Ministry of Education Singapore General Education Officer (Untrained) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Ministry of Education Singapore

3.1

General Education Officer (Untrained) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Queenstown, Central (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Queenstown, Central (Singapore)) in November 2016.

Interview

Had to go write a short essay on a question of ethics, then a 5 minute teaching presentation and then the interview proper. Expected at least 4 people on the panel but there was only 2 excluding the HR personnel. All of them were ladies.

Found the entire process unpleasant. I felt like they weren't judging me based on whether I was really passionate about teaching, but whether I would cross some unmentioned/unsaid/unknown protocol in MOE that I DO NOT KNOW AS AN UNTRAINED TEACHER. Interviewers were unfriendly, insisted that a situation was as such (student STILL dont want to tell parents that she's pregnant) though my answer was "I'll do my best to gain the student's trust and convince her that letting her parents know about her pregnancy is the best way to handle the situation". And when i said "if all else fails, i'd have to seek help from a senior teacher". Interview glared and said "so you'd tell her parents?"

The entire interview process made me come to realisation that MOE didn't care about grooming interested individuals into good teachers but instead find people who would already know what to do. No offer has been made so far, but even if there was, I'd think twice about accepting because of the kind of environment these interviewers made MOE seem to be....

Interview Questions

• What made you want to teach?
    If you student came up to you and told you that she's pregnant, what would you do? Would you tell her parents even if she told you not to?
    Teachers are quitting because of heavy workload. What do you think about this?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Ministry of Education Singapore

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in December 2015.

Interview

It was a 3 part process - essay writing, a 5 min presentation on any topic, and lastly an interview with the panel. The panel consisted of 5 people, with a director/in-charge heading the interview. The director was very unfriendly and kept talking in an accusatory tone. At the end, they asked me if I had any questions. I asked "why do you want to be a teacher?". The director scolded me that I could not ask that. Overall, could have been a good interview except that the panel kept interrupting and spoke with a tone that seemed to try to start a fight.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a teacher and not a social worker?   Answer Question

General Education Officer (Untrained) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

1st step- they will ask you to write an essay for 20 minutes . If MTL you have to write in your own mother tongue language.
    2nd step- have a 5 min classroom session conducting a class for the panel of interviewers who act as students.
    3rd step- there will be 4 of them to interview. They will ask why you want to be teacher? And other related questions according to your working experience.

General Education Officer (Untrained) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

I started off with a GP style essay question which took 20 minutes to complete. After that, I was brought over to the panel interview. There were 4 interviewers (including one person from HR, who did not ask any questions). I first gave the sample lesson before then answering questions. I believe they asked 4-5 questions before I left. Everything took about an hour to complete.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2016.

Interview

as described in the briefing paper, it had 2 segments with essay writing, interview and trial teaching.
    Essay writing was relatively easy to handle as you will be shown to your own chair in another room before the interview. You will be asked to write your response to a plausible situation.
    Interview you will be asked on your methods of teaching, what you will be using, and your response to the situation.
    Trial teaching they will try to act like normal tamed students within a classroom.

The entirety was relatively relaxed and allows you to be yourself throughout the experience and was the most memorable interview I had to date. The interviewers genuinely wants to understand you as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• What will you be incorporating into your teaching methods in a classroom?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2017.

Interview

The entire interview process could be segmented into three parts.
    1) Written Essay (Question: What makes something beautiful?)

2) Teacher Presentation (Mock/Small Group Teaching)
    I presented a General Paper question from the GCE 'A' Levels 2016 and the interviewers were impersonating as students to test my response as they bombarded with lots of questions.

3) Interview
    Relatively interesting because they focused mainly on 'ethics' questions when I expected them to ask me on the rationale of choosing to teach JC or GP

Interview Questions

• 1) What do you think of student-teacher relationship?
      2) What do you think of teachers who go clubbing?   Answer Question

General Education Officer (Untrained) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Queenstown, Central (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Queenstown, Central (Singapore)) in July 2018.

Interview

- upon arrival, a 20 minute writing test will be administered (a question on ethics eg. if you found out that a fellow colleague has provided a special needs student with exam prompts, what course of action would you take?)
    - the interview panel will read your response before you enter the room
    - I had an interview panel of 4 (3 senior educators and 1 HR staff)
    - had to conduct a 5 minute teaching demonstration prior to the interview proper; the panel will role play as students, attempting to disrupt your lesson
    - impressions of the interview panel will vary from round to round and candidate to candidate, but my interviewers tended to be more unsmiling and stern

Interview Questions

• Why join teaching? Teaching is not all fun and games -- are you aware of the job scope of a teacher? How do you feel about spending your weekends marking and grading assignments? Are you aware of the mismatch between your degree and the subject you have applied to teach, and what that might entail? What do you think of *insert education policy*? Which other positions have you applied to (I suppose this is a a question for fresh grads)? If both MOE and *insert organization/company* were to present you with offers, which would you take? What do you think are some of the challenges a teacher of your level and subject might face?

If you have prior experience in teaching, they might ask you a few questions about that, so be prepared to share some stories. My interview wasn't as casual as I had hoped it would be; I'd describe it as more interrogatory than conversational. Overall, it was an interesting experience. One of my interviewers, stern as she was, was very attentive to my answers and even took the time to share tips on teaching with me. I

t wasn't a tough interview (ie. they won't ask you questions you completely didn't see coming), but I'd recommend rehearsing the 5-minute teaching demonstration portion prior to the big day, as that can really set the mood/the panel's impressions of you for the rest of the interview.   Answer Question

General Education Officer (Untrained) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

There are three components to the interview. In sequence, Essay Writing + Lesson + Panel Interview. Essay Writing asked about having a colleague who recently divorced and students are complaining work has not been marked, what would you do? Lesson conducted is more to test your classroom management skills. Interviewed by 3 panellists.

Interview Questions

• Why do you like teaching?
      How would you arouse interest in your students?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted via phone then email to arrange for interview date. Had about 4 days to prepare a 5 minute presentation for the subject offered. Also informed that we had to write an essay on the spot before the presentation and actual interview. Don't overthink the 5 minute presentation. The panelists wlll act as the school children for the age group you've specified for your presentation. They want to test your classroom management skills more than content.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a teacher?
      Are you aware of the challenges faced as a teacher?   Answer Question

General Education Officer (Untrained) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore in April 2015.

Interview

Received call after the application window closed. Interview scheduled on the next week upon receiving call. Had to write an essay to answer a question (For mine, it was basically to see if I have the right moral values) before the interview. Present 5 minutes of lesson before the panel starts with the interview.