ModCloth Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.8

Director of Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ModCloth (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Good process, well organized. Thorough questions; everyone in the process had a clear role in terms of the types of questions asked. There was an emphasis on cultural fit, understanding of the business, and management ability. Not so much on technical skills. People were friendly and open. Company was struggling, though.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview question: how would I evaluate the possibility of physical retail stores?   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ModCloth (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Call with recruiter one day, another day.. call with manager, then a full afternoon of interviewing on a separate day- met with about 5 people from 2-6pm- no breaks with a math test that I was given 20 mins to do with about 5 problems and a full SWOT analysis and more questions.
    I ended up doing poorly on the test due to timing and nerves.
    They had little regard that I was there all afternoon with barely any water being questioned in warm rooms 4 hours. Also seemed at the end the manager was just questioning how my old company did things because they are such a mess and are trying to know what others do.

I would not recommend interviewing here based on the personalities I met and what is happening with company.

Warehouse Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ModCloth (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

I interviewed as a group with about 5 other people and the main recruiter. After she informed us that we weren't going to be receiving any benefits or possibly could in 6 months I lost a little respect for the company, especially since they list that as one of the bonuses of working there. They told me I would be a better fit for a Customer Service position upstairs where I would work very odd night hours. They seemed a little desperate for employees and were eager to fill these positions. She told us that we would be meeting with someone else after the interview but then apparently had amnesia and 5 minutes later told us that we would be contacted later to come in again. Overall, I got a weird vibe from this interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about ModCloth? Do you know anyone that works at ModCloth? What are your goals concerning your career?   Answer Question

Accounting Position Interview

Interview

I have seen the same accounting position advertised several times online. They are now listing it for the third time. I applied to the positions twice because the first posting I never heard anything such as a rejection. The second time I was contacted and had a phone screening set up.

The phone screen was totally one sided and was just to ask me questions of my background. I reached back out to Modcloth a few days later and heard nothing. Then two weeks after the screening I get a system generated rejection even though I have prior work experience to fill the position.

It seems ModCloth is struggling to know what they want in an employee as what they post in a job ad is not what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions was ask as the screening just focused on my prior work.   Answer Question

Assistant Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at ModCloth (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

At the time I was living out of state, and I flew down at my own expense for an interview in August 2014 for an internship position. The interview was 3 hours long and consisted of meeting with four different people asking the same questions. I did not get an offer. I was contacted by a recruiter for an assistant technical design position in October 2014. I went to the interview which lasted 2 hours. Later in the week I got a call from the recruiter saying that they wanted me for the job, but that they had to hold all new hires. She said that the new budget would be out after the new year, and she would keep in touch. I was the one to contact the recruiter in January, and she had no news. Every month I would follow up, and there would be no news. In July 2015, the position was posted online for a technical Designer. I emailed the recruiter to inquire about the position, saying I was still interested. She replied with little information, and I emailed again twice but got no reply. I emailed a third time, and was informed they promoted from within.

Customer Care Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ModCloth (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

HR will give you a quick phone call asking you to come in for an in-person interview. It's a group interview conducted by two of the Customer Care Leads. They ask basic interview questions, and then take everyone one-on-one to interview with other Customer Care Advocates that have been working there for a while.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you went above and beyond to help a customer   Answer Question

Intake Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crafton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ModCloth (Crafton, PA).

Interview

Group interview of 8 people took place, with whom was seemingly an inexperienced HR recruiter. They asked some typical questions, and some off-hand. As long as you spoke up, she showed interest in you.

Customer Care Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ModCloth.

Interview

I heard back after submitting my application within about a week, to come in for an interview. I was told to bring a copy of my resume and dress comfortably, no need to be formal. When I arrived for the interview though, I found out that it was a group interview, with about 7 other people. It went well, but throughout the process I found it to be very impersonal, as I felt my answers had to compete with the other interviewees, and it was just overall really uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions. It was mostly just an unexpected method for hiring to be in a room with 8 other people trying for the same position. The question would be asked, then we'd go in a circle answering.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Attempted to negotiate pay, which was not taken into consideration, as this was supposedly the starting rate for the position. This, I found out to be false upon starting.

Model Interview

Interview

I had asked the human resources employees to get back to me promptly but they ignored my inquiries and led me to believe that they actually cared about whether or not I had got a spot within the lineup.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ModCloth (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

There was an all day interview process which seemed very traditional. Typical software development and Ruby questions were asked. I didn't feel like I was really grilled on the intricacies of the languages, which was nice because those types of questions aren't really needed. There was a pair programming sessions at the end of the day that felt pretty rushed.

Interview Questions

• What would an ideal day at work be like for you? What about a very unideal day?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation phase seemed somewhat broken. They didn't ask my salary requirements, but presented me with an offer that was lower than I expected.