manager of the team I would be working with; it was a very standard round of HR questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why do you want to work at Microsoft?   1 Answer

Explorer Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied directly through recruiter after an info-session at our university. Got an email to schedule for a phone interview 3 days later. However, was swamped with mid-terms so re-scheduled for a later interview date on Saturday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge you faced during a group project or a hackathon.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied on campus career fair. Then got a campus interview invitation after two weeks. The interview lasted around 45mins. The interviewer let me introduce a project on my resume that I am most proud of. Then started the coding session. There were some follow ups. At the end is Q&A time.

Sales Solution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Incredible experience with incredibly smart people. The interview was structured,well thought out and focused on getting the job done. The position is geared for a self-starter and someone who can work independently and get along well with others. Employee and customer relations are of the upmost importance They would expect complete accountability and want you to own your own business.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you'd be good for this position.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Hiring process was long but fair. They asked great questions and the follow-up was fantastic. The interviewers were very nice and knowledgable. It was an overall great experience. There is a ton of preparation needed if you want to have an effective interview.

Enterprise Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Excellent communication and great experience. I had submitted my resume online a while ago and was contacted out of the blue for their Enterprise Architecture position. The experience overall took about 1 month to offer and then an additional 2-3 weeks to start date. It can be nerve racking as you wait to progress through each stage. Definitely practice if you can with someone who has gone through it. There are a ton of nuances that you may not be aware of as an outsider. Make sure you are Microsoft branded i.e. you don't "google" something, you "bing" it, and try and minimize non-Microsoft in your background. This is a competitve take-no prisoners company that is out to destroy the competition. Know what you are getting into.

Interview Questions

• What is your brand? (Just had to mention this as the greatest interview question I've ever been asked. I'm going to use myself going forward.)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations were pleasant. They know how to value you correctly. There is always a littlge wiggle room so don't hesitate to ask for more up to 5% and you likely get 2.5%.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through campus career fair. Interview at campus 2 weeks later. We talked a lot about the projects I've done and how I think about this position. Time went so fast that we didn't not even have much time to do the coding question.