MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 27, 2017

3.1

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial call with Hiring Manager, call with potential colleague (peer), final round onsite with 4 different people lasting 3 hours total. During the onsite, each person asked a case study around their job to understand how I'd collaborate with them. There was nothing generic about this interview, no "why us?" or "tell me about a time....."

Entire process was smooth and moved fairly quickly. Everyone I encountered during the process was engaging and genuinely liked the company.

Interview Questions

• Drew a mock sales chart and asked how I'd interpret it.   Answer Question
    • Described a data situation that caused a report to show incorrect data and asked how I'd go about investigating it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MongoDB (Rochester, NY).

Interview

Interview process pretty straightforward, First had a behavioral interview with some basic questions about me. (Mainly just to weed out candidates who are obviously not fit)Followed by a 45 minute technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Question was straight out of leetcode combination sum: combination sum ii.   Answer Question

EAE Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Several rounds with the last round being with the SVP and/or CRO. The sales process and requirements for a customer are presented to you via powerpoint, and you use it to make your case about a company you'd take through the sales process.

Interview Questions

• Select 5 companies and tell us why; pitch enterprise edition to us as if we were one of the 5 companies?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

I applied through university career fair. I had a phone screen with the recruiter. The interview was structured and the recruiter was very nice. It lasted about 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. What is your favorite programming language and why? Why MongoDB?   Answer Question

Senior Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

For me, it started with pursuit by one of their recruiters. They were persistent and professional (at the start), which I respect, so I gave them a shot. The process slowly degraded from there. I had a phone interview with the recruiter. Then a face to face with the recruiter and the sales manager, followed by another phone interview with the sales director. After those discussions, I was being told I was "a perfect fit". For me, there were a few red flags on the topics of professional autonomy and culture, plus they all seemed to be there and everywhere else for <2 years (a company with 60% yoy growth for 5+ years?) I believe it multiple impressions and don't believe in contempt prior to investigation. So, when they asked me to come back in for some face to face "conversations", I agreed. I met the director in person, their VP of sales and their CRO in succession. The process lasted about three hours. The first two gentlemen engaged me in a conversation as a sales professional on the same level. I enjoyed speaking with them both. They were prepared and asked challenging and fair questions. However, the CRO, let's just say I wasn't a big fan. He seemed rushed, distracted (kept looking out of the conference room window) and not there to qualify but rather to disqualify. It was not a real conversation by any stretch. The beginning was superficial and once I asked him what questions he had for me, he literally hit me with about ~15 questions in a row without any pause. It's one way to go but again, it felt like a disqualification exam and a bit much for the first time we were scheduled to "talk". Once I was done, the hiring manager came in and said he would get back to me with feedback from all three of them. That took about a week (another red flag) and the feedback from the CRO was negative (shocker). Despite my instinct, I agreed to appeal to the CRO based at the hiring managers request and to see where the offer was compared to others I had. I put together a short presentation with some background examples to rebut the CRO's two concerns (yes, only two concerns out of seven rounds of interviewing questions) and addressed him directly. He did not even courtesy reply but the hiring manager indicated he would speak to the CRO and get back to me. That took another week and when I finally caught up with the hiring manager, he indicated he had not spoken to the CRO but they were "going another direction". It worked out because I would not have agreed to any further steps without an offer and even if the offer was the best I had seen, I likely would have turned it down.

Interview Questions

• Describe the org. chart of your biggest prospect.   1 Answer
    • What net new logos have you closed 100% on your own while with "X" company?   1 Answer

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

3 phone interviews and 2 in person interviews.

1st call is with a recruiter
    2nd and 3rd call are with Sales Managers (Your future bosses)

1st in person interview: You meet with 3 key members of the sales team. These are one on one . Very easy and conversational.

2nd in person interview is a "sales challenge". They send you a case study the day before, then you do a role playing exercise with 3/4 of the sales team. They want to see how you qualify/ask questions

Overall this process is very drawn out and repetitive. You're hiring an SDR..not the director of sales. You will have the same conversation 6 times over the course of this process.

Also they tend to ghost people during the process..Emailed/called multiple people with no response. Very unprofessional considering how much work they make you do.

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in September 2015.

Interview

- There are many rounds of interviews and it may vary from candidate to candidate
    - Starts with what you do and why you want to be here
    - You can drive the interview and focus on the skills that you are good at
    - The job requires wide variety of skills and thus no single skill is good over another (depends on the interviewer perception)
    - Mix skills of linux, databases, networking, software development etc.

Interview Questions

• A part of the customer's application is not doing well. What is your approach to troubleshoot?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MongoDB in October 2016.

Interview

I was reached out to through Piazza by a university recruiter, and after an initial behavioral phone screen, began the interview process. There was a single technical interview through a shared coding platform, and then I was invited to final rounds. Because of my busy school schedule I conducted the final round via BlueJeans and a coder-pad-esque shared code-editor. It consisted of three rounds of technical interviews and a final behavioral round with one of the VP of engineering's at mongodb. The whole process was well organize, quick and in all, a wonderful experience!

Developer Interview

Interview

Bozo event horizon. Hiring people who couldn't make it anywhere else. Recruiters use recruitment as marketing stunts to attract people to *use* and *buy* support, not get a paycheck working remotely *for* mongo. They're big into hiring subpar candidates to spite skill and talent. The recruiters don't respond, outright lie and miss arrangements. Don't bother, time wasters.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with databases   1 Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in May 2017.

Interview

Very strange interview process, for a variety of reasons. I was given an incorrect time for one of my earlier interviews which meant that I did not attend it for when it was scheduled. Wasn't an issue as it was rescheduled for another day, but still a bit unprofessional/sloppy. A bit of a red flag, in hindsight. There was 8 interviews in total by the end of the process (as far as I went). Throughout the interviews, there was no indication how many were left to go through and it was a bit awkward. I met with a couple of members from the existing team. One was lovely and stayed for the entire process despite letting me know she had plans after, the other had no interest in being there and quickly ended it after about 10 minutes of some generic questions.

I then met one of the senior members of staff who was involved on the product side of things. Very odd interview. It started with him outright asking: "Do you know why I'm interviewing with you now? Normally I don't meet with people for this role so I am a bit confused as to why I am meeting you.", he then proceeded to tell me that "There's no women in my team yet, unfortunately." , which was a bit of an eyebrow raiser as a man applying for a role in the company. I lost a bit of hope after hearing that.

I eventually emailed the HR person I was dealing with a few days after my final interview as I wasn't totally clear on whether I was moving onto a 9th interview or if I was even in the running for the role. I was told that I would need to wait 10 days until the manager was back from a trip. No problem. I then received an email a couple of days later explaining that they felt I wasn't senior enough for the role.

It was a bit of a disappointment given that I am almost 30 and have 6 years experience in a very similar role. Another member of the same team had told me during the interview that she had no experience in databases when she joined, so I was a bit confused as to what they actually meant when they rejected me. Especially since the Success Team didn't appear to be very senior anyway. I felt it wasn't a very honest reason, but I didn't want to bother the HR team any further as they were quite nice to me throughout the process.

I see the role has been posted up again today so I was a bit disappointed to see that I wasn't even beaten to the role by another candidate as of yet. Again, I felt the explanation for not going with me was a bit disingenuous so it was a bit of a sour experience after such a long process.

Interview Questions

• Do you know why I am interviewing with you? Normally I don't interview for your role.   1 Answer