Milbank Tweed Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Milbank Tweed

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed (New York, NY).

Interview

A chat with all of the lawyers, very informal. They asked about my background + language skills and gave me more insight into the daily tasks at the office as well as each one's area of practice.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working in this location?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Average for a law firm, everyone was really nice and made an effort to seem interested in getting to know me. The interview lasted for about 4 hours. I took some computer tests (word and excel proficiency, spelling/grammar) then met with three different people.

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed in May 2016.

Interview

Applied for position online and was contacted about 5 days after. Interviewed the following week at the office, which consisted of an on site grammar, excel and word processing test plus various behavioral questions by HR committee members. Met with three people— HR coordinator, two Legal assistant directors— who were very easy to talk to and took notes while I answered questions. Pretty formal interview process— not a lot of discussion. I was offered a job over the phone a few hours after the interview.

Interview Questions

Received an offer that was a better fit for me.

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got a call from a paralegal manager the day of submitting the application. Scheduled to go into the New York Office for an interview. Spoke with a person from HR, and two other paralegal managers. Heard back after a day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary is pretty standard and no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The law firm had a posting on my college's career portal, so I applied via this portal by attaching my resume, cover letter, and transcripts (including those from when I studied abroad). I received a phone call about a week or two later, from an assistant asking to set up a phone interview. We set a time for the next few days. The phone interview was pretty straightforward, with the interviewer asking me about my background, interests/goals, why Milbank, and which other law firms I was planning on/already had applied to. She also told me a few of the reasons why Milbank stands out from its competitors and what legal assistants at Milbank gain from their experience while there. Next, I received an e-mail saying that they wanted to do an in person interview. When I arrived at Milbank, the woman, who is no longer there, told me to go into a room and complete a vocab/grammar and excel exam on the computer. During the interview, the interviewer, who this time was a more senior person, was not very friendly and pretty cold. The questions were basic once again, but I left the interview with a sense of disinterest - I was no longer interested in working for the firm.

Interview Questions

• Why Milbank?
      Can you tell me about a time when you had to overcome a difficult situation?
      Have you ever been forced to work with people with difficult people in a team? How did you deal with it?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online through email and received a call from an HR representative about 1 week later. Interviewed a couple weeks later in person. It started with a computer test on microsoft, word, excel and spelling/ grammar. Then I met with the HR coordinator who asked me questions about my experience and some behavioral questions. I was told I would hear back if I moved on to the next round or not, but never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Name three of your strengths. How do you manage multiple tasks at same time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I had one interview with HR, one with the managers of the LAs, and one with attorneys. Everyone was standard business pleasant. I had to follow up twice with HR to inquire whether I got the position.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions asked were your standard interview questions; no curve balls. All of them surrounded experiences listed on my resume, my willingness to work a lot of OT and my ability to handle stress.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not a whole lot of negotiation for entry level LA's. The offer stood as is. They do not pay relocation fees or do advancements for such.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Initially they will call over the phone and do a pretty brief interview and schedule an appointment for an in person interview. During the in person interview you will do Prove It testing to test your skills in microsoft word, excel, spelling and grammar. These tests are not very difficult, especially for people fresh out of college. After completing testing you will meet with an HR person, heads of the legal assistant department and possible a legal assistant. The people are very friendly and generally conversational and pleasant. They are also very quick to tell you that long hours are expected and that there is a steep learning curve. If they like you, they will call you back for a second interview to interview with partners of a specific department to determine if they would like to place you there. Overall, the interview process is not typical of other large firms where the people can be very unfriendly and condescending. Just answer honestly and choose your words carefully and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Most people ask behavioral questions that therefore lead to personal questions. For example, "name a time where you had to deal with difficult people" or "what accomplishment are you most proud of." All other questions usually ask about prior work experience or things that you briefly commented on.   Answer Question

Sumemr Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Milbank Tweed (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

45 minute interview with a partner and HR recruiter, followed by a tour of the office by a trainee. The interview questions mainly centered around my CV and then my motivations for working in corporate law and at the firm. I am waiting on the result of the interview. But it was very friendly, relaxed, and a genuinely positive experience.

Interview Questions

• There was a CV stage, where all the questions centered around what I had done. Then there was a shorter stage asking about my motivations for applying to Milbank and corporate law. Finally, there was an opportunity at the end for me to ask questions about the firm.   2 Answers