Monitor Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.6

Sort:

Consulting Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group (New York, NY) in February 2008.

Interview

Monitor Group is a very prestigious consulting firm, and I felt fortunate even to be allowed the opportunity to interview with them. I was told that the reason I was selected for a first round interview was because of my essay. The interviewer commented that I seemed eager to work specifically for Monitor and not just any consulting firm.

However, as an undergraduate from a state university, I was unprepared for the case interview. I bought, read, and studied "Case in Point," but it just was not enough. A couple of months later, I was back in New York and emailed my interviewer to see if she would be available to have coffee and relate some insight into having more successful interviews in the future. She said that I did great on the "personality/company fit" portion of the interview, but my performance on the case was not sufficient. She said that other interviewees from Wharton had been participating in prep groups for months. I did what I could but just did not have the kind of resources available to maximize my opportunity.

I will say this, though. I've since had many interviews with public accounting firms, and it was worth paying my own way to New York for a first round interview with Monitor just to have the experience. I did not receive an offer, or even a second round interview, but I reach a level of confidence that wouldn't otherwise be warranted.

Interview Questions

• The character evaluation questions were nothing especially difficult. Just the case. She asked the basics: Name something you have had to overcome during college? What are your strengths? etc.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

The interviewer put a packet in front of me, told me I had 20 minutes to finish it and then left. The packet was around ten pages in length, single spaced and full of charts and graphs. It was essentially a case study having to do with market sizing, but it was at least three times more difficult and more involved than the practice case they had online.

I was not able to finish one of the questions; time ran out, and one of the key elements for completing the quantitative analysis was located in a footnote on one of the graphs, which I happened not to see. After the twenty minutes were up, the interviewer came back in and went over the case with me, listening to my answers and walking me through the parts that I missed. Following this, he gave me a personal interview asking traditional questions about my personality and educational/work background.

In the end, the interviewer called me personally to tell me that he was not going to be able to extend me an offer for a second round interview. He said that because I was a liberal arts major, the pressure was really on me to perform outstandingly in the quantitative section of the interview, and although the parts I finished were correct, I didn't finish the analysis, and other people did. He gave me positive feedback on the rest of my interview and then we ended our conversation.

Interview Questions

• How much profit does the company generate from the revenue totals for selling shoes that you found in the previous question?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Washington, DC) in December 2009.

Interview

My interview consisted of two rounds. In the first round, I interviewed with one current employee where she took me through a series of questions that were strategic in nature, but did not necessarily go through a whole case study. In the second round, I was placed in a group case study in which we had 1 hour to prepare our answers and 15 minutes to present. Each one of us took a turn at presenting a specific aspect of the case. The group session was followed by a one-on-one and our personal review of the case process.

Interview Questions

• One of the more memorable questions the interviewer asked me was "Who in the group do you think deserves it the most to get a job at Monitor? Who do you think deserves it the least?"   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monitor Group in March 2011.

Interview

Invited to interview at their NY office. Case interview. When I met my interviewer, I tried to engage in small talk for 5 min, proved difficult - she seemed uninterested - then got the lowdown on how the case would go, 15 min to read it on my own, and then a 30 min discussion of the case with her, which was unpleasant - she didn't seem interested in my success. I did stumble several times, and I was not a business student, but she could have been far more willing to work with me, I walked away feeling.

Interview Questions

• What kind of new products could reverse the decline of this company's profits?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Chicago, IL) in February 2010.

Interview

First round interview is one hour. You are given a written packet with 15 minutes to read through and answer a few questions. The interviewer then enters the room and questions you on the case. The final half hour is general behavioral and resume questions.

The final round interview day consists of two interviews. The first interview is a group case exercise. You are brought to a conference room with 4 or 5 other prospectives and given a business case to read (30 minutes). Then, each person is given an individual problem to work on (30 minutes). A few interviewers enter the room, and observe each group member takes a turn leading a discussion around their individual problem. The goal of this exercise is to recreate a case team environment. This is followed by a 45 minute break, and an individual feedback interview.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Cambridge, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

1 hour interview. They give you a case study based off of one the company has actually done and you have one analytical (math) question and two more holistic ones. You get a really crappy elementary school calculator and a lot of information- more than you can process in 15 min. They come back in and ask you to walk through your thinking- I got the sense that it was about whether the numbers were close, but behind that, really whether your methodology was right and how you approached the question. How do you view the market, why do you see this firm as a competitor and this firm as not one? Etc etc.

Interview Questions

• (After having said the acquisition would be profitable.) Can you give me any arguments against what you just recommended?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, one 1:1 case study and one final round group case study. Straight forward case studies.

Interview Questions

• Detail oriented questioning requires careful attention to cases presented.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2009.

Interview

1st round: On campus interview that consisted mainly of a case study. Interviewer leaves you in a room with a written case packet containing 4 pages of written material and several pages of graphs. Must answer a quantitative question as well as two qualitative ones. An example case can be found on their website.

2nd round: At the office interview that consisted mainly of a group interview. Four candidates will receive the same packet of information and be given some time to read it. Then everyone gets more data and their own questions to answer. You must present to the entire group of candidates (Monitor employees only watch quietly).

Interview Questions

• Quantitative and qualitative questions that build off each other.   Answer Question

Case Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Very friendly and very helpful. This is probably the one place that I really enjoyed the whole interview process

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Boston, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

I interviewed here for a position as an Engineer. The atmosphere was friendly and the people were very skilled. I met key members of various teams and overtime, felt at home as an employee. It was a great interview and a good place to work. Everyone was treated with respect. Everyone was approachable and teams collaborated frequently. If you ever get the chance to, consider this place - you will not regret it.

I approve.

Negotiation

It was straight forward.