Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 29, 2017

2.9

79 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

1.) General Reasoning Test - online, 25 minutes timed. 2.) Financial Advisor Assessment - online. 3.) 15-minute phone screen with member of WM recruiting team. 4.) Digital interview - 30 minutes, 7 days to complete. 5.) Local office contacts you to schedule 15-minute phone call with Branch Manager. 6.) 30-minute in-person interview at the branch office. 7.) Potential follow-ups. It seems mostly up to the candidate whether they get an offer or not depending on how much effort they want to put in to convince the interviewers that this job is their be all end all. The two people I interviewed with were professional and easy to talk to - it was evident that they were experienced at having conversations with people about their goals and plans.

Quantitative skills are only an initial formality (pass the licensing exams) and salesmanship and random luck in having wealthy connections sounded to be key for this position. There is a constant push in every conversation to get your HNWI contacts. The feeling I get from this office (maybe it is just the mindset of this industry) is that there is less interest in finding a successful fit for the role than to exploit a candidate for their wealthy connections. The model seems to be weighted heavily to those who are already wealthy or connected to the wealthy and are not necessarily hungry to succeed. Strange pipeline.

There's an almost 90% failure rate for FAs perhaps indicating the hiring model could use some tweaking. Consider whether hiring someone who may know wealthy people but frequently fails has much motivation to succeed in something so challenging. Compare that person against someone who may not have many/any wealthy connections but has a history of succeeding in difficult situations. That is an indicator that the person is driven to not fail and will most likely dedicate themselves to do whatever it takes to succeed in their commitments.

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, NJ

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Lawrenceville, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

Process is rigorous. Online assessments, phone interview, video interview, then an in person interview. The position is marekted as entry level, but without a degree or previous experience, you will not get the offer according to the branch manager in Lawrenceville, NJ.

Interview Questions

• How would you build your network?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward. Digital interview was something new for me and questions are mainly behavioral. I'm not sure that requiring young financial advisors to have a current network or you fail is the best way to go about things.

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Interview

Initially a call from the HR Recruiter, she went over more of the basic questions about previous employment and why Morgan Stanley. Then a call with the Business Development Manager, which he provided information on how the role worked and sent a business plan to be completed. Once they found the business plan to be sufficient, they followed by an in-person interview with the Branch Manager and Business Development Manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Short Hills, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online after which there was an initial phone screen. Next was a one-on-one phone call with the Associate Complex Manager followed by an in person meeting with him and the branch manager. During the process I had to complete a business plan as well as a 30 minute recorded online interview.

Interview Questions

• What would be your three primary target markets and what is the reasonable dollar amount in each you would be able to successfully acquire?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

3 rounds of interview
    Screening, folllowed by interview with supervisor and then supervisor of hiring manager
    The process was relaxed, generally revolved around background and fit with the role.
    They hire in batches (across all locations in the country), they're comgnizant that many will not make it through the training stage - 3 years.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Montgomery, AL) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job online and was prompt to complete a 25 question logic test. The test honestly caught me off guard, was not too challenging as long as you don't over think it. After that I took a day in the life of a FA test, that was pretty easy since it was similar to my time working at a bank. I received an email stating that I passed the tests and would receive a call with a recruiter for a 15 minute interview. The interview was pretty weird and the recruiter seems uninterested and honestly I felt like I could have said anything and he would have moved me on to the next stage. After we talked he said he will forward me to the next process which is with the branch manager and it could take up to 4-6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Name three markets you plan on targeting to build your book of business   1 Answer
    • Why Morgan Stanley   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Orlando, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

The staff were extremely friendly and inviting. I had to complete a application, online assessment, phone interview, business plan, and a panel interview for consideration. In the end I was not able to land the position because my network was insufficient to bring in $5 million of revenue per year.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was very personable. Those involved took their time in not only making me feel comfortable, but also the opportunity for me to ask any questions. I appreciated the transparency of the process. Right now, I am in the process of making a decision.

Interview Questions

• Asked me questions about how Morgan could make me feel comfortable, instead of what I think I could bring to them.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2016.

Interview

I am currently in the process. Applied online and received an email for a digital interview a week after. Prepare yourself for this interview because it is not like a conversation but you will have to answer some questions that will be recorded.

Interview Questions

• Usually questions about a experience you had and how impacted you or how you overcome them.   Answer Question