Ministry of Justice UK Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Ministry of Justice UK Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.9

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (Darlington, North East England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

A manager and a senior administration officer were the panel. They asked me to describe the five competencies I used on my application form. Then there was time for me to ask questions. They were friendly and encouraging taking notes but also keeping eye contact, quite relaxed. They obviously wanted to get the best out of me instead of the sometimes used staring technique!

Court Usher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (Peterborough, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Usual Civil Service competency based questions, I was interviewed by a panel of three, two ladies and one man.

The trouble with the Civil Service is there are competency based questions to answer online when you apply then more rigorous competency based questions to answer at interview. These questions do not always allow a candidate to demonstrate their strengths and skills because they are looking for specific answers and key words in your responses. In fact competency interviews are a farce, a box ticking exercise and ultimately lead to some useless people being employed, look in your local courts or job centres, you'll see what I mean.

No matter, the interviewers, were, as ever in government departments senior staff, institutionalised and they have a preconceived idea of who they would like to employ, so if it's not you, you're dead in the first five seconds.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK.

Interview

Questions based on competencies displayed on the job description, so you are able to prepare well for this. The interviewers were both nice, they probed into questions and would question me on certain things, but if you are confident or just say you are not sure about something then it works out okay.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

After application online and completing an online test I was invited to a selection event. The whole process was communicated very effectively throughout. The interview was held by a panel. Asked 4 competency questions based on the competencies outlined in the job spec.Given time at the end to ask my own questions.Panel were very good at making you feel relaxed and it's clear they want you to do well. Use STAR ,practice your answers and ensure your examples are strong to make the most of your opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Can you please describe a time when you were faced with a difficult decision ?   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Interview

I applied for a job and was sent an email asking me to take some completed forms. The forms were not attached to the e-mail. I requested them two weeks ago, and again a week ago and still have not received them. Such an abismal service.

Policy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Quite a long process. Was a national campaign looking for 30+ people so it took time to organise everything. Needed to complete online questions beforehand and to complete an exercise before the interview. The first part of the interview focused on the exercise. I was asked questions about why I chose the answers I did. I had to present an argument and make a recommendation.

Interview Questions

• Questions were competency based and they let you know the areas they are interested in hearing from you about. Typical ones focused on giving a real life example of how you plan and prioritise, when you have worked in a team and when you have had to make a decision.   Answer Question

Usher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Basildon, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (Basildon, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Short compentency based interview, no questions about specific experience or qualifications. The interviewers requested a lot of detail, for example, after I had described the outcome of each question they probed further and asked about wider implications etc. Interviewers were not that approachable or friendly, so I had assumed I wouldn't be offered the position because I left with the feeling they were not that interested in what I had to say. Given the outcome, don't let this put you off or influence your answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you've had to make a difficult decision. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a telephone interview, The interviewer was really friendly and encouraging. When questions were not answered directly, the question was reiterated. The importance is to answer the questions in the STAR format, to emphasise your competencies.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I am a contractor so the interview was very informal. It took place in the atrium of the main Ministry of Justice building, in Petty France, central London. I was asked some questions about the organisation and its origins, then specific skill-related questions for the post. Note that the process for full-time civil servants would be completely different and involves horrible things like responding to meaningless 'competencies'

Change Portfolio Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ministry of Justice UK (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It took about 5 weeks for them to finally review application. And there was never any job spec, throughout the process. Unbelievable really - how can they know what they're looking for?
    Then, the day before the interview, they cancelled the interview without any reason given.
    Poor really.
    Not an encouraging insight into them as an organisation.