Morgan Stanley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2017
2,723 Interview Reviews

3.1

Interview

2 rounds- one with Bal team and one with London office. A couple of Behavior questions followed by many professional questions on OTC products,. Also asked about my understanding of oerational risk process

Interview Questions

• What do you know about exchange traded derivatives and OTC derivatives   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethel, CT

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Bethel, CT).

Interview

Had two rounds of interviews and everyone I met was great and welcoming. First day I met with 4 people and the second was two people. Got an offer about 2 weeks after the last interview. Pleasant experience.

Market Risk Analyst Interview

Interview

Technical questions and brain teaser

Wealth Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, fairly standard process. Interviewed at Morgan Stanley in New York City. Was told what the responsibilities would be during the process. Asked about my previous experiences in finance/banking.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume? Why Morgan Stanley? What do you hope to gain from this internship?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

1.) General Reasoning Test - online, 25 minutes timed. 2.) Financial Advisor Assessment - online. 3.) 15-minute phone screen with member of WM recruiting team. 4.) Digital interview - 30 minutes, 7 days to complete. 5.) Local office contacts you to schedule 15-minute phone call with Branch Manager. 6.) 30-minute in-person interview at the branch office. 7.) Potential follow-ups. It seems mostly up to the candidate whether they get an offer or not depending on how much effort they want to put in to convince the interviewers that this job is their be all end all. The two people I interviewed with were professional and easy to talk to - it was evident that they were experienced at having conversations with people about their goals and plans.

Quantitative skills are only an initial formality (pass the licensing exams) and salesmanship and random luck in having wealthy connections sounded to be key for this position. There is a constant push in every conversation to get your HNWI contacts. The feeling I get from this office (maybe it is just the mindset of this industry) is that there is less interest in finding a successful fit for the role than to exploit a candidate for their wealthy connections. The model seems to be weighted heavily to those who are already wealthy or connected to the wealthy and are not necessarily hungry to succeed. Strange pipeline.

There's an almost 90% failure rate for FAs perhaps indicating the hiring model could use some tweaking. Consider whether hiring someone who may know wealthy people but frequently fails has much motivation to succeed in something so challenging. Compare that person against someone who may not have many/any wealthy connections but has a history of succeeding in difficult situations. That is an indicator that the person is driven to not fail and will most likely dedicate themselves to do whatever it takes to succeed in their commitments.

Media Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

It went very smoothly. There were several interviews, and the goals/exceptions for the role were clear. The challenges were also discussed, which I found helpful. It's important to have transparency at that stage of the process.

Interview Questions

• Would the commute be a challenge for me?   1 Answer

Risk Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Easy process. Have only gotten the first round interview. P h o n e call with no technicals and all behavioral. It lasted for just about around 20 m i n s

Interview Questions

• How did you step up as a team member?
      Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Technology Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

1st round - interviewed on campus, applied through career website for a different job but got interview for this role. 30 minutes technical interview. Rude interviewers.
    2nd round - brought in for super-day. Had a panel, group activity, then brought into a room with 50 interviewers lined up at tables. Completed three 45 minute interviews. The first one went really well, second was okay, and the third went badly. Some of the interviewers were really rude and didn't understand the type of role I was looking for. None of the employees seemed very happy to work there.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you were asked to develop a poker game application. What kinds of questions would you ask and how would you implement it?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward. Digital interview was something new for me and questions are mainly behavioral. I'm not sure that requiring young financial advisors to have a current network or you fail is the best way to go about things.

Software Developer(Java)-Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied via third party recruiter. The whole process occurred quickly and smoothly. Get request for phone screen(30 -45 mins) within 3 days that refer program(recruiter submit your application and you need to complete the application via taleo). Phone screen was held by the team lead(10+ yrs with MS), 1. basic tech questions : Java fundamentals+ Spring +Spring MVC + RDBMS (Oracle/DB2/Sybase, anyone is fine) + multi-threading. I mentioned i was not an expert on front end , so all the front end questions were bypassed. 2. Describe the most challenging moment, and how you deal with it. 3 Approaches on tuning up system performance. Get request for onsite the same day, was push to meet in the same week. Onsite was held in midtown-NYC,4 rounds/ 4 people from diff team. For first 3 three rounds , 5-10 mins background discussion + 15 mins tech questions(Java/Spring/DB/SQL, depends on which team was the interviewer from) + 15 coding challenges (1~2 questions, Hackerrank/CarrerCup easy - mid difficulty , done on paper/while board, language can be any you prefer(Java/JS/Scala/Python...), it is fine if not finished the coding, but need to explain the logic ) + 5~ 10 mins questions against the role/MS. Offer was given in the following week.

Interview Questions

• Java fundamentals+ Spring +Spring MVC + RDBMS (Oracle/DB2/Sybase) + multi-threading   Answer Question
    • Describe the most challenging moment, and how you deal with it.   Answer Question
    • 3 Approaches on tuning up system performance   Answer Question