Moderna Therapeutics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 4, 2017

2.5

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied for a position online - contacted by HR for a different position within 2 days. Prompt replies. First round of 30mins phone interview with HR coordinator. HR mentioned that they would get back to me with an answer in a week. No news for next 10days... contacted the HR - got the reply.. oh yeah, we would like to have you on site and will send you the agenda. Again, silence persisted for another 4 days, until i contacted them again the day before to ask if i can know who am i meeting. again the same tone - oh yeah - here is the agenda! interviewed with 7 people one-on-one. hiring manager didnt look like he had any interest in working there himself, nor he showed any interest in interviewing - so overall a waste of time. I got an awful first impression being there for few hours! but didnt give up yet! gave the hiring manager a benefit of doubt - emailed asking to clarify few things about the position - no replies even after following up! turns out he went on vacation!
    one of the top management execs i met sounded very interested and assured that i will be contacted soon - 3 weeks - no response. called HR. same response tone - oh yeah, i am meeting the hiring manager, will let you know.... no response till now. Overall impression - Bad! Lackluster , and unprofessional HR personnel

Interview Questions

• few interviewers posed a "challenging" scenario and presented situations which sounded like they are having issues finding solutions for - i sensed that they were in to get free consultancy from me - and i took them for a ride as well! at this point in time i had negative interest in the company! BEWARE interviewers - you are smarter than you think! moderna doesn't have any products out yet - i definitely liked the science which was the motivation to apply for this position but i didnt want to fall in a mess of working with difficult personalities,they didnt sound motivated themselves! people work with people and thats how they progress... so it is very important for me who is in my team! definitely not moderna!! 500 employees with no approved product! Time to purge bad apples moderna! Good luck though!   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone call first with recruiter to go over basics e.g. background, interest and why this job, and then went to on-site for 1-on-1 meetings with 5 people including HR people for half day. Talks are more causal then expected.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to move to Moderna and what do you want to achieve?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone screened in two rounds then travelled for face to face interviews. Gave a presentation then team lunch, one to one interviews. Dinner with the hiring manager. Like the atmosphere and style of the company.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job?   1 Answer

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (New York, NY).

Interview

There were two phone interviews and an onsite interview. The phone interviews were straightforward, with Q&A about my background and their needs. The onsite interview was a marathon of disorganization, full of late starts and missing interviewers. The peers who interviewed me had a very weak understanding of Moderna's competitors, but prided themselves on Moderna's war chest. My department head told me to expect a call the next day, but never contacted me and ignored my calls. They did not even pay for all of the travel costs! I am so glad I did not move to Boston and commit myself to that company!

Interview Questions

• What do you think of working the night shift? (I did not realize this was a shift-director position. Are all of my managers also on my shift? Do I get a shift differential on my bonus?)   Answer Question
    • We are a fast-moving company. What do you expect to accomplish in the first 10 days? (Really?)   Answer Question
    • Tell us how your current employer overcame (a strategic problem). (No)   Answer Question
    • What about the Boston area makes it attractive to candidates from (my state)? (Are you serious?)   Answer Question

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (New York, NY).

Interview

Just phone interview, 30 mins conversation. General behavioral and technical questions. I thought it went ok. Followed up with HR after that, never heard from them again, not a word.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the opportunity?   1 Answer

Head, Molecular Biology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

There was just one phone interview scheduled the night before. The interviewer did not have a copy of my resume and asked me a general question about my background. After few minutes, he abruptly became very dismissive and rude. Completely disorganized and disrespectful. I agree with other negative comments here and I am so glad I did not advanced in the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an idea of this position? (seriously! If I would have been unfit for this role, why did they even bother to call me?)   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview where they talked about the position and asked about my relevant experience. After that, I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview process was kind of chaotic as the position I had been told I would be interviewing for was not the correct position. I could have been more prepared for it, had I known the exact role and responsibilities. The on-site interview was made up of several meetings, a few of which had to be moved around because people were not around.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult - just asking about past experience and why you want to work there and what you know about the company.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics.

Interview

I got many relevant questions about my past experience from scientists/ senior scientists, and it was all friendly. By contrast, higher management was showing a nice mixture of ignorance and arrogance.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult questions, all were rather easy   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Very disgusting

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview. Hiring manager failed to call at the appropriated time. The call was set up and rescheduled several more times because hiring manager could not make time. HR was exceptionally polite and apologetic through this process.I eventually spoke with a member of the group below the hiring manager to complete the phone screen and was invited for an on site interview. The interview lasted ~6hrs but could/should have been shorter. 1:1 sessions were scheduled for 45min each. The hiring manager met with me for 20min before giving me a brief tour and leading me to an interview room where I was left to sit until the next person arrived. Another interviewer dismissed himself a few minutes into the interview to take a phone call and returned to finish at the end of the day, leaving me to sit in a room alone for half an hour. A third interviewer attempted to gauge my interest in a different job in his own group - a lose/lose situation for the candidate (you don't want to close doors and say no thanks, but you don't want to appear opportunistic and willing to take just any job). I understand the company is going through rapid growth, and this is difficult, but after the interview process I was concerned about working at the company. I received no further feedback from the company.

Interview Questions

• Run of the mill interview questions, nothing particularly difficult.   Answer Question