Microsoft Interview Questions in Washington State | Glassdoor

3.3

2,016 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

It was a straight forward interview like other tech companies. Started with a technical phone screen and was called onsite. CTCL, glassdoor, (basic data structures, algos, design) would do it.

Interview Questions

• Design question can be pretty challenging based on the seniority you apply for.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied through a referral. Was flown to Seattle for a day. Four interviews, 2 technical, 2 more of behavioral. Microsoft is a decisive company, one side of it is the vibrant company trying to zoom into the next gen world, another side is a lagging huge dinosaur and you can see both of those all the way from interview to on boarding.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Sr. Software Engineer position in azure group and got a call within a month. The recruiter arranged for a phone interview which consisted of couple of technical questions which I answered perfectly within an hour. Everything went well from my end but to my disappointment I did not hear back neither from the recruiter nor the interviewer. I have interviewed for more than 5 times and did really good in almost all of them but no response whatsoever. I just don't get how things roll in this company! No communication or feedback, an absolute disrespect for candidates time. What kind of insecure people are interviewing candidates here? I hope the manager or a shadow person was present with the interview so as to minimize such bias. I hope this actually is taken up by the HR and good talent is not lost due to some insecure people at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

First recruiter contacted me and asked me for availability to talk for 30 min. After that schedule d technical skype chat with senior software engineer.Started interview explaining about the team and the projects they have.Asked me to talk about what I am doing in my current company.After that started two coding question.Solved the problems but unfortunately I think they thought I have less experience.Recruiter said will be in touch with you with some other opportunities.

Interview Questions

• write a method to return the duplicate in a integer array   2 Answers
    • write a method to return six strong frequencies among group of radio stations(group is something like there is no end for that)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was an interesting experience. The interviewers are quite smart. They will study your resume before coming into the room. I had a total of 5 rounds though I was told 3 - which is supposed to be a good sign but I got a reject and the final interview was really meaningless. My interviewer, the manager, was texting all the time while interviewing me and while I was coding on the whiteboard. That really brought me down and made me nervous which I didn't happen to be all day.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

Ghosted by the Microsoft recruiter during the interview process - Not a good impression Microsoft!

All was well with the initial phone interview with the Microsoft recruiter. We quickly arranged my first three meetings with separate individuals on separate days (due to schedules). After the initial phone interview, all communications were via email. Ok, that's fine with me, we don't have to actually speak.

However, though I emailed the recruiter before and after EACH of my interviews, I NEVER heard from her again (after the initial phone interview - not even any kind of prep about the interview process, etc, which other competitors provide to all interviewees graciously). Not the way to treat a "potential" employee.

Luckily, I was interviewing with several companies (competitors) at this level (and I was upfront with Microsoft recruiter and employees about this fact), never getting a response to my polite emails just makes my choice so much easier - - to go with one of your competitors instead of Microsoft.

If this is how you treat someone that you "want" to work at your company, makes me really cautious of how you would treat me as an employee!

Granted there are a lot of people who are dying to work at Microsoft and Microsoft has a plethora of openings (it is a VERY large behemoth) and people to choose from, but I'm lucky in having my choice of companies...and how you treat people is very important to me - not just a motto for you to place on your website. Thanks Microsoft, but I'll pass.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions about the job. Or explanation of what was on my resume. Or skills test/questions.
      All interviews were very rushed and the interviewers bounced all over the place. No structure at all.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

A contingent recruiter contacted me to attend the Industry Hiring Event at then Redmond campus. After clearing the coding assessment, I flew to Redmond for my interviews. According to the recruiter, the hiring decision would be made the same day. It's been 3 weeks since then, the recruiter hasn't replied to my email asking for an update. Such recruiters are a shame to companies like Microsoft! It's their responsibility to update the candidates after the interviews and not behave like it's not their problem! I'm going ahead another offer from a well known company in the same area.
    Coming to the interviews, they were all pretty easy. 4 interviews with the managers/team leads (really really boring). I had been preparing for interviews since a month and found these rounds a lot easier than the other companies I interviewed with. Don't really know what they were trying to judge by asking such lame questions! Never expected this from Microsoft.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I took the hiring event onsite hosting by Microsoft for AI & R.
    Before interviewing with Microsoft, I already got offers from several other big companies among FLAG & UAD.

1st round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    the AI team member looks like is an Indian, gave a question that I ever saw than know the answer. I tried to explain to him the optimized solution. He gave me several hints that turned out to be wrong (he admit it in the interview), and finally the result is NO probability because I don't take his wrong hint and stick to the right direction. That is ridiculous.

2nd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    The AI team member looks like an Indian, gave me first question. I analyze the problem and break it down into pretty reasonable parts similar as divide and conquer. I gave her a runnable answer with Time n^2 Space 1, and evolute 4 rounds to optimize it further and further to the best solution I can get. Then she gave me second question, I provided my two runnable solutions but the interviewer ask for solution without any extra space( data structure) to use. That is tentatively make the problem harder, but finally I get the solution per her requirement.
    And finally, the result is NO for my fast problem solving and clear code and personality to get the fast and correct answer. Ridiculous!

3rd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer though not the best solution, YES

The team member looks like an Asian, gave me two questions, and I analyze the question and optimize it further and further with Time and Space Complexity until the interviewer say ok to my solution. Pretty similar progress as previous two round. The result is YES.

4th round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, best solution, YES

I am a senior software engineer with 5 years working experience, suppose this round is a system design question, but it is still a coding question.

The team member looks like a native American, gave me one question, and I analyze the question fist with pseudo code and then real code with best solution. The result is YES.

Microsoft was ever a great company with excellent reputation and branding. She was justified an interviewer fairly without politics. But now, I guess the reason I got NO from first two rounds even I perform better, is that I am not Indian (personality and culture fit). How could you imagine a candidate get two NO round, with offers from 4 big companies.
    Yes, culture fit, personality reason. Ridiculous!

My suggestions to Microsoft Hiring Event:
    1. add shadow to interviewer every round.
    2. take a picture of the coding and design result.
    3. check the performance of the candidate who got an offer from hiring event.

Interview Questions

• Good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO for culture fit.   5 Answers

Application

Interview

I interviewed for Microsoft Azure group event.
    The overall process was nice, I first had online coding test with 3 questions, then they flew me to Seattle. Covered all my trip expenses.
    The interview started at 12:30 and went on till 4:30.
    There were 13 other candidates along with me, each of us was given a room. There were 4 interviews. Nothing too difficult, they would ask the basics, like the very basics. Make sure to practice whiteboard coding and write clean code. It's an easy interview, not like google. Don't try to study cracking the coding interview, I think even that was an overkill. They would be asking the most basics. So be prepared for that.