Ministry of Education Singapore School Counsellor (Untrained) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Ministry of Education Singapore

4.0

School Counsellor Untrained Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

Overall an unpleasant interview experience. Interviewers were condescending and used a tone of voice more appropriate for lecturing a student rather than interviewing a job applicant. They were not interested in listening fully to answers given to their questions, but rather were more keen on interrupting and attacking your responses. I tried to elaborate on my volunteering experiences which were relevant for this job (as stated in their job requirements), but was constantly dismissed as being "just volunteering".

At one point in the interview, they commented (in response to one of my answers) that the stressors students face are nothing compared to that experienced in the working world. Granted, it is a common view shared by many, but it was still disappointing to hear such comments in an interview specifically meant for hiring school counsellors. The way they downplay stressors that students encounter contributes to the stigma that students who require/seek counselling are therefore weak and unable to deal with "minor" problems.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are suitable to be a school counsellor?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ministry of Education Singapore

School Counsellor (Untrained) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore.

Interview

It went relatively well. It was longer than expected, some applicants exiting within 15 minutes, whilst a few others, myself included, lasting 30 minutes. 3 interviewers took turns asking questions. I did not experience negative remarks like others have commented such as "joining because of free training" etc. Rather, questions were based on your past experiences and hypothetical scenarios. They also seemed keen on qualification and generally your experience.

School Counsellor (Untrained) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Education Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

It was an unpleasant, humiliating, intimidating and condescending session.

3 personnels in the interview room, of which one of them is HR and won’t ask any questions.

Be prepared for all your answers and replies to be shot down by interviewers even though interviewers obviously know we are untrained at this point.

Not sure if it is their deliberate act to challenge your thinking openly so as to observe your response to their criticisms.

After the interview, I felt degraded and beginning to think that School Counsellor is not my cup of tea....

Interview Questions

• It is emotionally draining to be a counsellor, how are you going to cope with this kind of stress?   1 Answer
    • Site an example which you have helped in a difficult situation with a student   1 Answer
    • Why are you keen to be a counsellor?   1 Answer