Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2017

2.8

Temporary Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

First, an admin comes in to tell you about their application form. You fill it out regardless of whether or not you get hired, so yes, it's a time consuming procedural thing that has no meaning (meaning, don't put down your social). They were very strict to have everything filled out.
    It was an mostly a grilling interview with the main HR. If you pass the HR, you are welcomed to a group interview of your department and see if they like you (they get the final say on this).
    I've spent 25 mins with the HR, and 5 minutes with the group.
    I must say, this was the most STRICT interview I've ever had.

One special note I must mention. An interview question of theirs was to ask if I was punctual. Their whole company, from the moment I arrived, felt extremely formal and always wanted things to be "on time". Unfortunately, they themselves do not reflect punctuality. Be prepared for some long gaps of time waiting for the process to start.

Interview Questions

• When I interview, I always make sure to write down the questions I was asked, and a quick note on how I answered them (and notice their reactions).
      1) Tell me about your past experience, as if you’re explaining it to your grandmother.
      2) This is a temporary role. Why do you want it?
      3) How are your excel skills?
      4) What do you do for fun?
      5) What makes you different from other candidates? How do you do with team mates?
      6) Are you punctual?
      7) How are your excel skills?
      8) If you notice something strange, when do you bring it up?
      1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group.

Interview

This was hands down the WORST interview process I have ever went through. I had an initial phone screen with recruiter who called three hours early because they couldn't tell time between time zones. After the phone screen, the recruiter set up an interview but failed to send a confirmation with stated time so that I could block out requested time and date. I had to follow up with the recruiter three times before they sent me a confirmation on the day of the interview.
    This here is by far the worst part of the process. At the scheduled time of the interview I NEVER got a call. I called the recruiter to see what was going on and received no answer, it was only several hours later that I received an email reply that the hiring manager had conflict in schedule. I never got a response to reschedule. If the recruiting process is any indication of how this company runs than I'm glad not to be apart of it.

Associate Interview

Interview

Applied online normally. 1st round phone interview with HR. 2nd round 1 on 1 interviews with senior management and boss. Fingerprinting, no drug test, whole process took about 5-6 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Presented 1 counteroffer where we met in the middle.

Controller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in January 2015.

Interview

Standard question and response. Talked about the details of the quarterly close process, monthly reporting, and other deliverables. Interviewed with the managing director and senior fund controller. Many contributions and distributions from the partnership and cash movement in the different structure.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have related to private equity?   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in November 2015.

Interview

I was quickly contacted via phone after i submitted my resume. The follow up phone interview was rescheduled several times over days, some days I was not even notified. The recruiter I was working with owed no apology whatsoever for the rescheduling. The recruiters leave the candidate hanging with no feedback or update- extremely unprofessional. This speaks volume - imagine working with people with big egos and who care less about communicating. I till date don't know if I was selected or not- so am assuming I wasn't. Lucky me!

Trading SummerLondon Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

online application - numerical and verbal test - first round telephone interview - final assessment day

The online application is easy and no long answer questions, a good question is what's your favourite quote which is quite clever
    Numerical and Verbal tests are standard SHL tests which is very easy if you did a lot of them before hand.
    First round interview is very simple and the HR woman was nice, couple of competencies about your university and course etc and some very simple technical knowledge definition testing (options and market risks) and some simple maths questions (what is square root of 17,000?)

Assessment day involved a presentation, networking bingo, group challenge, networking lunch and a panel interview which are all very relaxing and interesting

CIB Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group.

Interview

I had an on campus interview and went in for Superday. All questions were very straightforward. I got a call three weeks later saying I didn't get the position. I kept in contact with the recruiting team and they said I would hear back by the end of each week. Three weeks later I get a call saying I didn't get the position. They seemed very unorganized.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you displayed leadership qualities.   Answer Question

Institutional Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview process for Mitsubishi UFJ Trust international (MUTI). Event-based. A short simple game was played to assess candidates on their suitability for the firm. Staff present were very warm and welcoming.

The same cannot be said for the CEO, Ray Winters, who was disrespectful and condescending.

Interview Questions

• Which item is more important? (Game played)   1 Answer

Felt bad for some of the candidates who tried to present their answers to the CEO during the game. They got shut down and scoffed at for their answers and response. This does not reflect well on firm's culture. Grateful for the chance to understand the firm better but will be accepting offer from another financial institution instead.

Cybersecurity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

They first called me for a brief 15 min initial phone screening. It was just a base test behavioral questions, by the HR. Then she scheduled me for a phone interview with the hiring manager. He called and asked for about 30 minutes straight on questions pertaining to my resume and course work and whether I did anything in database systems. They said that I was going to be called for the final interview at their office , which was a technical+behavioral interview. But i never received the mail . 3 weeks later, when i asked them about the results, the HR said she was unable to provide me the position because of my citizen status. Why select me for the 2nd round when i dont meet the qualifications? She said they found the candidate suitable for their position by referral program! -_-

Interview Questions

• Resume questions-technical of some sort   1 Answer

Intern (Derivatives Trading/Structuring) Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (City of London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Mitsubishi UFJ Securities International (subsidiary of MUFG) were quick to respond to my application, sending me online tests after a couple of days (I applied at turn of year). After passing these, I had a phone interview 1-2 weeks after. The interview was very well balanced; a good 30-45 minutes to genuinely get to know you. Questions ranged from "why our institution", "why you", just a couple of competencies, one work-based comptetency, a couple of reasonable maths questions, a couple of reasonable economics questions ("what are two way that a bank raises capital", "explain what you know by the term QE" so nothing needing an economics degree), and a chance to ask questions. The assessment centre was around two weeks later, and like the phone interview held special emphasis on personality. In the morning was an investment game, in the afternoon a 1-1 interview. My experience of the people was that they were friendly, and the atmosphere outside of the interview group was still fairly friendly and relaxed. A few days after the assessment centre, I received a call asking me to come in for a final interview with the business area leaders who were interested in me. I had two interviews the day after and only an hour after I got home I got a call with an offer. My general experience was of a friendly HR team and friendly set of bankers. Successful applicants probably always have a positive bias, but for sure I felt their attitude at interview allowed me to come into my own.

Interview Questions

• Describe what happened to cause the financial crisis, in a couple of minutes, as if you were telling it, to say, your grandmother.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Internships aren't particularly negotiable - this was my first offer so I just took it.