Moelis & Co. Summer Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Summer Analyst

Create your profile to get personalized information

Moelis & Co. Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Moelis & Co.

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Moelis & Co. (Boston, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

Got the interview through someone else at the office that I had met prior to the interview. The interview was a phone interview with an associate and analyst that lasted for about 25 minutes. Definitely was more on the technical side than most interviews and kind of brushed over the typical "why banking" and "why Moelis" questions as you would expect.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a DCF   Answer Question
  • Was asked a lot about my last internship in commercial real estate loans at Santander during my Freshman year summer, probably as a means of testing whether or not I actually did anything.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Moelis & Co.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Moelis & Co. (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was concise and reasonable. The first round (by video, from a non-core school) was mostly fit and tried to focus on why boutique versus a bulge bracket. The superday was only one hour- with 2 2-on-1 interviews- the first of which was all fit and the second mostly technical. The technicals are not easy, but situational- most present a small case or financing opportunity that you are asked to evaluate.

Interview Questions

• What is one time you disagreed with an authority figure and how did you resolve that situation?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Typical technical questions, run through a DCF, how to select comps, etc...

Interview Questions

• How would you value Berkshire Hathaway?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Moelis & Co. (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

First round was a phone screen. Second round was an in-person super day that consisted of two 30 minutes interviews. The first 30 minute interview was behavioral based and the second interview was all technical based. Overall, the interviews were pretty straight forward and the whole process lasted four days from when I had my first interview to when I heard back on an offer.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through how you calculate unlevered free cash flow.   2 Answers

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Moelis & Co. in February 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for the LA office from an East Coast Target School, without much finance experience. I had the first round interview on campus. It was a 2 on 1 interview and both interviewers were very friendly. Based on my friends who interviewed for the NYC office it is clear that I had a more laid back first round. I am not sure if this is because of the office or just my specific interviewers.

Interview Questions

• There were basic accounting questions regarding depreciation and capex. I was upfront about my lack of finance knowledge, and so I did not get questions about DCFs or LBOs, but I would be prepared for those too. There was also a brainteaser involving marbles of two different colors along with two bowls and the best way to maximize the odds of getting one color or the other.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moelis & Co. (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The first round was with 2 analysts. It took 30 min. Typical behavioral questions (e.g. why did you choose this major in college?) and many questions on industry knowledge. The final round was with 1 vp and 2 md (all 1:1 interviews). They asked many details about my last internship. All of them were friendly, but the interviews were quite stressful.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Moelis & Co. (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and transparent. Friendly office that really focuses on trying to get to know you as a person. Strong emphasis on making sure you're a good fit for the office and that the office (energy; banking; culture) is a good fit for you as well. The Houston office hires as many interns as they have full-time spots which is encouraging.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Moelis & Co. in March 2014.

Interview

Run through a DCF, why boutique banks, valuation methods, WACC, CAPM, etc. Very typical investment banking questions. More technical than bulge bracket interviews. My final round consisted of only two interviewers with senior bankers. They asked me why I was interested in the bank, and if I had any accounting background.

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Very technical compared to your typical BB interview - lots of accounting and valuation questions. Make sure to understand different types of valuation techniques used in the industry (not just theory) and LBOs. MC cares more about how much finance you know - less about target schools, etc. Focus also on culture

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Moelis & Co..

Interview

Applied through my university career website and received an on campus interview. About 5 minutes of behavioral (walk through resume, why moelis, why this location), 20 minutes of technicals, and 5 minutes of questions.

It was a 2 on 1 interview and the Interviewers seemed very tired.

Overall, it was a difficult interview and some tricky technicals. They didn't seem to weigh cultural fit as much as technical knowledge

Interview Questions

• EV of a company after it issues dividends
      Walk through the DCF of a gold mine   Answer Question