MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.1

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The MongoDB interview process was great. I had a technical phone screen, two onsite technical interviews, and one onsite interview with a product manager.

My recruiters were very friendly and I got to tour the office. They asked challenging questions in the technical interviews, and the engineers were very friendly. My product manager interview was literally with one of the chief architects, which was awesome pretty freaking awesome.

Curriculum Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in March 2016.

Interview

Spoke with the first interviewer for 30 minutes over the phone. The conversation was friendly, but a bit one-sided, as I only was able to ask him about one minute of questions during the entire phone call. He then asked me to email him questions I had about the job, and I did, but he took 9 days to respond to them. What is even more concerning is that one of the questions I asked via email was "What is the most important thing you feel is necessary to be a good manager" and he replied "responsiveness". After reading that answer, I unfortunately had to take everything else he said with a grain of salt.

The following week, I did a one-hour technical interview with a second interviewer where I typed code into a text editor while the interviewer watched and asked me questions. The technical interview seemed more like a Software Engineering interview, as I was required to build fairly complex programs from scratch in front of the interviewer, which seemed a bit inappropriate for a Curriculum Developer interview and seemed a bit too academic as well. The company should probably modify the interview process where code samples with typos/errors could be presented to the job candidate and then the candidate could try to find the typos/errors. Or, the candidate could tell the interviewer what the output of a certain algorithm would be.

Those interested in the job should also keep the following in mind:

The company is going to promote a new manager by September 2016, so the current manager will most likely "not" be your boss for long.

The department is dominated by former college professors and researchers, so you will need to be comfortable working inside a very "academic" culture.

According to the interviewer, you are expected to work 50-60 hours per week in this role.

Interview Questions

• Find the most repeated character in string of random characters   Answer Question
    • take an array of sorted numbers and return each number squared and sorted. Be sure to account for negative numbers.   Answer Question
    • How would you create a method/way to determine how to know if a person is likely to answer a test question correctly.   Answer Question
    • Semaphore vs Mutex; Process vs Thread; Vector vs Linked List; What make an algorithm efficient? How would you build a curriculum to educate people about lobsters?   Answer Question
    • return files in a folder that contain the number "100" in the filename using linux commands; return text files in a folder that contain the number "100" in the text body using linux commands   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process is extensive. It can be daunting and it can be exhausting. Some interviewers will be "adversarial" and they will attempt to see how you perform under pressure. I know several folks who are extremely talented but did not get an offer. The interview process will eliminate some good candidates, but everybody who eventually gets an offer is at the top of their field.

Interview Questions

• Question about best practices for a specific programming language? Or how different programming languages differ   Answer Question

Corporate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for this position. Had a handful of phone interviews, then was invited to an onsite interview. Spent 3 hrs interviewing with 2 Sales directors and the VP of Corporate sales. I thought it went well. I was invited back for their "challenge" portion of the interview. Which is a 1 hr role play of a sales meeting. This takes a good amount of time to prepare and research for. I was told if you make it this far it is a 90% done deal you will get hired. They liked my challenge and gave some feed back, then asked if I could do another role play to see how I took their feed back.

This 2nd role play was canceled 5 mins after it should have started. I almost backed out at this point due to them being unprofessional and already canceling several calls last minute. The recruiter talked me into sticking it out. So I proceeded to do the 2nd role play interview with both Sales directors out of the Austin office. I was then told I did a great job and they would pass on their recommendation to hire me to the VP of Sales.

At this time I was given a verbal offer, walked through what my comp plan would be, as well as stock options, as well as other things. We talked about when I would be available to start.

I was then contacted and told I needed to have a call with the CRO (Chief Revenue Officer). After him canceling our meeting 3 times, I finally was able to have a brief 25 min conversation with him. Very high level about my background. Where I grew up, went to school, career path to this point, etc.

2 Days later I received a call from the sales director informing me they would not be hiring me. This comes after almost a 2 month process, a total of 4 hours of in person interviewing, Countless phone calls, many of which were canceled last minute and rescheduled.

I currently have a job, and put in a ton of time and even took time off of work to pursue this, because I was told countless times how much they liked me and wanted me on the team. Only to be told I wasn't the right fit after being drug through their VERY unprofessional process.

Ended up being an epic waste of time and left a very bad taste in my mouth as to the professionalism of this organization.

Interview Questions

• They do a fairly in depth role play where you select a company and have to conduct a sales meeting/pitch of the Mongo product.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

As far as most AE interviews go, this was pretty on par. I spoke with the team's director a few times before meeting him in person and then moving on to a call with the global head of corporate sales.

Upon learning that I had qualified for the next round, I came in for a group setting interview and gave a presentation. Fairly painless process, though there is some pressure given that I came from outside of the database industry. Everyone was extremely nice, gave thoughtful/honest feedback, and were reachable in case I had questions.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online a month or two ago and was emailed by a recruiter to set up a phone screen. The recruiter asked some behavioral and semi-technical questions - not too hard. Next, there was a technical phone screen interview; there were general data structures and algorithm questions.

There were three interviewers in the final round interviews. The first was technical, but more focused on problem solving and data structures knowledge. The second was behavioral, probably to determine if I was a cultural fit. The third one was technical and had an online coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• Implement DFS/BFS for a binary search tree.   Answer Question
    • You are given a histogram plot. If rain "falls" on top of the histogram plot and gets trapped in between the bars, what is the area of the trapped rain water?   Answer Question
    • How do you balance a binary tree without using a self-balancing algorithm like the ones Red-Black Trees and AVL trees use?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Screen, then technical phone interview. easy-medium leetcode question.
    On-site following that. lunch with full time engineers then 3 technical interviews. Mix of design/coding questions + resume questions. They care about culture a lot, on top of perfect answers to tech questions. They want enthusiasm, but it's ok if you've never used MongoDB before.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

1. Call with a recruiter, asked why I was interested in MongoDB. Let me know at the end of the interview that her colleague would be reaching out about scheduling a 1-hr technical interview. After talking to friends who also applied, this stage is actually important in determining whether you get a technical interview. Know why you want to work at MongoDB!

2. Highly technical interview: covered CS fundamentals (binary search trees, garbage collection, maps, sorts), operating systems, 3 programming questions on a collaboration site. Lasted the full hour.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between mergesort and quicksort?   Answer Question

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Its multiple round interview with a focus on Linux & Troubleshooting skills. Starts off with a basic recruiter led round, to a phone interview round with the hiring manager, to another phone interview and finally a gruelling 3 hour long interview at the Office. They ask all kinds of questions relating to Linux, Networking, Programming, Problem Solving etc

Interview Questions

• How would you reproduce and diagnose a Bad File Descriptor error?   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Long hiring process with many stages. Required a presentation called the challenge, which lived up to it's name!

Recommend you spend a long time preparing, and focus on customer needs in the presentation, not products