Moody's Associate Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.8

66 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Moody's (Sydney (Australia)) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with the representative, received questions regarding personality, accounting and finance knowledge, from the basic ones such as what EBITDA is, to what's in a cash flow. There's also a scenario question that requires you to use a bit of creativity and basic knowledge.

Associate Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Lengthy, Comprehensive interview process with very technical questions. You should prepare by reading the appropriate group's methodology. You will meet with three managers and the MD for the team if you are interviewing for any position up to Senior Analyst.

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's in March 2017.

Interview

Moody's outsources the HR team. The recruiter was very nice and patient. They needs candidates with strong quantitative and programming skills. Finance knowledge is not mandatory.

Associate Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online in October 2016 with a CV and cover letter. I was then invited to complete two online tests: SHL verbal and numerical. The next stage involved two further tests: Excel and Accounting (familiarise self with accounting concepts, double entry bookkeeping). I was then invited to interview in December 2016 which involved basic competency questions and about the company itself. The final stage was an assessment centre which involved a face-to-face interview with 2 analysts, a written test (write as quickly as possible whilst still making sense!), a group exercise, a numerical test (SHL) and an accounting test (cash flow balance sheet etc).

Interview Questions

• Macro economic questions (familiarise self with current events), financial ratio questions (specific to credit analysis), competency based and about Moody's methodologies.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through the website for the EMEA AA3 graduate scheme. The process is standard for financial institutions. First step is to submit your CV, then to complete online tests (math, verbal, accounting, excel), then phone interview, and finally the AC.

Work on you accounting (financial ratios, balance sheet, cash flow etc.) and macroeconomics (interest rates, monetary policy, balance of payment etc.). Read thoroughly the methodologies online. Moody's AC is more competitive than usual, with a 5 to 1 ratio of offer holders.

HR could improve by reducing lag time between AC and offer (almost accepted another offer as I had to wait over one month to hear back, with no communication in between).

Interview Questions

• 1. What does a rating stand for?
      2. How would you go at analysing company A?
      etc.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moody's in January 2017.

Interview

My overall impression of this firm worsened through the whole process. On the one hand they require you to do a lot of tests -- a reading and math test (first stage) as well as an excel and accounting test (second stage). I have not had any other application process for such a junior role that has cost so much time before you even get the chance to talk to a recruiter. On the other hand, when then finally talking to HR at the phone they simply go through their questionnaire and type in your answers while speaking with you. There is no real interest in really getting to know you, despite the fact that you already comitted so much of your time. In my case, the connection interrupted in the middle of the interview. Besides that, they make contradictory statements concerning the beginning of the programme and the deadline of your tests. Overall, I am not unhappy that it did not work out. I just regret the time I put into this.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's.

Interview

7 people in total, pretty quick. I got through referral. The HR team will negotiate down your salary and title. Be careful! Be familiar with methodology and get prepared. Questions are not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• What's data? How we rate transactions? What do you know about our rating process and what do you think of this industry?   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's in December 2016.

Interview

My experience was typical from what I've read here. I initially applied to a lower level position but the recruiter called me and said I'd be a better fit for the AA role. Phone screen with a lead analyst and then was called in for a superday at their office in NYC. People were late, the order of interviewers was not true to schedule, people dropped off and were replaced, and I also had a 2:1 screen. Interviewers ranged from engaged and personable to disinterested and standoffish. The company outsources its HR group, and everything is overall disorganized and felt chaotic. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of personnel that met with me, though an offer never came.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiter. Completed first round of interviews on site at the New York office, invited back for second round. Interviewed with 4 different people the first time, 5 the second time. Process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe the line items on an income statement. What is the difference between free cash flow and EBITDA? Basic behavioral questions. Why Moody's, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Moody's (New York, NY).

Interview

Honestly? This company should be completely embarrassed by how their HR is run. This isn't my first time applying at Moody's but it will certainly be my last; this is my third time to have such a negative experience that I felt obligated to write a post on glass door and forewarn people.

They outsource their HR; who are so disorganized and vague it's amazing. A few years ago I spent half a day interviewing at Moody's and the HR rep couldn't be bothered to answer any of my followup emails are calls. Similar experience the second time. This time around, I was invited to an onsite interview, only to promptly be told via email two days later that they went with another candidate.

Company should def be aware the poor treatment but their recruitment people is a solid strategy to lose solid candidates - I will not be applying again, and honestly, I think that's Moody's loss.

Interview Questions

• Typical gov't debt questions   1 Answer