Monitor Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

3.6

37 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Monitor Group.

Interview

Monitor Deloitte MENA (Dubai)

First, I was invited to complete an online test, which was basic arithmetic and SAT math. The test was timed- you're given very little time (in the "couple of minutes" range- not the "one hour" that was publicized). Don't panic. You'll want to efficiently complete as many questions as possible (I didn't finish, but was able to get more than half right with complete confidence that they were all correct answers).
(Advice: Attend a webinar. Monitor Deloitte's Dubai office does offer one. It will help you receive this invitation.)

After a week, you'll be invited to a first round interview. Nothing difficult here- you'll have to complete a case study interview. Be sure to engage the interviewer with confidence and to explain and show your work, step-by-step, in an organized manner. (Your interviewer will collect your work.) My interviewer was kind enough to guide me at times, so exhibiting humility was essential. In addition to the case interview, there was a routine behavioral interview with the same interviewer. Be prepared to go over your resume, to explain your interest in consulting and in the specific office, and to articulate your strengths and interests.

Finally, after ~10 days, I was invited for a final interview in Boston.
This consisted of a group case study interview: you and a collection of fellow candidates have 30 minutes to read the same ~20 pages of literature consisting of emails, memos, charts, etc. You'll want to exhibit good time management, skim through literature, and take notes on important trends you've gathered through analyzing the data. A macro view of the company's situation will be key. Afterwards, each candidate will be assigned 3-5 unique questions pertaining to the case and will be given 15 minutes to prepare answers, which will be presented publicly to the group at-large. Each presentation lasts ~10 minutes with ~5 additional minutes of questioning. Use the white board as you would use your notepad during an individual case study- show key elements of your work- equations, diagrams, etc.- and circle your answers. Engage your peers, be confident, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Act as if they are your teammates.
(Advice 1: be sure you are answering the questions you've been assigned. It's very easy to accidentally answer others' assigned questions).
(Advice 2: take good notes in your pad; the interviewers claimed that they don't look at the notes, but it wasn't exactly clear that this was the case.
(Advice 3: don't be afraid to press your colleagues with questions- follow up on disagreements and don't beat around the bush! My group was very civil and kind to one another, and nobody wanted to truly challenge a colleague's argument or answer (in other words, nobody was an ultra-competitive tool). This actually bugged one of the senior interviewers! A more junior interviewer did not share his colleague's sentiments.)
Afterwards, you are treated to lunch- a great opportunity to chat with the other candidates. This was personally a great experience since the group of people I was with were very friendly and supportive of one another. The three interviewers who were taking notes at the group interview will pull each person out one-by-one for the behavioral part of the interview. You will take part in two-three behavioral interviews. You'll be asked to evaluate and critique your own performance. You'll also be asked typical cookie-cutter questions like "describe your strengths and weaknesses." Finally, be prepared to ask some questions.
(Advice: Pray that you don't get the last interview. One of my colleagues told me that they were almost forgotten, that their final interview consisted of little substance, and that they were rushed).

Overall, the interview process was a great learning experience. I thoroughly enjoyed my interviewers and the other candidates' company.

Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said of the HR Department of Monitor Deloitte's Dubai Office. While other major firms (e.g. McKinsey, Simon-Kucher, etc.) had the decency to follow-up with a personal call and with interview feedback in the same day or week, the Dubai office failed to send me any information re: my status. This happened despite a thank you note and an inquiry. After a month of silence, I called the firm with the given extension, and I learned the extension didn't exist. Then, I sent a kind email and received an automated reply- a denial- within a few hours. I received a second rejection email almost a month later. Such protocol is understandable after a 1st round interview, but minimal courtesy is to be expected after a final interview from an elite firm. Unfortunately, another candidate I know had the same distasteful experience with the Dubai office last year. (Fortunately, I've found through personal experience that the HR department in the U.S. offices is very responsive, timely, and considerate).

Interview Questions

• Why Monitor Deloitte? Why Monitor Deloitte in the Dubai office? What are your top strengths? What is a weakness you have? How do you think you did in the group interview presentation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Monitor Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Was contacted for a first round interview. Scheduled one, arrived at the office on time, waited around for 15 to 20 minutes. The person interviewing me was dressed very casually, he was very young, and was not the person I was told would be interviewing me. They handed me a case study, which was pretty difficult. They came back 20 minutes later, me and my interviewer talked about it, then he started asking the behavioral questions, especially focused on "Why Monitor" and what sets them apart. Then he talked about himself for a while. All and all left the interview feeling bad, it definitely didn't go as I wanted and I got the vibe that they didn't care about me at all. They didn't get back to me for over a month, and when I emailed them they apologized because they had misplaced my paperwork.

Interview Questions

• The Case Study was the hardest, the rest of the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Cambridge, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

The recruiters for Monitor were very energetic and personable. During the interview process, we were given a case study of around 10 pages consisting of a 4 pages worth of summary and 6 pages worth of graphs and charts. I was given 25 minutes to answer 3 questions within the 10 pg packet. When the interview started, the first question was about the quantitative section. I had oversimplified the quantitative question using assumptions from previous experience. The interviewer made me go over the entire quantitative question and walked me step by step, at that point I saw I had forfeited the interview from his tone. The interviewer was a industrial engineer from Georgia Tech, he seemed mild mannered and cerebral. Main point is to take the full time to nail the quantitative portion and to thoroughly read the summary within a confined time to allow for problem solving. Also, your notes will be taken up so its important for you to demonstrate organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Cambridge, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

I was initially contacted months ago, and asked if I was interested in coming in for an interview. The first interview occurred approximately three weeks ago.

The first interview started with a case interview. I was given ~30 minutes to review a packet of information (text and charts, ~15 pages) and a series of questions about that information. Following that time period, the interviewer returned and asked me to give answers to the questions, explaining my thought process in detail. Some of the questions were quantitative in nature, others were more qualitative. This case interview was then followed up by a 1 on 1 "fit" interview. (e.g. "Why consulting?" "Why Monitor?" etc.)

Approximately a week later, I was invited for a second interview and given detailed feedback from my first interview.

The second interview was a group interview, with approximately five candidates. We each reviewed identical packets of material for 30 minutes. We were then each given an individual packet of material to review for another 30 minutes (each individual had a unique individual packet which was related to the group material). Each candidate was then given ~15 minutes to present their individual material and the questions they were given. They also presented their answers, but solicited feedback from the other members of the group. Cooperation and collaboration is the name of the game for this group interview, not competition!

The group interview was then followed by a one-on-one interview with more "fit" style questions.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Cambridge, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

Overall it was a great experience to interview with Monitor Group. People were very nice, polite, and very relaxed, to the point where sometimes it felt like an informal conversation. Monitor really will test how good you can take feedback, and if you can improve upon the feedback received from first round.

FIRST ROUND. 1 hour long. It starts with 15 minutes of going through 2-3 pages of text, and about 5-6 slides in a laminated booklet, and attempt to answer 3-4 questions. After the 15 min are up the interviewer comes in and asks you to walk him/her through your answers to the questions. After the initial 15 minutes I had just finished reading the booklet and started answering the first question, so I got kinda nervous since I did not have good answers to the other questions. First questions is quant, and the other ones are qual. Try to STRUCTURE your approach to every question and be open about the information you are missing and what you would need to answer the question, then the interviewer can help you answer them. The name of the game here is "LET"S SEE HOW YOU THINK (how structured you are), AND WALK ME THROUGH YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS (communication skills, clear, concise). Last 15-20 min of fit/behavioral interview.

After a few days I was contacted for a final interview at their HQ.

FINAL ROUND. Group presentation. About 3 hours long. The name of this game is COOPERATION and TEAM WORK. Get to know the candidates before the interview starts. Give tips, be willing to receive tips. First 30 min everybody gets same laminated booklet of about 16 pages, with a a mix of text and charts (no questions yet). The next 30 minutes everybody gets 1-2 pages of a personalized section of the case, which also contains 3-4 questions that are exclusive to you. Take the time to read, understand, and prepare your presentation. Your section will probably be testing your weaknesses from the first round interview, so make sure you work on the feedback you get from the first round interviewer. After the first hour, everybody has 15 min to present and 3 min to prepare the board and for the team to read your section. Use the whole board, include the team on your analysis. BE A GOOD LEADER. YOU OWN YOUR 15 MIN. DON'T OVERPOWER THE CONVERSATION, BUT DON'T LET OTHERS DOMINATE YOUR PRESENTATION. Last 30 min spent on a one-on-one behavioral/feedback interview/session with a consultant.

Got offer a few days later.

Make sure you go through the case example Monitor has on its site. Know SPECIFICALLY why you want to work with Monitor and not other consulting firm. Monitor is very unique, so it's not that hard to find differences, but make sure you do your homework. And network, network, network.

Interview Questions

• Why Monitor? Why consulting?   Answer Question
    • What are the two things that you are more proud of on your resume? What has been the best experience, and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Cambridge, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

I applied through my school's recruiting website, and I got the interview. The interviewers were pleasant enough. The whole process was a bit intimidating since I did not understand the world of consulting or its interviews. The problem with the process was how automated everything seemed; I was just another interviewee in a pool of many interviewees. I don't think the employer got to really know me.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Monitor Group in October 2009.

Interview

Methodical. I was extremely excited about interviewing with Monitor group since it was my top 5 consulting choices. however, after the phone interview, I was left with questioning the choice of Monitor in my top 5. I was interviewing for one of the international locations and the interviewer left a lot to desire in terms of what a consultant actually does. THe person was unclear in his questions and I have been practicing case interviews for eternity now with success. I got unclear data as in the interviewer himself wasnt sure of data and the question. Overall even though i did come up with an answer, I had a feeling that I was being set up to fail.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Cambridge, MA) in June 2009.

Interview

Like most consulting companies Monitor uses a heavy case-based interview process. The most interesting dimension is having multiple candidates working collaboratively in a case and presenting together. Since these are likely competitors for the role, exposes interesting insights on candidates.

Interviewers are typically case team leaders, other consultants, and rarely a partner

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness   1 Answer

Negotiation

$100k base salary as a 2-year work experienced undergrad.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Monitor Group (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

I had a referral from a Managing Director. That put me in line for the first round interview. It was first a little overview interview, followed by a case interview. The second round a few weeks later, consisted of an individual case interview AND a group case interview. After the interview process there was a period of feedback (that I felt was very critical). I left thinking that they didn't like me, but I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Take this packet of information about a hot dog stand business and build a marketing plan and forecast financial performance.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Boston, MA) in January 2007.

Interview

Typical case interview, but with printing case materials instead of the traditional oral one. Interviewers appear to be nicer than peer companies, and they didn't turn on the pressure at the interview. Overall, I observe the company culture to be collegial but intellectually challenging during the interview process. Also, the interviews appear to be younger than average.

Interview Questions

• Market sizing of, say, soft drink   1 Answer