Morgan Stanley Analyst - Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morgan Stanley Analyst - Technology Interview Questions

Interviews at Morgan Stanley

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

1st round at University campus
1 hour interview. It was great. Lots of technical qs: SQL, datastructures, Java basics etc. (Be clear and confident)

2nd Interview Onsite in NYC
A panel discussion taking questions and answering generic questions
Team building activity. Very chilled out
3 rounds of 1:1 interviews 45 mins each. Very intense, extremely technical. The last 1:1 interview was disappointing for me. The interviewer did not speak English properly and maybe thats why wasnt getting what I am saying. He kept asking me questions and when I gave a solution, maybe he did not understand and repeated the same solution as hints to me. This must be the down point for my interview.

Interview Questions

• Completely technical, lots of basics, lots of algorithm problems - graphs, datastructures etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I received an invitation from a campus recruiter to apply to the 2017 Full Time Technology Program in New York. The recruiter was contacting me from Piazza.

After applying, they reviewed my resume within a week and a different recruiter emailed me asking for my availability for a phone interview on the Friday 3 days from when the email was sent. I gave her a range and suggested a few days in the following week. The phone interview time was selected for Friday. This recruiter kept our communication for the rest of the process.

I received a call from an Executive Director. Looking at her LinkedIn, she's held 3 positions at Morgan Stanley during her 16 years there. Previously, she was VP, and before that, she was an Associate, developing in C++ and Java. She asked me a STAR question and a couple of trivial technical questions.

The following Monday, I was congratulated for being selected for Assessment Center interviews on Thursday by Wall Street. I was going to be in Seattle that week, so I asked to postpone the onsite interviews. On Wednesday, I received a second invite for the following Tuesday, this time by Columbus Circle. I was asked to arrive by 12:45pm, but no later than 12:45pm and dress code was business formal.

When I arrived, I was seated alphabetically in a room on the 5th floor with maybe 25 potential candidates. Here, we were provided cold, dry pizza, potato chips, soda, water, and probably Entenmann's. We had a panel discussion with employees that were hired through this track that we were interviewing for. This was a good time to ask all sorts of informal questions.

Next, we went to an auditorium on the 4th floor and we were divided into teams. Each team was to build a bridge using gummy bears and toothpicks. We had a "mentor" for this activity, but he only took notes of our activity and asked questions. This didn't seem too serious, but just in case, they were probably looking for distributed workflow, and extensibility.

Finally, the actual interviews. In the same room, we were assigned 3 Software Engineers to rotate with and they each asked us coding questions.

At 5:15, we were done, and we filled out a survey listing our top 5 skills, confirming that we heard of this position from Piazza, and one more question. We were told that we will hear back with a decision within 2-3 weeks.

Behold! 8 business days and I received a sweet offer over the phone. I might have been able to log in to the application site to view the letter since the call, but I received an email letting me know that I could do so about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenge you faced with this project.
      What is inheritance, polymorphism, and can you instantiate an abstract class? In Java, what would you change in a class to make it abstract?   Answer Question
    • With C++:
      What functions are automatically provided when you create a class? How would you define the function signatures if you wanted to define them?
      When would you use a pointer vs. a reference?
      What is the difference between pass by reference and pass by value?

Given a table with columns: user | start_date | end_date | code
      How would you find an entry for a user with start_date=A and end_date=B, and insert if it doesn't exist?   Answer Question
    • With Python:
      Find the second largest value in a list.
      Find the square root of a number without using math.sqrt()   Answer Question
    • We deal with large numbers, too large for an integer primitive type. So we represent integers with a singly linked list where each node contains a digit. But this representation does not come with an adding function. We need you to write this function.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Durham, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview. Asked me if you have any experience with Java Database, C++. Asked me several machine learning questions and an algorithm question, about the logn. Ask me a puzzle at last. The puzzle is about 11 balls, only one of them is different weight between them but you don't know it is lighter or heavier. You only have 3 times to scale and you need to find the different ball.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

University Recruiting, exchanged greetings, immediately was told the hiring criteria is changed and hiring only developers!! Not expected from MS!! Came prepared for a Business Analyst role within the technology division, ended up being told most of the hiring is only for development. The behavioral questions were asked from a sheet of paper!!! The interviewer just wanted to get done for day and felt the need to rush the process.

Interview Questions

• Strenghts, weakness , Situation where you delt with stress and how you overcome it, Questions based on resume, Academic projects   Answer Question

Analyst - Technology Interview

Interview

A quick, on-campus interview that covers the most basic aspects of business analyst roles in the technology department. Need to know the phases involved with the development of a typical product, need to understand the relationship between project managers and programmers, as well as the coordination of client need and product delivery.

Analyst - Technology Interview

Interview

The interview was really clean. They allowed you time to answer the questions and they were friendly.The process is long and tedious, I suggest one goes to Harvard or Yale in order to really get a good chance to work at this bank.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was they wanted me to build an LBO in 10 seconds, not sure if that is possible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I was already interning at MS in the summer and had one technical interview before being given a full time offer. The interview touched upon the technical topics of what I worked on over the summer.
    Whether or not the company decides to extend a full-time offer depends on the work done over the summer and the performance on this interview.

Interview Questions

• It was primarily advanced Java concepts I had studied and worked with over the summer.   Answer Question

Analyst - Technology Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

First round on campus. 1-1 interview. Second one in NYC. We were invited for a full day. MS pays for all expenses. First there was a panel, where we could ask questions, then there was a group exercise. Lastly, there were two 1-1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• First round on campus - no unexpected questions. Why Tech analyst? The interviewer asked me about my experience and asked some technical questions related to my experience. E.g. "so when you worked with python, can you explain to me what is an object oriented language, and how you used this in your work?" Second round - behavioral questions, some case-like questions, and one group exercise.   1 Answer

Analyst - Technology Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in September 2015.

Interview

I applied on the career portal of my school. Got an on-campus interview. It was only 30 minutes, went through my resume for 15 minutes. 2 technical questions in the end. I heard back in 3 weeks about the onsite interview in New York. I already agreed to another offer so I turned that down.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you implement multiple inheritance in Java?
      Q: What is an inner class?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Applied through school's career portal. Got an on-campus interview. It was only 30 minutes. Went through my resume for the first 15 minutes. 2 conceptual technical questions at the end. I heard back in 3 weeks asking me to have the onsite interview in New York. I already accepted an offer from another company. So I did not go.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you implement multiple inheritance in Java?
      Q: What is an inner class?   Answer Question