Morgan Stanley Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morgan Stanley Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2017

3.3

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2016.

Interview

First round phone interview after applying online through university followed by super day where they fly you up to New York. Pretty quick process since the recruiting timeline has been shifted up earlier.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Began with 1 on 1 phone screen with analyst. Very basic/standard technical and behavioral questions, almost lifted directly from the guides.

Progressed to another phone screen with an MD. Again, mostly standard stuff, although he followed up on questions to test my knowledge and understanding. Was progressed to superday, although I had already accepted another offer so I declined.

Interview Questions

• What are the three financial statements?
      Walk me through a DCF?
      What are three reasons a company would have different multiples than one in a similar industry?
      What is your greatest failure?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online at the end of July and had a first round phone interview in mid-August. Around late August I was notified that I was invited to Superday interviews. The Superday was four back-to-back interviews with one VP, two EDs, and one MD. One of the EDs was tasked with the technical portion of the interview, and the other three interviews were mainly behavioral/fit aside from some basic valuation questions.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    • What are the different ways to value a company?   1 Answer
    • Walk me through the financial statements.   1 Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in September 2016.

Interview

Applied on their website and got a first round phone interview two months later. Walked through the resume and why I would like to work at Morgan Stanley and then mostly technical from there. About 12-15 questions and missed 2, but interviewer was helpful in explaining. Been approx. a week but haven't heard back.

Application

Interview

The process took about 6 weeks. The first round was on the phone, and the final round was in New York, NY. I did not receive an offer for the position.

Interview Questions

• What are some specific line items from CFO, CFI and CFF on the cash flow statement?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume through on campus recruiting. Received a phone screen interview. Phone screen ran through typical types of Investment Banking questions. Types of valuation and the intricacies of each valuation method. Be prepared to discuss different scenarios in which you need to use each of the different valuation methods.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Fairly standard, had phone interviews first, and then got invited for the final round. The Hong Kong team flew over and all the applicants had the interviews in the New York office. Had 3 interviews consecutively with one or multiple interviewers. No technical questions. More about how hungry you are and how informed you are about MS/IBD

Interview Questions

• Tell me a recent deal that MS Hong Kong team did.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

phone screening then superday
    phone screening was with an alum and superday was pretty typical of that of other banks
    didn't get an offer and wished I got feedback.. otherwise was a great experience in my opinion
    interviewers were all very nice

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

1 Phone interview (Analyst) + Superday (5 interviews, VP, VP, VP, Associate, Associate)

Great communication throughout and very quick response after Superday. Basic technical preparation is Key to tick a box during the phone interview, but ultimately they focus on personality and fit so you better be interesting to talk to!

Interview Questions

• What industries interest you, and how would this effect your group choice?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non existent.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by my university recruiter for a 20 minute phone interview. Questions were all reasonable and expected, interviewer was also very friendly. Felt like a conversation. Asked me three technicals towards the end regarding FCF, EV and LBOs.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you major in if the financial services industry didn't exist?   Answer Question