MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.1

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a MongoDB recruiter. Spoke to them about the position. Sounded interesting. Phone interview with Director. No big deal. Technical phone interview. This is where I should have realized that this company is in trouble. The technical interview consisted of the MongoDB employee telling me how great he was for 30 minutes. The next 30 minutes were about nothing. Interviewed onsite - Nothing big. Interviewed again and performed a dog and pony show for them. Very easy to snow these guys. I should have known at this point that the company is having serious problems. After a little research they want to do an IPO in 2018. They don't have the management (at all levels) in place. Don't work for this place. They offered me a ton of money, but it wouldn't be worth it.

Interview Questions

• 1st phone - general talk about the company. 2nd phone - MongoDB employee spent half the time talking about how great he was. I asked him simple questions and he didn't know the answers. This gave me an indicator of the quality of staff. 3rd - Onsite with 3-4 staff. Not a big deal. The staff is very uneducated so it was easy to talk over their heads. 4th - Onsite - Presentation of a dog and pony show. They tried to ask questions like they were god like because they worked for MongoDB.   Answer Question

MongoDB Response

May 17, 2017 – MongoDB

Hi there. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your interview. We realize not everyone is a natural born interviewer, which is why one of our priority initiatives is the continued... More

Corporate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for this position. Had a handful of phone interviews, then was invited to an onsite interview. Spent 3 hrs interviewing with 2 Sales directors and the VP of Corporate sales. I thought it went well. I was invited back for their "challenge" portion of the interview. Which is a 1 hr role play of a sales meeting. This takes a good amount of time to prepare and research for. I was told if you make it this far it is a 90% done deal you will get hired. They liked my challenge and gave some feed back, then asked if I could do another role play to see how I took their feed back.

This 2nd role play was canceled 5 mins after it should have started. I almost backed out at this point due to them being unprofessional and already canceling several calls last minute. The recruiter talked me into sticking it out. So I proceeded to do the 2nd role play interview with both Sales directors out of the Austin office. I was then told I did a great job and they would pass on their recommendation to hire me to the VP of Sales.

At this time I was given a verbal offer, walked through what my comp plan would be, as well as stock options, as well as other things. We talked about when I would be available to start.

I was then contacted and told I needed to have a call with the CRO (Chief Revenue Officer). After him canceling our meeting 3 times, I finally was able to have a brief 25 min conversation with him. Very high level about my background. Where I grew up, went to school, career path to this point, etc.

2 Days later I received a call from the sales director informing me they would not be hiring me. This comes after almost a 2 month process, a total of 4 hours of in person interviewing, Countless phone calls, many of which were canceled last minute and rescheduled.

I currently have a job, and put in a ton of time and even took time off of work to pursue this, because I was told countless times how much they liked me and wanted me on the team. Only to be told I wasn't the right fit after being drug through their VERY unprofessional process.

Ended up being an epic waste of time and left a very bad taste in my mouth as to the professionalism of this organization.

Interview Questions

• They do a fairly in depth role play where you select a company and have to conduct a sales meeting/pitch of the Mongo product.   Answer Question

Director of Marketing Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter within a few days. Great recruiter and very responsive. Even though she was on Eastern Time, she was still available to answer any questions or concerns at the end of the day Pacific Time.

Most of the interviews were phone or video as the team is spread out across the US. Interview process was straight forward:
    -Phone screening with recruiter
    -Video interview with the hiring manager
    -Video interview with the marketing operations team
    -Video interview with Director of Demand Generation
    -In person interview with the CMO

Received and accepted an offer a few days after speaking to the CMO.

Interview Questions

• What piece marketing technology do you love and which do you hate?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job to work at MongoDB?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter, who said she would circulate my resume around the various teams to see if there was any interest. The recruiter got back to me very quickly saying that there was no interest from the team. I found out later that she had also signed me up for a barrage of MongoDB marketing emails, which was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

MongoDB Response

Dec 14, 2016 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We apologize you were accidentally signed up to receive emails. If you could visit http://go.mongodb.com/unsubscribe we'd be happy to unsubscribe... More

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Dropped of my resume at my university's career fair. Contacted a couple of weeks later by email for a phone screen with a recruiter. Advanced to 45 minute technical phone interview (online coding). Contacted the next day inviting me to come to MongoDB's office for on-site technical interviews. Three one-hour interviews. One chatting about myself and technical discussion, then the other two interview were whiteboard coding challenges.

Interview Questions

• Standard string and array manipulation problems, (comparable to easy-to-medium difficulty on leetcode.com).   Answer Question

Inter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a general interview at first. Where I was asked about my experience and background. After that round I had a technical phone/online interview where I was asked about the projects that I worked on which were relevant to them.

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university's career fair, and I was initially contacted by a recruiter for a behavioral interview. I then scheduled a technical interview for one week later.

The interview was pretty standard, but being that it was my first serious technical interview, I wasn't able to handle the pressure and created solutions much more complicated than needed for the technical questions. Is not a difficult phone screen if you're not me :)

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

As far as most AE interviews go, this was pretty on par. I spoke with the team's director a few times before meeting him in person and then moving on to a call with the global head of corporate sales.

Upon learning that I had qualified for the next round, I came in for a group setting interview and gave a presentation. Fairly painless process, though there is some pressure given that I came from outside of the database industry. Everyone was extremely nice, gave thoughtful/honest feedback, and were reachable in case I had questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

1. Call with a recruiter, asked why I was interested in MongoDB. Let me know at the end of the interview that her colleague would be reaching out about scheduling a 1-hr technical interview. After talking to friends who also applied, this stage is actually important in determining whether you get a technical interview. Know why you want to work at MongoDB!

2. Highly technical interview: covered CS fundamentals (binary search trees, garbage collection, maps, sorts), operating systems, 3 programming questions on a collaboration site. Lasted the full hour.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between mergesort and quicksort?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Screen, then technical phone interview. easy-medium leetcode question.
    On-site following that. lunch with full time engineers then 3 technical interviews. Mix of design/coding questions + resume questions. They care about culture a lot, on top of perfect answers to tech questions. They want enthusiasm, but it's ok if you've never used MongoDB before.