Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2016

2.7

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online then took an online test. It was an easy test that looked into how well you found number patterns. After two weeks I had a phone interview about basic questions, such as explain a time when you had a dissatisfied customer. One month later i had an interview with the office manager. The next step is to fill out a business plan and submit it.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had a dissatisfied customer.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Syracuse, NY).

Interview

Very long interview process. I started with apply for the position on their website. About a month later I was contacted to complete the online testing. Part of the texting related to the series examinations to conclude if you would have the ability to pass the licensing. The other portion was more along the lines of personality and skills testing.

I followed up with several people to hear nothing back. About a month later, I was contacted by the Branch Manager, who wanted to speak with me on the phone. It was an interview over the phone. Basically selling myself, showing confidence. Meanwhile he discussed my testing results. I was then invited to an in-person interview. I was required to bring a business plan.

I went to the first in-person interview. This was very high stress. It lasted about an hour and ended with him setting a timer for about 2 minutes and told me to sell myself on why I should be hired for this position and what do I have versus the competition. After the interview concluded I was then invited to another interview at a larger office.

During the interview I was informed that the first few years could be working on average 80 hours a week. He stated when he would leave the office, I would be expected to stay. After giving the position some thought, I declined the interview. Working 80 hours per week would be extremely difficult for myself at this point in my life.

Interview Questions

• You will be dealing with many clients who are older than you. Treat me like one of those clients and explain to me what kind of life experiences you have that would allow me to trust in you to invest my life time savings.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

easy interview, 1 month process, 1 phone interview, if you pass you have to send your project for business plan, and then the final interview,

Negotiation

real easy

Anonymous Employee in Vero Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Vero Beach, FL).

Interview

First interview is meet and greet with branch manager. 2nd interview is a panel interview with 2 other advisors. last interview is with the complex business development manager or the complex manager. be prepared.

Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Orland Park, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

The interview process was conversational, speaking about your experience, manager tries to get a feeling for your abilities and match. The branch manager was honest that this profession is difficult. Though the 90% failure rate did not come up in the interview.

Interview Questions

• What in your experience makes you a good candidate for this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation did not appear to be an option as I was new to the field. I would suggest asking how they help you gain clients and meet production goals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Telephone interview with general questions about what my experience etc. then an extensive online test. The test was not what I expected and was kind of confusing. I was called for an interview so I must have passed the test. In the interview I was asked general interview questions and I was given a week to write a business plan. In the final interview we talked about the business plan and that if I have friends who can sign up with me. I realized that I don't have that many....so I said good bye.

Interview Questions

• On average how much your family or friends would invest?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Interview

Met with branch manager and regional manager for a fit interview. About one month later, went through a formal interview. I was then sent a link for 2 online exams--one quantitative (designed to gauge ability to pass Series 7) and one logic-based exam. Two weeks later, I was asked to complete a business plan detailing who I planned on targeting to bring in assets and how I planned to go about it. A month later, I was called back to go over my business plan and was given a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Why should people trust your with their money?
      What are you going to do when your list of contacts runs out?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

I completed a series of online assessments and questions. I was invited to a luncheon and then, I was asked to complete a business plan. This lead to an in-person interview with one of the most conceited, ill-informed "managers" I've ever meet. He kept telling that he fired people regularly. He could not stop mentioning that when they joined the firm no one had done the amount of business that they had prior. He asked me to adjust a small part of my business plan.

Interview Questions

• After reading my business plan while I sat there, They asked me the name of a well-known organization that I am a part of. I just used the groups acronym. It is a group that people in his position are normally very familiar with. When I realized that he did not know who they were, I fought back the urge to ask if he was serious.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Punta Gorda, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Punta Gorda, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online to their application. I then received a phone call to schedule an interview. I interviewed a few days later for an hour and then was offered the position after the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Washington, DC).

Interview

Went to a seminar where one of the managers spoke about how hard it was to get a job at Morgan Stanley. I applied and had 4 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• After having an interview with the sales manager, she wanted me to email her a business plan within 2 days.   Answer Question

Negotiation

not much negotiation