Monitor Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.7

Digital Strategy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Monitor Group (London, England (UK)).

Interview

1st round: two associates over one hour. Part of it is a personal interview (Why consulting? Why us? Why you? Tell us about yourself). Some competency questions on how I handled certain situations in my previous jobs. Another part is a presentation you have to give on a topic that was determined in advance of the interview and you had to prepare for the day. My topic was: what is digital? Finally, a market sizing exercise on the size of the academic ebook market in the UK. Also had a personality test to complete from home (if your friend was rude to someone, would you point it out to him? Is it ethical to drive a luxury car?)

2nd round: a manager and a director over one hour. Part of it is a personal interview (similar to the above) and part of it is another market sizing exercise. My case was to estimate the number of potential customers for an innovative online business.

3rd round: a partner over one hour. Only personal / competency questions. Was more of a conversation about my previous experience and future aspirations rather than an interview. No business case. Rather relaxed atmosphere.

Unfortunately I never heard back from them after the 3rd round.
    Overall it was a good experience as the people were of quite a high calibre, yet nonetheless down to earth and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting? Why us? Why you? Tell us about yourself   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a 45 minutes case followed with a 45 minutes behaviour interview. Very standard behaviour questions. The case was a standard profitability problem with 8-9 exhibits. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• One slide to show your findings to the client, what would you put on there?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Monitor Group in September 2015.

Interview

Interviewing process was in 2 stages. First stage was a combination of a case interview and a behavioral interview. Case interview was reasonably simple and the interviewer was very helpful and encouraging. The objective of the case was to determine which company could be acquired among the options. Behavioral interview was pretty standard. Second round was a day long marathon. Comprising of 1 group case interview lasting 3 hours, where we interview with the other candidates and the ability to work in a team is assessed with the problem solving skills. One individual written case interview. Two behavioral interview. The chat in behavioral interview could go in any direction based on your background what the interviewer find interesting in your profile. The interviewers are very friendly, helpful and made a sincere effort to know us.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why do you think that consulting is good fit for you, biggest strengths and weaknesses, why monitor deloitte, why corporate strategy   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

On-campus recruiting. Process took 2-ish weeks. Assigned an interview buddy to help with the process.
    Before first-rounds, we had drinks and appetizers with interviewers.
    First rounds were 3 rounds, 45-minutes each
    Round 1: Written Case. You get a booklet with a case inside and 30 minutes to draw up "slides" to present to the interviewer answering 3 main questions. Walk them through your thought process. They will ask you questions about your calculations and drawings.
    Round 2: Oral case. Standard consulting case. They used a lot of graphs and charts.
    Round 3: Behavioural. Standard behavioural, tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume, give me a time when... Very question and answer focused. Turns into a bit of conversation.

Second rounds were held at the Toronto office. You go to dinner the night before with some current staff and all the people interviewing with you.
    You go through a group case for 2 hours and then four 45-minute behaviourals with partners. All the behaviourals turn into conversations. The group case is odd. It's another written case booklet and then you collaborate to develop a solution and pitch as a group to "senior executives."

Had a lot of fun. Felt very supported throughout the entire process. Constantly people to ask questions to and have help out.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting? Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer

Graduate Jobs Interview

Interview

Last year after completing all of Monitor's online assessments I was informed that I had been successful and would be invited to interview. Several weeks later I was told that I would no longer be invited to interview for unspecified reasons but could look forward to being fast tracked to the final round the coming year - great...

This year after not hearing anything until very late in the recruitment cycle I contacted Monitor - a grumpy employee told me that 'obviously' due to staff changeovers and programme alterations the fast track offer no longer stood, thereupon I made an application at the last minute.

Eventually I was invited to a first round interview. The email mentioned nothing about expenses, so I assumed I would be paying and so I took the cheapest form of transport possible when usually I would get the train, the interview was not held in their offices - they didn't explain this until we arrived on site at a venue (slightly confusing as we had all assumed we would visit the office.) The first round went well, the consultants are very nice - lots of CV questions and chatter. The idea was that at lunch some of us who didn't make the cut would be sent home, this was meant to be a phone cal at lunch but this didn't happen. We all returned to the room as a group and the HR worker said they would call us out one by one to tell us whether we could go home, after calling out the first guy the HR worker returned to the room giggling and said 'none of you need to go home, I didn't know how to get rid of him, how awkward'etc. The second round went well, as others have mentioned it involved reading around 20 graphs in 20 minutes, understanding the info and then reading your own question for an additional 20 minutes and basing a solution on one of the graphs. Monitor employees told us that this was the same case they had been using for 10 years and in fact consultants assessing us had entered the company years before with the exact case pack...

Anyway, most consultancies get back to you with an answer and feedbakc within a week. Monitor said they would need two weeks and get back to us on Friday. I heard nothing and say the following Friday after the deadline passed I considered calling them but their phone number is not displayed on any email headers so I did not bother. The friday after that I called them as it had been a month since interview and after a switchboard bounced my call through 4 people I got hold of the answering machine of the relevant worker. I left her a message, when I did not hear back the following week I called again and got no further, the following friday I called again to no avail. The week after that I received an obscure message with no mention of how my interview had gone, it merely stated:

"Please can you kindly visit our website, see below all our Consulting options available, kindly let me know your first and second choice in place of Monitor Deloitte, as we will not be able to progress further with your application in this area:...."

I emailed back with preferences and asked about feedback and was told first rounders do not get feedback, I then suggested that I should as I made the second round, I am still waiting for expenses too so asked about that.

Anyway, this has been by far the worst HR team I have ever dealt with - blunder after blunder, it is unclear why Monitor or Deloitte would be able to consult others if they cannot keep their own house in order.

Associate Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

3-4 Rounds. First one was phone interview.. 2nd ad 3rd round was case study round with couple of interview questions. Final round was a HR Round.
    HR is extremely slow. You had to follow up for weeks to get one interview scheduled. For each round, after interview the result was not communicated for weeks.. almost a month until you followed up. It seemed like they didn't have a need as such.The interviewer was not on time and was late by almost an hour, interviewer came in after the case study was completed.

Senior Consultant Interview

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, both on site and with consultants / partners. No interaction with HR other than to set up the logistics
    1st round: 3 interviewer-led case interviews one on one, typical to other consulting firms
    2nd round: group discussion, presentation, role play, and again 1 (or 2) case interviews

Internship Interview

Application

Interview

Very easy and efficient process - however scheduling took a while. 2 cases to work on individually for 30 min, followed by 40 min questioning time by 2 consultants

Interview Questions

• Connecting the different information in the exhibits and the text - careful analysis through the application of the framework
      Cases are structured with 'traps' so a note of caution look at the variables to consider with great detail in order to not rap up too many mistakes   Answer Question

Full Time Graduate Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Monitor Group (London, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

Aptitude tests followed by e-tray and written exercise. 1st interview consisted of group case study and 1 on 1 interview.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monitor Group (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

Initial shortlisting followed by a Group case interview followed by a one-on-one case interview followed by individual fit interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation