Moda Operandi Leadership Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Moda Operandi Leadership Interview Questions

Interviews at Moda Operandi

1 Interview Review

Leadership Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moda Operandi.

Interview

Summary:
Phone screen followed by an onsite interview. Process seemed unorganized and interviewers seemed uninterested. Interview focus didn't seem geared for experienced leaders (Class structure "coding" exercise for executive level who will not be coding?). My interview was cut short because they had to catch a flight; everything was rushed. Finally, no feedback was provided despite the HR representative indicating it would be given quickly.

Details:
I was contacted through a partner recruiting firm. I had an initial phone screen with them before being presented to one of the VPs of engineering. This was then followed up with a fairly high level phone screen with the same VP to discuss current role/responsibilities, what I am looking for in the next phase of my career, etc. Almost all of the questions revolved around team, culture, plans for the future, leadership style, etc. Overall, it was a good conversation and helped keep me interested in Moda.

The onsite interview is where things took a turn for the worst. They are doing quite a bit of hiring, so the process was very assembly-line like with multiple interviews going on at the same time.

The first interview with a VP of engineering concentrated on culture/leadership style. Questions were fairly standard for this type of role. No big gotchas. I did notice the interviewer was either tired or uninterested as they showed little to no excitement or enthusiasm. No attempts were made to sell me on the company. It was almost entirely focused on finding out why they should hire me.

The second interview turned out to be a pseudo coding exercise on the whiteboard with another VP of engineering. I am not sure this made sense given this position would not be hands-on coding or in the code much at all. Sure, you need to check to see that the candidate has a clue about what they are talking about and can gain the respect of the engineers, but I am not sure what this exercise was trying to dig out. Again, I felt like there wasn't much interest in selling me on the position or the company. It was entirely to make a case for hiring me.

Third interview was with the chief product officer, who at this time leads both engineering and product. Questions were centered more on culture, vision, past experience, etc. All very high level. What was troubling was that this interviewer again seemed uninterested. He yawned the full hour, caught him checking his watch a few times, and he answered my questions with as little effort as possible.

The final interview concentrated on architectural design. A new hire (maybe a day or two at Moda) threw up a basic set of services and asked how you would solve some functionality requirements. For the final requirement, he mentioned not using something already implemented. To me, that seemed like the way I would have actually engineered the solution based on the requirements given, but came away stumped when I was told I couldn't use it. When I finally stated that I'd still implement it that way, the interviewer said, "so would I". Why tell me I can't do something and then agree with me that it's probably the way to go given what is known about the problem statement. Finally, the interview was cut 30 mins short, so I really couldn't ask any questions. Again - total attention on me and minimal sell on the company/role.

At the end of all of this, no one ever provided any feedback. Neither the recruiter nor Moda itself.

I was really excited about this company going into the interview. It sounded like it was a great opportunity. During and immediately after the on-site, my enthusiasm plummeted.

Interview Questions