MongoDB Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.2

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Got my first interview by going to the career fair and talking to the recruiters. Had a behavioral interview on my university's campus the next day, which was really informal and asked me basic questions like why are you interested in working for MongoDB, talk about your resume..etc. Had a phone technical the next week with a guy who did not seem interested in interviewing at all. He asked me to write a program to find all pairs, then all triples, and then any sublist of length n.
    They invited me to interview at their office the next week, which consisted of three interviews, two of which were technical and the other was just talking about my resume. The first interview was honestly a joke; I answered the question in 10 minutes and the guy didn't know what to do next, so he asked a bunch of random problems he find online. Something was very off about this guy and he clearly was not prepared to interview anyone. The second interview involved two guys asking me a lot of questions about my resume. One of the guys was apparently shadowing the other to learn how to interview, and was very awkward and didn't ask any questions. The third interview involved a slightly more challenging coding question, but nothing crazy. Throughout all these interviews, people kept barging into the interview room because they apparently "overbooked" the room with a bunch of meetings, which was fairly distracting. They told me they would get back to me by the end of the week, but over two weeks go by without hearing anything from them. I emailed them asking for an update, and they replied back with a rejection email an hour later. Honestly surprised considering I got all of the technical questions right, maybe I wasn't a right fit for the company. Overall, the interview process was very unorganized and unprofessional and I would recommend applying to other places. The people there are pretty nice, but also awkward and don't really know how to interact.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that returns true if an array contains two integers that sum up to a target number.   1 Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial call with Hiring Manager, call with potential colleague (peer), final round onsite with 4 different people lasting 3 hours total. During the onsite, each person asked a case study around their job to understand how I'd collaborate with them. There was nothing generic about this interview, no "why us?" or "tell me about a time....."

Entire process was smooth and moved fairly quickly. Everyone I encountered during the process was engaging and genuinely liked the company.

Interview Questions

• Drew a mock sales chart and asked how I'd interpret it.   Answer Question
    • Described a data situation that caused a report to show incorrect data and asked how I'd go about investigating it.   Answer Question

Senior Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

For me, it started with pursuit by one of their recruiters. They were persistent and professional (at the start), which I respect, so I gave them a shot. The process slowly degraded from there. I had a phone interview with the recruiter. Then a face to face with the recruiter and the sales manager, followed by another phone interview with the sales director. After those discussions, I was being told I was "a perfect fit". For me, there were a few red flags on the topics of professional autonomy and culture, plus they all seemed to be there and everywhere else for <2 years (a company with 60% yoy growth for 5+ years?) I believe it multiple impressions and don't believe in contempt prior to investigation. So, when they asked me to come back in for some face to face "conversations", I agreed. I met the director in person, their VP of sales and their CRO in succession. The process lasted about three hours. The first two gentlemen engaged me in a conversation as a sales professional on the same level. I enjoyed speaking with them both. They were prepared and asked challenging and fair questions. However, the CRO, let's just say I wasn't a big fan. He seemed rushed, distracted (kept looking out of the conference room window) and not there to qualify but rather to disqualify. It was not a real conversation by any stretch. The beginning was superficial and once I asked him what questions he had for me, he literally hit me with about ~15 questions in a row without any pause. It's one way to go but again, it felt like a disqualification exam and a bit much for the first time we were scheduled to "talk". Once I was done, the hiring manager came in and said he would get back to me with feedback from all three of them. That took about a week (another red flag) and the feedback from the CRO was negative (shocker). Despite my instinct, I agreed to appeal to the CRO based at the hiring managers request and to see where the offer was compared to others I had. I put together a short presentation with some background examples to rebut the CRO's two concerns (yes, only two concerns out of seven rounds of interviewing questions) and addressed him directly. He did not even courtesy reply but the hiring manager indicated he would speak to the CRO and get back to me. That took another week and when I finally caught up with the hiring manager, he indicated he had not spoken to the CRO but they were "going another direction". It worked out because I would not have agreed to any further steps without an offer and even if the offer was the best I had seen, I likely would have turned it down.

Interview Questions

• Describe the org. chart of your biggest prospect.   1 Answer
    • What net new logos have you closed 100% on your own while with "X" company?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

behavioral interview which lasted for about 1 hour. then technical phone screen which lasted 1 hour. then onsite interview which lasted around 3 hours. There were 3 interviewers onsite. Each was very friendly and spent around an hour on different questions.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The recruiters were knowledgeable and involved in candidate experience. The first two rounds were phone interviews. The final round was a series of four onsite interviews. The six interviewers were engineers across four different teams. The interviews were typically structured. The interviewer first asks about background/resume, then asks a technical question, and finally accept any questions from the candidate. Coding is done on a shared editor or whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Half of my interviewers asked me to search a graph (given as a matrix).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Behavioral Interview - who you are, why you want to intern there, etc. It was a standard interview that didn't have any trick questions - either you clicked with the culture and interviewer or you didn't. I don't know much about the later processes though.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Standard phone interview. Recruiter will contact you to set up a time to talk over the phone. Very friendly, but asked me to clarify my graduation date four times. Got back within the week, I got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to quit your current job to work at MongoDB   Answer Question

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a MongoDB recruiter. Spoke to them about the position. Sounded interesting. Phone interview with Director. No big deal. Technical phone interview. This is where I should have realized that this company is in trouble. The technical interview consisted of the MongoDB employee telling me how great he was for 30 minutes. The next 30 minutes were about nothing. Interviewed onsite - Nothing big. Interviewed again and performed a dog and pony show for them. Very easy to snow these guys. I should have known at this point that the company is having serious problems. After a little research they want to do an IPO in 2018. They don't have the management (at all levels) in place. Don't work for this place. They offered me a ton of money, but it wouldn't be worth it.

Interview Questions

• 1st phone - general talk about the company. 2nd phone - MongoDB employee spent half the time talking about how great he was. I asked him simple questions and he didn't know the answers. This gave me an indicator of the quality of staff. 3rd - Onsite with 3-4 staff. Not a big deal. The staff is very uneducated so it was easy to talk over their heads. 4th - Onsite - Presentation of a dog and pony show. They tried to ask questions like they were god like because they worked for MongoDB.   Answer Question

MongoDB Response

May 17, 2017 – MongoDB

Hi there. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your interview. We realize not everyone is a natural born interviewer, which is why one of our priority initiatives is the continued... More

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter, who said she would circulate my resume around the various teams to see if there was any interest. The recruiter got back to me very quickly saying that there was no interest from the team. I found out later that she had also signed me up for a barrage of MongoDB marketing emails, which was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

MongoDB Response

Dec 14, 2016 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We apologize you were accidentally signed up to receive emails. If you could visit http://go.mongodb.com/unsubscribe we'd be happy to unsubscribe... More

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Dropped of my resume at my university's career fair. Contacted a couple of weeks later by email for a phone screen with a recruiter. Advanced to 45 minute technical phone interview (online coding). Contacted the next day inviting me to come to MongoDB's office for on-site technical interviews. Three one-hour interviews. One chatting about myself and technical discussion, then the other two interview were whiteboard coding challenges.

Interview Questions

• Standard string and array manipulation problems, (comparable to easy-to-medium difficulty on leetcode.com).   Answer Question