Mills Fleet Farm Automotive Category Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Mills Fleet Farm Automotive Category Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Mills Fleet Farm

1 Interview Review

Automotive Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mills Fleet Farm (Appleton, WI) in May 2013.

Interview

Through a headhunter, I was recruited to manage the entire Automotive categories. First I was required to fill out an application by hand, and fax it in. On the day of the phone interview, I was speaking to senior managment through the speaker phone. One guy asked all the questions while the 2nd one would periodically interject. It felt like an interrogation by the police. For every answer I gave, the second guy would parce my words or point out what was perceived as a contradiction. "How do you negotiate?" "What is a typical day?" "What percentage do you do X or Y in the course of the day?" Their tone was deadly serious.

They billed them selves as a fun company with loyal employees.

As a Category Manager, I would be expected to show up to work at 7AM and work through 545PM, and work Saturdays from 8AM to Noon. There is a chain of command that a CM would follow, and a CM could not have direct access to collaborate with store personnel except for designated managers. Maybe once or twice a year, a CM may get permission to visit their 32 locations.

Before the interview, I spoke to one of my suppliers who calls on this family run business who emulates their business model off Wal-mart. The supplier forewarned me that it is a very rigid environment. Vendors are discouraged from even having lunch with employees because it might pervert objectivity.

At the end of the interview, I felt that I had been subjected to a sterile environment, and hadn't even made it to an on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical day. What percentage to you truly negotiate? Tell us about what you know about Mills.   Answer Question