Moody's Associate Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

66 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Lengthy, Comprehensive interview process with very technical questions. You should prepare by reading the appropriate group's methodology. You will meet with three managers and the MD for the team if you are interviewing for any position up to Senior Analyst.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online in October 2016 with a CV and cover letter. I was then invited to complete two online tests: SHL verbal and numerical. The next stage involved two further tests: Excel and Accounting (familiarise self with accounting concepts, double entry bookkeeping). I was then invited to interview in December 2016 which involved basic competency questions and about the company itself. The final stage was an assessment centre which involved a face-to-face interview with 2 analysts, a written test (write as quickly as possible whilst still making sense!), a group exercise, a numerical test (SHL) and an accounting test (cash flow balance sheet etc).

Interview Questions

• Macro economic questions (familiarise self with current events), financial ratio questions (specific to credit analysis), competency based and about Moody's methodologies.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through the website for the EMEA AA3 graduate scheme. The process is standard for financial institutions. First step is to submit your CV, then to complete online tests (math, verbal, accounting, excel), then phone interview, and finally the AC.

Work on you accounting (financial ratios, balance sheet, cash flow etc.) and macroeconomics (interest rates, monetary policy, balance of payment etc.). Read thoroughly the methodologies online. Moody's AC is more competitive than usual, with a 5 to 1 ratio of offer holders.

HR could improve by reducing lag time between AC and offer (almost accepted another offer as I had to wait over one month to hear back, with no communication in between).

Interview Questions

• 1. What does a rating stand for?
      2. How would you go at analysing company A?
      etc.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Moody's (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in April 2014.

Interview

Was invited by HR to their Super Day along with 5 other candidates
    Interview was organised as an intensive round-the-robin 1 on 1 between each analyst and candidate
    Interview questions from analysts were varied;
    Some were relatively laid back and just asked basic finance/hypothetical questions - others were extremely hard core and asked very technical accounting questions.

Interview Questions

• What are the key qualitative and quantitative factors that you would use to analyse a company's financial performance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in May 2011.

Interview

Mountain out of a molehill, shall I call it. I interviewed with the whole team - another Associate Analyst, 3 VPs, 1 team lead, 1 MD and 1 HR person. There was also an accounting test to top it off. Keep in mind, this was for £36k job with little growth potential (as it turned out later). I was asked questions about the relevant banking system I was applying for, we touched on bank rating methodologies, and more broadly how my previous experience can relate to the job. My only advise is -> read the relevant methodology as the expectations for Associate Analysts are very low and reading this document ahead of the nterview will put you miles ahead of others (after about a year I had a chance to interview there other Associate Analysts so I know what people bring to the table and it is not much).

Interview Questions

• Please describe how you would assess credit risks associated with a structured product?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You can negotiate about 10% higher salary, although this will depend on what offer you were given in the first place, as they seem to operate within bounds as per some other salaries submitted on Glassdoor.

Associate Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Moody's (Sydney (Australia)) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with the representative, received questions regarding personality, accounting and finance knowledge, from the basic ones such as what EBITDA is, to what's in a cash flow. There's also a scenario question that requires you to use a bit of creativity and basic knowledge.

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's in March 2017.

Interview

Moody's outsources the HR team. The recruiter was very nice and patient. They needs candidates with strong quantitative and programming skills. Finance knowledge is not mandatory.

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moody's in January 2017.

Interview

My overall impression of this firm worsened through the whole process. On the one hand they require you to do a lot of tests -- a reading and math test (first stage) as well as an excel and accounting test (second stage). I have not had any other application process for such a junior role that has cost so much time before you even get the chance to talk to a recruiter. On the other hand, when then finally talking to HR at the phone they simply go through their questionnaire and type in your answers while speaking with you. There is no real interest in really getting to know you, despite the fact that you already comitted so much of your time. In my case, the connection interrupted in the middle of the interview. Besides that, they make contradictory statements concerning the beginning of the programme and the deadline of your tests. Overall, I am not unhappy that it did not work out. I just regret the time I put into this.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's.

Interview

7 people in total, pretty quick. I got through referral. The HR team will negotiate down your salary and title. Be careful! Be familiar with methodology and get prepared. Questions are not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• What's data? How we rate transactions? What do you know about our rating process and what do you think of this industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiter. Completed first round of interviews on site at the New York office, invited back for second round. Interviewed with 4 different people the first time, 5 the second time. Process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe the line items on an income statement. What is the difference between free cash flow and EBITDA? Basic behavioral questions. Why Moody's, etc.   Answer Question