Mitchell International Interview Questions in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 30, 2017

2.9

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

BE AWARE!
    As of February 15, 2017 - This company announced in the Wall Street Journal that it is "exploring" a sale. This will be the third sale of the company since 2007.

Very standard process of incremental screens. Phone screens from HR lead to Skype calls with department leadership, HR Screen, co-workers (one was actually a subcontractor I later discovered). Everything lead to an offer, which was verbally presented to me by the HR Representative. The benefits were acceptable, but not great. For example, 401k matching is rather weak - .50/1.00 up to 6% vested at 25% per year. Healthcare benefits were pretty standard. The apparent company policy is that candidates must fully disclose and PROVE income (starting and ending) at every job listed on your resume. They asked for the offer letter from my current employer, most recent paycheck, 1099's from my freelance work etc. All this without presenting their offer in writing. Totally unprofessional, good bye.

In summary. Be very cautious with this company. They expect hires to provide proof of income for all jobs listed start and finish. And they are up for sale for the fourth time since 2000.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge at your current position and how you worked through it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had three (2 30 min and 1 15 min) interviews with the HR and two recruiters on the same day. The HR answered doubts regarding the position, one recruiter asked behavioral questions and also Object oriented programming paradigms, the other recruiter reviewed the coding challenge I had submitted earlier

Interview Questions

• They asked questions on the previous coding challenge, persistence in Java, OOP, behavioral questions   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer (Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First was a phone call from the recruiter describing the position and scheduled the first technical phone interview with a software engineer. Went well. Following that was an onsite interview with the entire team consisting of five members, three of which were remote via Skype. Most of the interviews were behavioral except for the second which was technical in depth. The last interview was with the hiring manager. Received a call but no offer, but the recruiter was willing to give positive feedback.

Interview Questions

• Explain the different REST operations (GET,PUT,POST, DELETE) and explain 'idempotency'.   Answer Question
    • Questions regarding JPA: annotations, structure and operation.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had to design an application and then went in a talked to a recruiter and two engineers to discuss the application. Overall, interviews went mostly well but application apparently wasn't good enough

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

1. Applied on their website after seeing a post on LinkedIn.
    2. Received a call from an internal recruiter (Friday, week 1).
    3. Recruiter called back later the same day to setup an onsite with the hiring manager the following week.
    4. Had an excellent 1 hour onsite interview with the hiring manager (Monday, week 2).
    5. Received a call from the recruiter Monday afternoon saying they wanted to setup a panel interview for a couple of hours on Friday of the same week.
    6. Two hour onsite panel interview went very well. I met with three people and liked them all. So far Mitchell seemed like an excellent fit all around.
    7. Received a call from the recruiter the same evening saying it went well and feeling me out on various offer scenarios.
    8. (Monday, week 3) Received another call from the recruiter to discuss more offer scenarios. We continued to negotiate on Tuesday.
    9. Then I received a call from him saying that there was a test I was supposed to have completed earlier in the process. A "skills assessment test" which was part deductive reasoning and behavioral/personality questions. This is where things started to go sideways. I hate these sorts of tests, but agreed to take it anyway (after all, the position sounded interesting and like a good fit). As expected it was basically a personality test with really hard timed deductive reasoning questions.
    10. A couple hours later, the recruiter contacted me to let me know I'd passed the test. All that remained was to pass the "background check." It turns out that at Mitchell the "background check" doesn't just cover criminal history, but also employment and salary verification.
    11. A few days later (week 3 still) I receive another call from the recruiter saying that, as requested, they had not contacted my current employer, but would need to verify my employment. I submitted a screenshot of the HR website showing my hire date and my title.
    12. He called on Tuesday of the next week (week 4) to say that the screenshot I submitted was sufficient to verify my employment, but that they'd also need to verify my salary via paystub or W2 (this requirement, to me, is ridiculous). It turns out that what they want you to put into the online application you fill out (as the process moves along) is your actual base salary. I'd entered an approximation of my overall compensation package. So I provided him with how that number broke out and he said he'd get back to me.
    13. Two days later, on Thursday (week 4), he called me and told me that they'd need documentation supporting the number listed on my application or would have to report to the hiring manager that I had failed to pass my background check. I laughed and said that we'd obviously need to part ways then since I wasn't going to forge a fake paystub just to meet some arbitrary requirement. Clearly it would be possible to update the application with whatever number they wanted to go on it, they just didn't care enough to do so.

All in all, I was very happy with my interactions with the actual people I would have been working with. They seemed like warm, intelligent, good people. The work also seemed interesting. I'm rating Mitchell negatively because of the HR side of their hiring practices. The need to provide salary verification is absolutely unnecessary--it doesn't benefit the candidate, only Mitchell. Obviously, if I requested to see exit interviews of previous data scientists, or to see pay stubs of current employees, they would request my request. So I'm astonished that they don't see how hypocritical it is to request pay stubs and salary verification from candidates. Let's be clear: most of my family and friends don't even tell other family members or friends about their compensation (salary, etc.), so I find it amazing that Mitchell expects this data to be shared with them.

So at the end of the day, I'm very disappointed in HR side of Mitchell, though I can't help feeling like I may have dogged a bullet here. In order to improve their hiring practices they need to stop doing two things: 1) requiring candidates to take a personality test (the so called "skill assessment" is anything but), and 2) requiring salary verification. Almost no one does either of #1 or #2, and for good reason. They're not necessary or helpful in finding and hiring quality candidates.

I appreciate the opportunity to interview with the excellent individuals I did, but I cannot recommend Mitchell to other job seekers until they alter their hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• Can you share with me a situation in which you failed, and how you responded to your failure? (not verbatim, just as best I can remember)   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Level 3-4-5 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

First round speak with a technical engineer to pass through the phone screen on following question:
    REST and web service
    testing and mockup
    multiple threads
    SOLID principles

Second round speak with the hr to discuss with the salary and benefits.

Interview Questions

• REST and web service
      testing and mockup
      multiple threads
      SOLID principles
      Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

First round was a phone call with a software engineer, then they sent me a coding challenge to create a restful web service. Then a panel interview and an interview with a member of the leadership team back to back.

The role was supposed to be for a level-1 engineer, but the bulk of the questions in the interview concentrated on dependency injection, which is not something a new grad fresh out of school will know, in my opinion. Not complaining since they have the right to expect whatever experience they want from their candidates, but if you're a new grad like me, please DO NOT waste time on the coding challenge and move straight on to other companies.

Also, one of the interviewers was downright rude in the interview. No idea what that was about. He kept cutting me off mid-sentence with rude and unnecessary comments. Maybe they want to create a culture where you're expected to fear your superiors.

Positives: The panel interviewers were very friendly, even though I was clearly struggling. Again, impossible to handle if you haven't worked for 1-2 years at a software company.

Wish I'd paid heed to the most recent review that had also blasted the interview process. Could have saved a lot of time and effort.

Interview Questions

• Change your code to decouple your controller and dao.   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process took three rounds, and was a lot of work. Not difficult, but just time consuming, especially when you are balancing other job interviews and a full time job.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage multiple deadlines that are clustered together.   1 Answer

Product Manager II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

First came an HR phone screen. Afterwards, I had to take a series of online tests, one part with timed logic/analytical questions, altogether taking about an hour. Then came a 1 hour meet and greet with the hiring manager (I asked most of the questions.) Final round was six 1:1 interviews with directors and VPs from various departments followed by a 1 hour case study presentation with all six present (case study question was sent out a few days beforehand.) Overall a difficult and more involved interview process.

Interview Questions

• What improvements would you make to X product? What is your plan to take said improvement to market?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with other teams with different priorities than yours. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation began with HR screen, their "budget" was unable to meet my requirement but I continued with the interview process. Their initial offer matched what I required, and I further negotiated a sign on bonus.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mitchell International (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Simple and very basic. They asked about leadership principles and management aspect. Interview went on for the whole day. There were 8 rounds + 1 at lunch.