Moderna Therapeutics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Moderna Therapeutics Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.5

Scientist Interview

Interview

Very disorganized and after I finished the interviews, several ones. If I don't email them I wouldn't find out that I wasn't going to get an offer. Very much disappointing.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in August 2012.

Interview

The location is nice and so was the office. Lots of Light. They interview day was pretty chaotic.

Interview Questions

I heard that a lot of their employees are not very happy there.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (New York, NY).

Interview

There were two phone interviews and an onsite interview. The phone interviews were straightforward, with Q&A about my background and their needs. The onsite interview was a marathon of disorganization, full of late starts and missing interviewers. The peers who interviewed me had a very weak understanding of Moderna's competitors, but prided themselves on Moderna's war chest. My department head told me to expect a call the next day, but never contacted me and ignored my calls. They did not even pay for all of the travel costs! I am so glad I did not move to Boston and commit myself to that company!

Interview Questions

• What do you think of working the night shift? (I did not realize this was a shift-director position. Are all of my managers also on my shift? Do I get a shift differential on my bonus?)   Answer Question
    • We are a fast-moving company. What do you expect to accomplish in the first 10 days? (Really?)   Answer Question
    • Tell us how your current employer overcame (a strategic problem). (No)   Answer Question
    • What about the Boston area makes it attractive to candidates from (my state)? (Are you serious?)   Answer Question

Head, Molecular Biology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

There was just one phone interview scheduled the night before. The interviewer did not have a copy of my resume and asked me a general question about my background. After few minutes, he abruptly became very dismissive and rude. Completely disorganized and disrespectful. I agree with other negative comments here and I am so glad I did not advanced in the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an idea of this position? (seriously! If I would have been unfit for this role, why did they even bother to call me?)   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied for a position online - contacted by HR for a different position within 2 days. Prompt replies. First round of 30mins phone interview with HR coordinator. HR mentioned that they would get back to me with an answer in a week. No news for next 10days... contacted the HR - got the reply.. oh yeah, we would like to have you on site and will send you the agenda. Again, silence persisted for another 4 days, until i contacted them again the day before to ask if i can know who am i meeting. again the same tone - oh yeah - here is the agenda! interviewed with 7 people one-on-one. hiring manager didnt look like he had any interest in working there himself, nor he showed any interest in interviewing - so overall a waste of time. I got an awful first impression being there for few hours! but didnt give up yet! gave the hiring manager a benefit of doubt - emailed asking to clarify few things about the position - no replies even after following up! turns out he went on vacation!
    one of the top management execs i met sounded very interested and assured that i will be contacted soon - 3 weeks - no response. called HR. same response tone - oh yeah, i am meeting the hiring manager, will let you know.... no response till now. Overall impression - Bad! Lackluster , and unprofessional HR personnel

Interview Questions

• few interviewers posed a "challenging" scenario and presented situations which sounded like they are having issues finding solutions for - i sensed that they were in to get free consultancy from me - and i took them for a ride as well! at this point in time i had negative interest in the company! BEWARE interviewers - you are smarter than you think! moderna doesn't have any products out yet - i definitely liked the science which was the motivation to apply for this position but i didnt want to fall in a mess of working with difficult personalities,they didnt sound motivated themselves! people work with people and thats how they progress... so it is very important for me who is in my team! definitely not moderna!! 500 employees with no approved product! Time to purge bad apples moderna! Good luck though!   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

BEWARE of Moderna Scientists and pay attention to what they are asking you in your interview. 3 of the 3 senior scientists at Moderna came well-preared with their actual isues they are facing in the lab and posed those question on the white board, expecting me to brainstorm ideas with them. One of the senior scientist actually started taking notes when i started the problem solving with them, but then i realized this is weird and totally out of the line. All 3 of them never asked anything else on personal front, but just kept asking me these tailored science questions that they desperately needed the solution for. Highly incompetent senior scientists both in formulations and process development. From the quality of questions and the tone they asked me those questions, it I am 100% certain that they are not well read, they do not know the basic know-how of tackling process development challenges - they would rather ask people, or worse interviewees, than search pubmed or patents. Very cheap move Moderna - so unimpressed. I don't understand how you value yourself as most innovative start-up company when your senior scientists are so low-class. This low standard of their scientists proves why are they having legal battle with Arbutus, the technology Moderna claimed as its own. Develop your own stuff Moderna, that's what innovation is all about, Stop self-acclamation and over-valuation for no reason. Invest in hiring better scientists with real education.
    Significantly bad HR management, the worst I have encountered in a start-up so far. No follow is so typical of HR but Moderna HR is one level higher than that - they told me they'll call me on so and so date, never called. Not once, not twice, but three times! Great job earning free money from over-valued start-up!! SAD, so SAD Moderna!

Interview Questions

• What is the most effective way of purifying ......?
      How will you formulate so and so.....?
      Really guys? Although it was fun to take you all for a ride!   1 Answer

Senior Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics.

Interview

I got many relevant questions about my past experience from scientists/ senior scientists, and it was all friendly. By contrast, higher management was showing a nice mixture of ignorance and arrogance.

(Contract) Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

Easy interview, nothing too demanding. Went to 2 separate interviews, first was 4 hours, second was 2 hours, additionally had a 30 min phone interview prior. Met 1 on 1 with 10 different lab members for roughly 30 minutes each, lunch was provided with 4 members for 1 hour. Heard great feedback after from my internal referral and from 1 on 1 with techs. Waited two weeks, did not hear back (after they mentioned many times I would hear back regardless) so I emailed the hiring manager. Never got a response from them, I emailed HR rep who had been coordinating my interviews and his email address was no longer in service. I found him on LinkedIn and he quit the same week I had my second interview. I finally was able to reach HR and they said they filled the position. Poor HR coordination and lack of responsiveness. If someone spends several days interviewing for a position, have the professionalism to respond regardless if they are chosen.

Interview Questions

• Why are you wanting to get into this type of research when it does not follow your current experience?   Answer Question

Quality Control Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted initially for a phone interview followed by on site with several individuals. I thought the team members were pleasant and the interview seemed to go well. Quite some time passed before I was called back for a second interview. Again, the team seemed to be very nice people and the interview was very conversational. However, I got a sense that the environment is chaotic and reactive (rather than proactive). I know they are experiencing growth but there's still a lot of uncertainty with major partners pulling out of deals. Meanwhile my lukewarm enthusiasm maybe had an impact on my outcome but not sure if this is a great environment in which to work.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time when you had to create a new process...describe how you approached it..
      Can you tell me about a time when you had an outcome that you weren't happy with and what you might have done differently
      (Standard questions mostly)   Answer Question

Facilities Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Moderna Therapeutics (Cambridge, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

Got 2 interviews through agency. First interview they called me 10 minutes before I was there they wanted me to go to their other location. So not knowing Cambridge Mass it proved to be a rat race as I had no GPS. Finally asked police officer found location sign for location was about 4 inch L by 1 inch W. Explained situation, interviewer apologized about change interview went well.Interviewer told me he would like me to come back meet other people.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty basic no difficulty interview was supposed to be an hour with 2-3 people met one person for 15 mins.   Answer Question