Cover image for MongoDB

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

MongoDB Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 16 of over 938 interviews

Staffing Agency6%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

MongoDB

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in Jun 2022

Interview

The process was comprised of 2 parts. Initially, a call with the recruiter, a call with one of the hiring managers, and a coding assessment. After proceeding through this stage, the final stage (essentially the on-site, but online), involved two behavioral interviews, a design interview, and finally a pair programming interview. This interview process presented a great opportunity to meet all of the members of the team and it was extremely reassuring to find that all the interviewers (prospective colleagues) were very welcoming and comfortable answering any questions I had. My recruiter, Ronan, checked in with me regularly throughout the process and provided concise documents detailing how I should approach each interview. Overall, the interview process was challenging, but very well structured and flexible, and gave a great insight into the positive working culture that has been cultivated at MongoDB.

Interview Questions
  • Some standard behavioral questions: - "Why are you looking to leave your current role?" - "Why MongoDB?" - "What is your proudest accomplishment in your career?"
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Dublin, Dublin) in Jun 2022

Interview

1. Recruiter call (found me on linkedin) 2. Basic technical screening (leet code medium) 3. Manager call - communications + background 4. 2x1hr behavioural interviews 5. System design - design whatsapp, for example 6. Pair programming - OO, patterns, Java API + communication with "junior" programmer

Interview Questions
  • Over the entire process a wide range of questions. To pass this interview, cover: Leet code medium OO concepts Design patterns Architectural patterns discussing trade-offs Communicate while coding Prepare some standard behavioural answers
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about MongoDB

Join the conversation on

Tech

469.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Employer-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=MongoDB~433703
Join the conversation on

MongoDB

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at MongoDB in Apr 2022

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me via email because of my github account. After the initial call and good talking I've decided to move onwards with the interview process. Got lots of information how the interviews look like which was very good. The first interview was a system design interview. Not typical drawing, in text form like a discussion having with a colleague. The interviewer did not expected me to know every technical but rather that I can discuss the various trade-offs and bottle necks in the design. I've enjoyed the interview, felt respected and speaking on eye-level. The interviewer also took some extra time after the interview to discuss technical topics and answering questions. After the system design interview however I needed to abort the process because of private reasons. The recruiter respected my decision and followed up with a positive message to always have a door open at MongoDB. To me it was a great interview experience, from the recruiter and from the interviewer.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

MongoDB

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at MongoDB in Dec 2021

Interview

I was reached out by their recruiter, starting with a call with a director who shared insights and long term vision of his department. Then phone interview + hiring manager call + on-site interviews with coding, system design and behaviors.

Interview Questions
  • Regular and formal interview questions, similar to what I had with Google/FB. coding + system design + behaviors

MongoDB

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in Oct 2021

Interview

Typical process - recruiter call, phone screen, virtual on-site. Their tooling was intuitive for following the interview journey - complete with headshots of your actual interviewers coupled with zoom and coderpad-like links (I forget the actual platform used). Interviewers were passionate about their work and happy. Overall I will say that the interviews were harder than many other places but fair, and allowed me to display knowledge. No "gotchas". Interviewers were interactive and receptive to questions.

Interview Questions
  • Data Structures, Algorithms, Concurrency. Generally Leetcode Medium style.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in Sep 2021

Interview

Applied through the recruitment firm. Process described included 1 hr technical phone/zoom screen and 4 hr onsite interview. I didn't make it past the technical screen itself, so can't comment on onsite experience. The technical screen question was a LC hard question, and I honestly didn't expect that during a tech screen. I was only able to provide half working solution and explain my though process on how to solve it. But that wasn't sufficient for me to move on to onsite. If you are applying be prepared to answer LC hard questions (even during tech screen)

Interview Questions
  • A question around shunting yard algorithm
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at MongoDB (Dublin, Dublin) in Aug 2021

Interview

Had a chat with several people from different areas. In the last 3 rounds (among 6), I ended up going well on the first (coding), on the second, had a chit-chat with a manager and in the final one they had sent me a wrong link for the meeting. I ended up arriving 10 minutes later because I had to come back to the HR asking for the correct one. Although I solved the problem for the last round (even with less time), I never heard back from MongoDB. I totally lost my respect for the company. It seems it is part of the culture to ghost candidates - and according to Glassdoor, that seems to happen pretty often. A total waste of time and energy. After 6 rounds of interviews, being "ditched" without any single word from them sounds very unprofessional and, at the same time, a coward act.

Interview Questions
  • Easy and Medium LT questions and few soft skills related, nothing out of this planet tbh.
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Sydney) in Aug 2021

Interview

A few rounds including HR phone interview, take home coding exercise, technical round with code review and technical questions, system design and behavioural round with product manager and final hiring manager interview

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

MongoDB

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB in Apr 2021

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter very quickly. There were 4 steps in the process: 1) Recruiter Phone screen - standard session to learn more about the company and the specific role I was applying for. 2) Technical Screen - part behavioral, part coding 3) On-Site consisting of 4 sessions - 2 coding, 1 systems design, 1 behavioral 4) Conversation with VP I received feedback promptly (after a day or two) after each round. All interviews were conducted virtually. The behavioral and VP rounds allowed a lot of time for me to ask questions

Interview Questions
  • 2 leet code hard problems system design discussion standard behavioral questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in Apr 2021

Interview

Interviewed for a language driver role. The process involved a code assessment which was fairly straight-forward yet getting any quality feedback on requirements during the process was jarring, with very clunky communication from start to end. I did not get a good impression.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Interviews