Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore Foreign Service Officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 21, 2016

4.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2016.

Interview

3 rounds in total. Got to Round 2. First round consists of essay, psychometric tests, roundtable discussion. Round 2 was very challenging, consists of duties that pertains to the work of a Foreign Service Officer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tanglin Hill (Singapore)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore (Tanglin Hill (Singapore)).

Interview

Hiring process consist of three rounds.

Round 1: consist of a writing(editing) test, a analytical test which involves reading a passage and answering true and false and thirdly a essay.

There will also be a round table discussion with other applications on current affairs issues. First person to initiate the topic has the advantage of selecting the topic. Topic discussed. Singapore's position on the dispute in the South China Sea

Foreign Service Officers Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore.

Interview

1st Round of FSO Interview:
    Basically there is no direct interview but sort of a group interview.
    During the session, they will introduce you to the job, the possible career path, writing test, essay, grammar/vocab test, and a 'current affairs' discussion within the interviewees (the topic to be set by the interviewees)

Interview Questions

• The current affair question for my interview was: How would Trump presidency affect Singapore/SG-US relationship?   Answer Question

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore in June 2016.

Interview

Went through written assessment and assessment centre. Both rounds were very tough, and the tasks that candidates had to complete were quite difficult and intimidating. For the assessment centre, it took the whole day so it was physically and mentally draining.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore.

Interview

First Stage was a series of tests (4-5 hours), including a roundtable discussion, text editing, a comprehension passage (true-false questions), and an essay question to which the candidate writes and justifies his stance on a statement given (discussion question). Following the day assessment was a take-home online assessment (1 hour), to be done within a week.

Interview Questions

• The first stage is actually more of an assessment than an interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2016.

Interview

The first round of interview is a whole day event, and it would be more appropriate to describe it as a psychometric test than an interview.

1) An English editing test. I felt it was easy although i ran out of time. You should have no problem if English is your first language.

2) An essay related to social media

3) A roundtable discussion by all the applicants on that day, on which the topic is decided by the first speaker. Hence, to gain an advantage one should speak first. Take note that this is a discussion on current affairs, hence political science majors have a huge advantage.

4) The actual psychometric test. Personality, data/graphs reading/understanding, IQ test involving shapes.

If you make it through this first round and get shortlisted, stage 2 is an assessment centre on another day. 3rd stage would be the actual interview.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview question, but during the roundtable discussion they will note who actually speaks. Hence if you didn't say anything i think your chances are automatically nil.   Answer Question

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Interview

Round 1 was a day of written tests followed by a roundtable discussion. Round 2 was the assessment centre, a full day of exercises which simulate the work of a foreign service officer.

Foreign Service Officer () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process started off with a presentation about MFA's operations and functions, followed by a round-table discussion, a spelling-and-grammar editing test and finally, an analysis test. The editing test was a bit tricky as candidates were told to correct about 80 errors in total and the time given was only an hour. The analysis test was moderately tough and it required candidates to possess strong analytic and reasoning skills to tackle 40 true-or-false questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2015.

Interview

First round of assessment lasted from morning to afternoon.

The assessment started with a test where we were required to list out all kinds of grammatical errors in the given document. Marks will be deducted if you spotted an incorrect error hence I would recommend to only make corrections only when you are sure of the answer. Otherwise just leave it alone if you are unsure for no marks will be penalised if you didn't make any corrections.

There were a series of psychometric tests and an essay assessment. The group discussion took place during the end of the assessment, where we were to discuss one current issue taking place in Singapore and oversea each. My group however only managed to discuss on one global issue due to time limitations.

There is also an information session where a foreign service officer will brief you on the details of the job. If you do have any questions regarding the nature of the job, its salary, overseas posting and the various responsibilities while being based in Singapore HQ or overseas, this will be a good time to solve your queries.

Interview Questions

• Group Discussion Topic: AIIB (Asian Infrastructure Investement Bank)   Answer Question

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Interview

The entire process will take about 2-3 months. Not for those looking to secure a job quickly. My first round was on 25 Nov 2014 and my second round will be on 8 Jan 2015. Notice the huge time lapse? The first round occurs only after your online application has been successful, so put in effort doing it up. Like many others who have pointed out, the path to the building is long and uphill, especially if you're not driving, so give yourselves some buffer time to commute. However, once you are employed, you get to use the employees' (sheltered) footpath connecting from Botanic Gardens or the bus shuttle service from a few other SMRT stations so it becomes more convenient that way.

Round 1: An introductory video on the career as an FSO with MFA, a series of psychometric tests, and a round-table discussion on a recent internal and/or international conflict with a HR personnel. The entire process took about 7 hours (9.45am - 5pm) for my group, inclusive of a 40 min lunch break and a few short breaks in between. I personally found it to be really taxing on the mind and body. The tests require you to work really fast, think on your feet, and be completely focused - time is not on your side. Those who have the tendency to over-analyse (like myself) will not be able to finish on time; sometimes the best answer is the one that you arrive at first. Every test is different from the last one, testing your abilities to analyse and make sound conclusions in different ways. Can be very tricky and 'twisty' with the wording, so be careful. Dwell too long on any one question and you become 'trapped,' which was what happened to me and I even missed out an entire section of 20 questions due to such poor time management. By the way, you keep your own time; there are no cues or a clock to help you. Everything is written in pencil. Here is what I can recall:

1) Written skill (editing) test - For those who think you have your grammar, punctuation and vocabulary down pat, have your reservations about this one. This deceptively simple test consists of a 3-4 page long article requiring your editing. There are about 80 errors hidden in there for you to try and sieve out and provide corrections/suggestions for, which I found to be, surprisingly, quite tough and hence could not finish on time. Calling out on 'errors' that are actually correct or providing wrong corrections will reduce points, so "attack" only when you are certain.

2) Essay test - 30 min. 'Evaluate social media as a tool for government outreach in today's context.'

3) Comprehension test - An article will be given and you are asked to answer a series of True/False questions. The second section requires you to answer them with application to the Singapore context based on the opinions of the author. Note: Every question IS definitely either true or false, however, if you are unsure there is a third option which I think is 'Don't wish to answer.' This is to safeguard your score, as any wrong answer will reduce points. Said option will not make you gain or lose points.

4) Verbal reasoning (analysis) test - 40 min. Perhaps the hardest one of all. A series of statements will be made for you to deduce whether a logical conclusion is possible. They are permutations of 'If a = b, and b = c, that means a = c' but much, much harder, with some even requiring you to read a short passage first. The tricky part comes with the wording and how statements are made in a roundabout manner to confuse you. You need to work really fast here. I remember only 1 person in my group of 6 managed to complete on time. 80 questions in total.

5) Personal values test - No time limit. 'Please share with us your values and how they are observed through your work.' You can use the gaps and breaks in between tests to finish this, as I did.

6) Situational judgement test - No time limit. A few scenarios will be presented for you to judge on a scale of 1 - 6 how appropriate the actions taken are. About 20 questions in total.

7) Round-table discussion session - One round of introductions to state your name, where you graduated from, your major, your interest(s) and why you want to be an FSO. After that, the HR personnel present will ask the group to initiate a topic of discussion, be it a local or international affair. Your responses, the way you speak and present yourself will be observed accordingly so be more forthcoming in this session. It would be advantageous to be the one initiating, so you can choose a topic you are familiar with and stand out at the same time. Discussions need not be singular, they should be organic and branch from the main topic to be engaging. For my group, there were 2 main topics raised, one domestic and one foreign.

Round 2: Yet to attend but from the notice, the duration will be even longer than the first round. Most probably a one-day thing. Assessment Centre (simulation of scenarios) round.

Interview Questions

• What is your take on the relatively recent South China Sea dispute?   Answer Question