Morgan Stanley Investment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morgan Stanley Investment Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

First round interview was through the phone and an analyst or associate just tries to get to know you better and ask questions about your resume. If you pass, then you get a super day where you get interviewed by a few people with more detailed questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

First, there's a resume screen. I didn't have any contacts, but I suspect that most successful applicants have their resumes flagged by an employee. After that, I had a phone interview with an employee. She was very nice, and asked basic questions about my resume, about "why Morgan Stanley?" along with a "what's going on in the markets?" Then, I was invited to the superday in New York. They pay for your transportation etc., but keep the receipts! The superday consisted of a total of 5 interviews over the course of a few hours, with a couple of breaks. All of them were one-on-one. The interviewers were of mixed experience/fatigue. I could tell that some of them hadn't slept much recently. The interview questions were almost all "tell me about yourself"-type questions. Very easy. Be prepared with the usual "why MS" stuff as well. I heard back three weeks later that I hadn't been selected. Overall, fine experience, fun interview.

Interview Questions

• "Oh, you study ____? Tell me your thoughts on this *recent political event that relates to your studies*."   Answer Question
    • Why Morgan Stanley?   Answer Question
    • "Tell me about *random achievement on your resume*."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Resume screen when I applied on campus followed by phone interview and superday on site at the Times Square office location. Nothing too difficult or surprising, about 70% behavioral and then a few questions on financial economics material

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you would adjust risk for different individuals   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2016.

Interview

First round phone interview after applying online through university followed by super day where they fly you up to New York. Pretty quick process since the recruiting timeline has been shifted up earlier.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Standard post-MBA associate recruiting process from top tier MBA program. Interview process includes 2 interviewers asking technical questions and second interviewer asking soft questions. Weeks of networking and recruiting events before the actual interview took place.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers will ask all types of technical questions about WACC, DCFs, conceptual questions about financial statements, reasons for transactions, basically anything they want but prep guides are useful to guide prep.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Began with 1 on 1 phone screen with analyst. Very basic/standard technical and behavioral questions, almost lifted directly from the guides.

Progressed to another phone screen with an MD. Again, mostly standard stuff, although he followed up on questions to test my knowledge and understanding. Was progressed to superday, although I had already accepted another offer so I declined.

Interview Questions

• What are the three financial statements?
      Walk me through a DCF?
      What are three reasons a company would have different multiples than one in a similar industry?
      What is your greatest failure?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online at the end of July and had a first round phone interview in mid-August. Around late August I was notified that I was invited to Superday interviews. The Superday was four back-to-back interviews with one VP, two EDs, and one MD. One of the EDs was tasked with the technical portion of the interview, and the other three interviews were mainly behavioral/fit aside from some basic valuation questions.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    • What are the different ways to value a company?   1 Answer
    • Walk me through the financial statements.   1 Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in September 2016.

Interview

Applied on their website and got a first round phone interview two months later. Walked through the resume and why I would like to work at Morgan Stanley and then mostly technical from there. About 12-15 questions and missed 2, but interviewer was helpful in explaining. Been approx. a week but haven't heard back.

Application

Interview

The process took about 6 weeks. The first round was on the phone, and the final round was in New York, NY. I did not receive an offer for the position.

Interview Questions

• What are some specific line items from CFO, CFI and CFF on the cash flow statement?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume through on campus recruiting. Received a phone screen interview. Phone screen ran through typical types of Investment Banking questions. Types of valuation and the intricacies of each valuation method. Be prepared to discuss different scenarios in which you need to use each of the different valuation methods.