MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

3.1

Presales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Multiple steps - Soft skills, Technical skills, combined Soft and technical skills, challenge - two 15 minute presentations on something you know and something you don't know. Phone technical Interviewer came off as knowing arrogant right off the bat with all his knowledge. This one bad apple may turn away some very qualified candidates. All the interviews with the people that had soft skills were great. The one technical interview was the worst ever.

Interview Questions

• Unorthodox - asked questions about Oracle but used SQL Server terminology. Asked technical questions that he didn't know the answer to. Too bad they don't screen their interviewers.   Answer Question

Corporate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for this position. Had a handful of phone interviews, then was invited to an onsite interview. Spent 3 hrs interviewing with 2 Sales directors and the VP of Corporate sales. I thought it went well. I was invited back for their "challenge" portion of the interview. Which is a 1 hr role play of a sales meeting. This takes a good amount of time to prepare and research for. I was told if you make it this far it is a 90% done deal you will get hired. They liked my challenge and gave some feed back, then asked if I could do another role play to see how I took their feed back.

This 2nd role play was canceled 5 mins after it should have started. I almost backed out at this point due to them being unprofessional and already canceling several calls last minute. The recruiter talked me into sticking it out. So I proceeded to do the 2nd role play interview with both Sales directors out of the Austin office. I was then told I did a great job and they would pass on their recommendation to hire me to the VP of Sales.

At this time I was given a verbal offer, walked through what my comp plan would be, as well as stock options, as well as other things. We talked about when I would be available to start.

I was then contacted and told I needed to have a call with the CRO (Chief Revenue Officer). After him canceling our meeting 3 times, I finally was able to have a brief 25 min conversation with him. Very high level about my background. Where I grew up, went to school, career path to this point, etc.

2 Days later I received a call from the sales director informing me they would not be hiring me. This comes after almost a 2 month process, a total of 4 hours of in person interviewing, Countless phone calls, many of which were canceled last minute and rescheduled.

I currently have a job, and put in a ton of time and even took time off of work to pursue this, because I was told countless times how much they liked me and wanted me on the team. Only to be told I wasn't the right fit after being drug through their VERY unprofessional process.

Ended up being an epic waste of time and left a very bad taste in my mouth as to the professionalism of this organization.

Interview Questions

• They do a fairly in depth role play where you select a company and have to conduct a sales meeting/pitch of the Mongo product.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Standard phone interview. Recruiter will contact you to set up a time to talk over the phone. Very friendly, but asked me to clarify my graduation date four times. Got back within the week, I got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to quit your current job to work at MongoDB   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

As far as most AE interviews go, this was pretty on par. I spoke with the team's director a few times before meeting him in person and then moving on to a call with the global head of corporate sales.

Upon learning that I had qualified for the next round, I came in for a group setting interview and gave a presentation. Fairly painless process, though there is some pressure given that I came from outside of the database industry. Everyone was extremely nice, gave thoughtful/honest feedback, and were reachable in case I had questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for a thirty minute phone screen with a college recruiter.

I was then asked to schedule a 45 minute technical phone interview which was then done with a software engineer over codepen with time at the end to ask him questions about his job and the company

The last round was three back to back one hour technical interviews over video chat with time at the end of each to ask interviewer questions.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was pretty shocked at how unprofessional the process was. It was pretty average up until the final interview, which was a case study, essentially. During my final presentation, there were distractions outside of the room that caught the attention of my interviewers. I shrugged this off and continued. I feel that the sales team believes they are on par with companies like Google, but this is obviously not the case.

Additionally, MongoDB sales doesn't seem to understand that one does not need to dedicate an entire career to sales in order to be an effective salesperson - many great salespeople start off at sales and use these skills to transfer into other departments.

No word back after I prepared for hours for the final interview. I even called and left a voicemail, but nothing. This is seriously unprofessional - it's extremely disrespectful to expect so much time out of a candidate to prepare for a final interview, only to leave them in the dark afterwards. This is only hurting the perception of the company, as treatment like this leaves a sour taste in an applicant's mouth. Word spreads quickly.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in November 2016.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter because I submitted my resume to a resume pool during a hackathon. Email inquired if I was interested in applying, then set up a phone screen for a few days later. Phone screen was super simple: asked questions about my resume, side projects, hobbies, etc. Was notified at the end of the call that I had progressed to the next step.

The next step was a 1-on-1 technical interview with a developer that worked at MongoDB. We used an online code-collaboration website, and google hangouts. He asked me questions about the classes I was currently taking, as well as general data structures questions. Then I had one coding question. I was notified a few hours later that I had passed this step as well, and scheduled the final interview.

The final interview consisted of 3 back-to-back, 45-minute interviews with different developers, each from a different team at MongoDB. The interviewers were super awesome and informal; we just talked about different Computer Science related things, before they asked me to answer some coding questions.

A few days later I got a call from my recruiter with a verbal offer, and the official offer was emailed to me the day afterwards.

Tip: From talking to several friends who also interviewed, they seem to base questions pretty heavily off what classes you're currently in; I.E. my friends who are in an OS class get OS related questions, those in Algorithms get algorithms-based questions, et.c.

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university's career fair, and I was initially contacted by a recruiter for a behavioral interview. I then scheduled a technical interview for one week later.

The interview was pretty standard, but being that it was my first serious technical interview, I wasn't able to handle the pressure and created solutions much more complicated than needed for the technical questions. Is not a difficult phone screen if you're not me :)

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The MongoDB interview process was great. I had a technical phone screen, two onsite technical interviews, and one onsite interview with a product manager.

My recruiters were very friendly and I got to tour the office. They asked challenging questions in the technical interviews, and the engineers were very friendly. My product manager interview was literally with one of the chief architects, which was awesome pretty freaking awesome.

Inter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a general interview at first. Where I was asked about my experience and background. After that round I had a technical phone/online interview where I was asked about the projects that I worked on which were relevant to them.