Minnesota Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.7

Transportation Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

None. I started as a Research Analyst, then I was reclassified as a Transportation Programs Specialist. The interview for the Research Analyst was involved an engineer supervisor from each office section and the deputy director in a panel group. At that time, each person asked an unscripted question. Nowadays, candidates are given a preview of all questions asked, an organization chart, and the related job description to review before the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation.

Interview

The whole interview process is pretty quick, but the application process can get pretty lengthy. There needs to be job openings in order to apply, after applying they'll call and set up a date and time. Then you'll sit down with at least 3 interviewers at one time, they may have a couple of other interviewees sit with you as well and it's first to speak and so forth.

Transportation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arden Hills, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Arden Hills, MN) in March 2016.

Interview

The hiring process itself is three months long. Have to take an National Test which is very lengthy in time. Up to three hours. HR comstantly contacts you to check on yoir interest in the position and the of where you are at with application. They very pleasant though. Not pesty.

Paraprofessional Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Saint Paul, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process is standard. You can find those questions online. You get 15 min. to review the questions before you walk into a meeting room to be interviewed. They asked for your former experience and if you know Excel and Access.

Transportation Generalist Senior Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baxter, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Baxter, MN).

Interview

They ask for a lot of examples of how you've handled situations. I can't remember a whole lot because it was 12 years ago. They will usually have someone from HR, an Engineer(or lead person) from the department that you are applying for and then a couple other random people.

Interview Questions

• What's one time that you weren't as efficient as what you could have been?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't one. Everything is pretty much written in stone according to their union.

Student Worker Para Professional Senior Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Roseville, MN) in May 2012.

Interview

Received a phone call to come in for an INTERVIEW.
    They brought me in to interview with 3 people. They handed me a list of questions that they would be asking before the interview.

The next communication was via EMAIL requesting references and specific paperwork for a background check. It took about 1 1/2 to 2 months from phone call to start date.

Interview Questions

• They mainly want to know what classes you have taken that are relevant. MicroStation is a must for MnDOT. They would like to know the experience you have on any different projects. Visual aids and printed copies of your projects done in AutoCAD and MicroStation are very useful.

There weren't any really unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no real negotiations for an Intern.

Engineering Internship - Surveying Interview

Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Duluth, MN) in April 2012.

Interview

there was a group interview - about 8 engineers, 1 HR woman, and 3 applicants all in the same room.

Interview Questions

• all of the questions they were going to ask were given to us before the interview so there was nothing unexpected asked which was nice   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Rochester, MN) in April 2011.

Interview

This internship program is for kids who are in between freshman and juniors in college who are mostly in the civil or mechanical engineering field. They asked some pretty basic questions. If I remember correctly it was not all that tough, but it was a few years ago. Both the initial interview and the second interview were over the phone and then we were called in 2 weeks before we started to get pictures taken and paperwork filled out.

Interview Questions

• Do you have problems being out in the sun on a daily basis?   1 Answer

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Minnesota Department of Transportation (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2011.

Interview

Panel interview with 3 people asking questions but they allowed me to review the questions beforehand. I got the interview questions about 20 minutes before the interview. The questions asked a lot of "what have you done" "what would you do" questions.