Moody's Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated May 6, 2017

3.2

Financial Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First contact with HR on the telephone, later invited to a board style interview with manager and two FDAs. Later took two tests on accounting and financial statements. What goes where style. Know your accounts. Final interview with the head manager, general questions informal.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Pretty standard interview format with a telephone call from HR, were we agreed on a interview with two interviewers and a testing session. HR was friendly at the beginning however once i emailed and called them about questions about the interview process they subsequently started ignoring me.
    At the interview with two senior members of the Associate Banking RRS Team who were friendly and professional. Unfortunately their limited competence in english meant that they could not formulate precise questions. Which led to misunderstandings and me answering incorrectly and too time spent asking for clarification. The next day i received an automated email that stated they would not proceed with my application even if i had my testing session confirmed. I was disappointed that i did not at least get a quick call and some feedback about why my application was rejected before the first stage was even completed.

Interview Questions

• What kind of pressure do banks face in terms of generating costs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online in October 2016 with a CV and cover letter. I was then invited to complete two online tests: SHL verbal and numerical. The next stage involved two further tests: Excel and Accounting (familiarise self with accounting concepts, double entry bookkeeping). I was then invited to interview in December 2016 which involved basic competency questions and about the company itself. The final stage was an assessment centre which involved a face-to-face interview with 2 analysts, a written test (write as quickly as possible whilst still making sense!), a group exercise, a numerical test (SHL) and an accounting test (cash flow balance sheet etc).

Interview Questions

• Macro economic questions (familiarise self with current events), financial ratio questions (specific to credit analysis), competency based and about Moody's methodologies.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through the website for the EMEA AA3 graduate scheme. The process is standard for financial institutions. First step is to submit your CV, then to complete online tests (math, verbal, accounting, excel), then phone interview, and finally the AC.

Work on you accounting (financial ratios, balance sheet, cash flow etc.) and macroeconomics (interest rates, monetary policy, balance of payment etc.). Read thoroughly the methodologies online. Moody's AC is more competitive than usual, with a 5 to 1 ratio of offer holders.

HR could improve by reducing lag time between AC and offer (almost accepted another offer as I had to wait over one month to hear back, with no communication in between).

Interview Questions

• 1. What does a rating stand for?
      2. How would you go at analysing company A?
      etc.
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's in January 2017.

Interview

I took the 15 minute phone interview with a member of HR, and it was not what I expected it to be so I want to make sure other people know what to expect!

I was expecting a relatively straight forward compentency based interview, as many others on here have said that is what it consists of; however that is not what happened! They will predominantly ask you what you know about Moody's and why you want to work there (not unusual, however for me this was almost the full 15 minutes, so you need to be well read up at this stage already, i.e. have more than 5 minutes worth of material on them!).

Unfortunately the official Moody's website for the graduate scheme does not have a lot of details on it about what to expect at each stage so I was relatively unprepared for this as I had relied on other reviews on here, which are possibly outdated.

Interview Questions

• In 4 minutes describe you education history and relevant work experience.
      Tell me what you know about what Moody's does.
      Describe the structure of Moody's and what each department does.
      Explain Moody's history and ethos, etc.
      Tell me about why you applied to this role at Moody's.
      How does this role fit in with your 5 year career plan?

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's in January 2017.

Interview

First I applied online, only with CV and Cover letter.
    Then I have been selected to do a numerical and verbal reasoning test online: they were not too hard, similar to others I had done before.
    Once I passed that phase I have done an accounting and excel test online. The accounting test was multiple choice based and it did not require a deep knowledge of the subject. The excel one was tricky as the platform accepts only a specific set of commands, but on excel there are numerous ways to perform the same function.
    Then I got the 15 minutes phone interview. A very kind woman called me for the interview, she was very nice throughout the call.

Interview Questions

• Q1: How do you think your studies prepared you for the position you are applying for in Moody's Graduate Program?
      Q2: What do you know about the company?
      Q3: Which are its 2 main businesses?
      Q4: How do you think Moody's would help you to develop towards your career goals?
      Q5: DO you have questions about the program?

Financial Data Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

got a prescreen e-mail, first e-mail to arrange a call and the final phone interview. Only fit questions probably because of the simple plain data entry character of the position

Interview Questions

• walk me through your resume...
      why do you want to wark for moody's
      simple fit questions, no technicals

Financial Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The HR department in the Canary Wharf, London office was unprofessional and disorganised for a company with such a long-standing reputation such as Moody's.

After the round of interviews at their office in Canary Wharf, they told me they would call me to let me know in the upcoming week. They never called me back, and I emailed them a reminder, and they replied me back that they were still interviewing and they would come to a closure by next week and would let me know about their decision.

A month passed by without no news, and I called them back just to hear from the HR lady that I got positive feedback from the interviews, and the test results were good, but they selected another candidate.

I tried to gather some constructive feedback for myself, but she couldn't even tell me what my application and performance lacked in comparison to the chosen candidate. They seemed a very disorganised company.

Interviewing Process:
    1st Stage - Phone Interview with two persons.
    2nd and Final stage - 2 interviews and a test at their office in Canary Wharf.

Interview Questions

• Typical competency questions:
      Why the Role?
      When was the last time you were challenged by someone and how did you dealt with it ?

Communications Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied via Linkedin, received a call from HR close to a month after. HR associate asked for my salary expectations arranged a phone call with hiring manager a week later. After interview with hiring manager, two in-person interviews were held a week later with the managing directors of the team. Received call from HR to confirm that I was one of the final candidates being considered, and that they would let me know within the next week and they made their deadline. I was surprised at HR's professionalism, this was the first time I didn't go through a nail-biting process of waiting; HR called promptly to provide updates at every stage of the hiring process. From submission of the application to signing the offer, this took approximately two months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered a higher pay than what I asked for, and accepted the offer.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Moody's (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Total application process post-deadline took around 4 months, consisted of numerical and verbal SHL testing, a general accountancy online test, a business letter compose test, a 15 min HR phone interview and finally an assessment centre (test repeats, group exercise, interview)

Interview Questions

• 2on1 - Mainly focused on business line tasks, terminology questions, sources of risk affecting rating, macro factors, situational/behavioural questions on team work, problem solving, work motivation - very friendly interviewers and good conversational flow   Answer Question