Moderna Therapeutics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Moderna Therapeutics

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in January 2019.

Interview

BEST INTERVIEW PROCESS EVER... After reading the reviews on Glassdoor, I was reluctant about how the process was going to be. But, I was pleasantly surprised by the changes they have made over the past several months. After applying for the position, I was quickly set up to come in for a round of interviews in their Norwood location. The night of the interviews, I was informed that they wanted me to come back for another round of interviews in Cambridge. The recruiter, KC, called me to provide me feedback about the first round and provided additional insight into the interviewers I would meet for during the second round. His feedback was very helpful and I have not had this touchpoint with recruiters in the past! After the 2nd round of interviews, KC met with me at the end of that day to gain my interest level and to discuss potential next steps. Sophie was also awesome and coordinated the interviews and kept me in the loop.

Due to the time and effort they put into this process, I had a really good understanding of the role, the company, and the culture. The whole process took 7 weeks from application through offer, but Thanksgiving, Christmas, and their shutdown was also during that time. It moved very quickly.

Interview Questions

• We have a very fast paced environment at Moderna. Can you tell me about a time when you had to balance multiple priorities at one time? How did you handle shifting priorities?   Answer Question

Feb 19, 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your experience! Here at Moderna, we have been working VERY hard to upgrade our candidate experience and interview process. I am glad the efforts are making a noticeable... More

Contract Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Norwood, MA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online for several positions. After two weeks, I received an email from a third-party recruiter for Moderna requesting to speak to me on the phone. We spoke the two days later. After going over my resume and my knowledge of Moderna, he said that he would set up a phone interview with someone working in the department for the position that I appeared to be best suited for my skill set. After agreeing on a time with me, he set up the phone interview for the following Monday.

That Monday, the individual at Moderna called and interviewed me for about 25 minutes, asking standard questions. At the end of the interview, he stated that they wanted to fill the position quickly and that he would send his report on me to the recruiter.

A couple of days afterward, I emailed the recruiter to ask if I may have the Moderna employee's contact info to send a thank you email. I received no response. A week later, I emailed the recruiter to ask if I was still being considered for the position. Again, no response.

My issue here is with the recruiter and his lack of communication. After two weeks, he has gone ghost on me. Now, it may be because he is busy or he may no longer have a need for me as I am no longer being considered. Regardless, as a matter of good form, an email to me with some type of update is appropriate and respectful, even if it's to say that the interviewer thought that I was a bozo with zero to offer the company. At least that would let me know where I stand. As of now, I have no clue what is going on.

Although this experience may be strictly an issue with the recruiting agency or even this particular recruiter, it still reflects poorly on Moderna in my mind since the agency is in partnership with them.

Interview Questions

Moderna Therapeutics Response

Apr 17, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for posting about your experience. Knowing you were contacted by a third-party recruiter, I'd love to know which firm you were working with. At Moderna, we only want third-party partners... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (New York, NY).

Interview

There were two phone interviews and an onsite interview. The phone interviews were straightforward, with Q&A about my background and their needs. The onsite interview was a marathon of disorganization, full of late starts and missing interviewers. The peers who interviewed me had a very weak understanding of Moderna's competitors, but prided themselves on Moderna's war chest. My department head told me to expect a call the next day, but never contacted me and ignored my calls. They did not even pay for all of the travel costs! I am so glad I did not move to Boston and commit myself to that company!

Interview Questions

• What do you think of working the night shift? (I did not realize this was a shift-director position. Are all of my managers also on my shift? Do I get a shift differential on my bonus?)   Answer Question
    • We are a fast-moving company. What do you expect to accomplish in the first 10 days? (Really?)   Answer Question
    • Tell us how your current employer overcame (a strategic problem). (No)   Answer Question
    • What about the Boston area makes it attractive to candidates from (my state)? (Are you serious?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone call first with recruiter to go over basics e.g. background, interest and why this job, and then went to on-site for 1-on-1 meetings with 5 people including HR people for half day. Talks are more causal then expected.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to move to Moderna and what do you want to achieve?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics.

Interview

I got many relevant questions about my past experience from scientists/ senior scientists, and it was all friendly. By contrast, higher management was showing a nice mixture of ignorance and arrogance.

Manufacturing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got an email response the same day asking for availability for a phone screen. After that, the recruiter put me in touch with another recruiter who set up an onsite interview at their Cambridge location. I had five meetings, and met with 8 people in total.

Interview Questions

Moderna Therapeutics Response

Apr 3, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate the feedback. Since you interviewed, we have actually re-built the entire Talent Acquisition team. We were not providing a great candidate experience, and... More

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Boston, MA) in November 2017.

Interview

Not difficult, questions were very straightforward. They seemed to really need people for the company. A lot of what they use is enterprise software, and very little of it is programming.

G&A Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics.

Interview

They seemed eager to have me on board and didn't drag their feet in making a reasonable offer. Vibe of the office seemed very busy, which made sense - it's a growing-start-up environment. Would have been helpful to interview with my potential counterparts, not just potential managers.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

I did a phone screen with a senior scientist. The interview went really well but when I asked when I'd hear about a potential follow up interview, she said a few weeks or more. Seriously?

Interview Questions

• Typical stuff about the field. Super basic questions about how to do and validate experiments.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Boston, MA) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview can easily take 8 hours or more. Begin with a one-hour seminar on Ph.D./postdoctoral research, then talk to future colleagues on a one-on-one basis. I met with 14 people in total. hiring manager, team leader is a must, followed by the high-brass leadership.

Interview Questions

• 1. Specific scientific questions about material presented in research seminar
      2. Have you collaborated with anyone? Tell me about your collaboration experience.
      3. Have you encountered collaborations that are less than ideal? How did you handle the situation?
      4. Have you ever had scientific opinions that differ from your boss? How would you prioritize your research?   Answer Question